Favorite bass brand?

• Thread starter Swedjent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simulclass83

Reaction score
Bongo 6
24azz47.jpg

Stealth.jpg

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Very yes.

edit: although it's worth pointing out that the bottom one is a string short.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
You can have your stealth. Of the finishes they currently offer for it, I'd take tangerine pearl in a heartbeat.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Can't say I've tried a whole lotta bass's but I really love my Schecter Stiletto custom 6 string

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not a fan of warwicks, don't like the neck profile typically. Fenders are good utility knives. I have gotten great results out of my Carvin. I am in need of a 6 or 7 banger though, string count depends what I decide I will be doing with it primarily.

EBMM are superb, with points to the stingray/stingray 5 for having oiled necks. As good or better than my carvin, if so only marginally though. They don't have 19mm string spacing however, which is a few lost points. If there was a stingray 6 I would likely hop in a heartbeat.

:agreed:

I will say though, my StingRay 5s DESTROYED my Carvin basses as far as build goes. In fact I'd go as far as saying that EBMM basses are just as good, build wise, as some of the most highly regarded custom stuff I've been able to play by Alembic, Fodera, MTD, and Roscoe.

simulclass83

Reaction score

I will say though, my StingRay 5s DESTROYED my Carvin basses as far as build goes. In fact I'd go as far as saying that EBMM basses are just as good, build wise, as some of the most highly regarded custom stuff I've been able to play by Alembic, Fodera, MTD, and Roscoe.

This man speaks wise words. Honestly, if I was primarily a bassist, I wouldn't even go custom, I would just get an EBMM.

Reaction score
Although I've never owned a bass from either company, the best playing basses I've played are Ibanez and Fender. The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is fucking amazing.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

It is entirely possible I got the luck of the draw on construction, I have had good, mediocre, and great carvins pass through my hands. There is a reason I don't deal with them anymore (aside from the constantly fucking up my orders too :lol:)

I need a new nut though, G is getting low after 4 years. They need to not cut the damned fret slots too deep then merely filling the excess too. They are bad for that.

Last edited:

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score

Max are you smoking some good stuff because every Bongo, Stingray, and Sterling I have played was less than up to par. Granted I haven't got one directly from Ernie Ball's shop either. to be honest my Olp stingray had better qc then any of my buddies EBMM Stingrays. This is just from my experience. I was just wondering if I'm missing something?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Ibanez SR Prestige series are perfect for me, as I like narrow necks on basses. I'm also a fan of nice P-basses as well.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Max are you smoking some good stuff because every Bongo, Stingray, and Sterling I have played was less than up to par. Granted I haven't got one directly from Ernie Ball's shop either. to be honest my Olp stingray had better qc then any of my buddies EBMM Stingrays. This is just from my experience. I was just wondering if I'm missing something?

That's really odd. Did he get them new or used? Were they sitting on the sales floor for some time?

I'd say that EBMM has been making the most consistently good basses in that price range since I can remember.

I've owned four EBMM bass, two Stingrays and two Stingray5s and they all were amazing. One was purchased from Bass Central in FL, one was from the Guitar Center om Hallendale, FL, and two were from MAE in Fort Lauderdale, FL, so it can't really be the shops.

I have seen and held some less than amazing ones, they can't all be zingers, but for the most part they've really impressed me the most, especially since you can get a used one for fairly cheap. Even new single pickups models are pretty cheap considering the quality of build and materials.

As for those old OLPs, the predecessors to the Sterling brand, talk about hit or miss. The shop I was doing some overflow work-for for awhile got a few with frozen truss rods, and falling out frets. :lol:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Hmm... I think I'd have to split this in terms of price range.

Sub-$400
-Squier. If you play a bunch of them, you can get some absolutely FANTASTIC Vintage Modifieds or Classic Vibes. The VM '77 Jazzes, '70s Jazzes, '70s Jazz Vs, or CV '50s Ps are great instruments.

Sub-$1000:
-Schecter. Consistently great-sounding basses, great necks, solid hardware, good electronics. The Stiletto Studio series are fantastic, and I own an old C-4 Elite that still gets regular playtime alongside my more expensive basses.

$1k-3k
-Rickenbacker. If you get a good one, they're awesome. Incredible rock basses and far more versatile than that if you can stop hammering them with a pick long enough to find out.
-Dingwall. Great necks, light weight, solid construction, incredible hardware, great playability, excellent low Bs. Great sound too, very versatile.

$3k+
-Rob Allen. The Mouse is insanely easy to play and sounds enormous.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
^^ There are some truly filthy things I would do for a Rob Allen.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
That's really odd. Did he get them new or used? Were they sitting on the sales floor for some time?

I'd say that EBMM has been making the most consistently good basses in that price range since I can remember.

I've owned four EBMM bass, two Stingrays and two Stingray5s and they all were amazing. One was purchased from Bass Central in FL, one was from the Guitar Center om Hallendale, FL, and two were from MAE in Fort Lauderdale, FL, so it can't really be the shops.

I have seen and held some less than amazing ones, they can't all be zingers, but for the most part they've really impressed me the most, especially since you can get a used one for fairly cheap. Even new single pickups models are pretty cheap considering the quality of build and materials.

As for those old OLPs, the predecessors to the Sterling brand, talk about hit or miss. The shop I was doing some overflow work-for for awhile got a few with frozen truss rods, and falling out frets. :lol:

Ah I wasn't thinking about it at the time The ones I played and my freinds have owned where all 90's models some they bought new both 5 and 4s and some used same and the newer ones I have played have all been at chain stores like Guitar Center/ Sam Ash ect. that may be the big difference There qc at that time may have been quite bad back then. As for the Olp's thats sadening all the ones I got to play where jems just goes to show you cant truely judge based of your own experiences alone lol. Im Glad you have had good buys max cause they do soynd te sex. I may have to give these another chance when I get back from my deployment:idea:. I might be pleasantly surprised. :agreed: cheers for the replies Max

')