Favorite Drum Kit Layout?

• Thread starter Marked Man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
This thread is making me jealous of anyone who has a kit to play, period. Why are drums so loud and big? I sort of want to put together a small electronic kit, like just get a few pads or mesh heads and hook it up to a drum plugin. But it's probably a chore to get it working right.

Marked Man

Reaction score
This thread is making me jealous of anyone who has a kit to play, period. Why are drums so loud and big? I sort of want to put together a small electronic kit, like just get a few pads or mesh heads and hook it up to a drum plugin. But it's probably a chore to get it working right.

Electronic kits have finally become highly expandable in recent years, and can sound pretty convincing in recordings, but the the experience of playing acoustic drums is incomparable. And of course the visual impact. But the noise question is a big one for most people in reality.

It was interesting to see Bill Bruford (electronic) and Alan White (acoustic) playing at the same time in concert on the Yes - Union tour. I've always favored a highly organic (REAL) drum sound, but there can be times when electronic options are fun.

Marked Man

Reaction score
So Drumeo does this with repros of Peart's monster kits where they run through songs and stuff as more of an exhibition, and it's plain cool seeing all that stuff setup and seeing a drummer so devoted to just nailing it 1:1.

But, I don't think it's an exercise in musicality.

Much like guitar covers, rote playthroughs can be cool and entertaining, but they're also usually really boring. It's far more fun watching someone interpret the piece, capture the vibe or even flip it.

The average listener, and ESPECIALLY non-musician listener, has a tendency to think a cover should sound exactly like the original, which I find pointless, because someone already did that (probably much better than most imitators could).

I exercise creativity via reinterpretations of the certain sections in the same spirit, as a guitarist by choice and on drums in part due to my technical limitations and kit limitations for advanced material. I feel like if I build my ultimate kit, the invisible barrier will be removed and I can be inspired to reach higher levels. I am often inspired by new guitar gear in this way.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I don't play drums either, but I've always wanted to. I think a 6 piece with two up & two down would be a really great setup, though for gigging I'd almost certainly just use a 4 piece for practicality's sake.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMG_7051.jpeg

Mine !
A Tama Starclassic Performer. 100% Birch from 10´´ to 16’´. A 22’´ bass with a DW double kick.
Zildjian cymbals A Custom 16’´, 14’´, a 20’´ ride a 10’´ spash and a K Custom 11’´ HH.

I love that powerful sound. I would prefer a 22’´ inch ride but it’s too costy for my use.
The 14´´ crash may get swapped by a 18’´.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was always fairly simple with my layout. I got use to watching Trey Cool from Green Day play drums. So I ended up liking similar set ups. 1 bass. snare and high hat to my left. Then 2 toms and the floor tom. 2 symbols above each tom and one over to the right. Not technical I know but that's what I was use to.