Favorite Female Vocalists

• Thread starter Encephalon5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I like Simone's singing, I cannot abide epica. The new singer for nightwish sounds good, less abrassive than Tarja was. Floor Janson (After Forever) is great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I like Simone's singing, I cannot abide epica. The new singer for nightwish sounds good, less abrassive than Tarja was. Floor Janson (After Forever) is great.

I was a huge fan of NW back in the day, had no problem with Tarja leaving, was thrilled that the new singer was Swedish, and that she has an amazing range... but I can barely listen to the new NW anyway :( I love pop and rock but barely anything of what I loved about the original records with Tarja was left on DPP.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Haha I know this one is going to seem a bit gay, but I think Barbara Streisand is a great female vocalist

I also like Sara Bareilles also

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
With all of the female soprano opera singers out there, I'm surprised I haven't seen more high-caliber female vocalists in symphonic metal. That Ancient Bards seems pretty amazing, but the vocals just didn't grab me. Nothing wrong with them, just that I was really impressed by the guitar and bass and keyboards, and the singer was good, but didn't have "it." I might have to find more of their stuff and have a change of heart, though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of NW back in the day, had no problem with Tarja leaving, was thrilled that the new singer was Swedish, and that she has an amazing range... but I can barely listen to the new NW anyway :( I love pop and rock but barely anything of what I loved about the original records with Tarja was left on DPP.

I rather enjoyed the departure from what they had, it was nice to hear something different from them. I am not a very big nightwish fan one way or another however. Used to enjoy it but my tastes have changed a lot over the years.

Jay Jay

The Djent Plane
Reaction score
Metal: ToTheArk, iwrestledabearonce

Non-metal: Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Flyleaf (I really like them, don't know why :noplease:) The Wild Moccasins, Cocorosie (I'd slap myself if someone from this board liked them)

WOW! Somebody beat me to plugging my own band!

Anyway, just so you guys can give it a listen, here's the vocalist of ToTheArk, the band I'm in with Drewsif.

http://soundcloud.com/drewsifstalin/october-11th

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot her on my previous post in this thread. She's a singer from Spain, introduced to me personally by a friend about a year ago. Amazing singer and super fun person. This girl's got an insane range, and sings with incredible feel and soul. I've always categorized her as a female, Spanish version of Tom Waits (lots of influence from the guy), with her own touch. Check her out :)

Interesting melodies in this one, and it gets better and better as it progresses.

This one's in English. I'm not sure if it's a cover, but I love the haunting feeling it delivers.

I was at the concert on that second video. She puts out incredible live shows (even though the venues she plays in are usually extremely small).

troyguitar

Reaction score
Nightwish from Oceanborn through Century Child/OTHAFA was incredible. Some of my favorite music ever made.

For more straightforward rock and metal I like Doro and Sinergy, both are very fun. Sinergy is like the good version of Children of Bodom :lol:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Julieta Venegas

Youjeen

Maki

Plus a few that have already been mentioned, like Anneke and Simone.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
With all of the female soprano opera singers out there, I'm surprised I haven't seen more high-caliber female vocalists in symphonic metal. That Ancient Bards seems pretty amazing, but the vocals just didn't grab me. Nothing wrong with them, just that I was really impressed by the guitar and bass and keyboards, and the singer was good, but didn't have "it." I might have to find more of their stuff and have a change of heart, though.

The one I linked is a single version, the actual one has a much longer instrumental break in it. But if you're going to look for more of them, they're fairly new and they've only got one album out last I checked. I'm willing to bet they'll grow a bit on their next release. Be warned though: it is very, very typical power metal - complete with an entire story behind a whole series of albums.

etiam

Reaction score
It's completely unacceptable that this thread died without mention of F. The Mouth of Satan:

SUBMIT.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
These bands have something special because of their vocalist. (Behind it I wrote the description I gave to there vocals.)
UneXpecT (Crazy, Cleans, Mysterious)
Rolo Tomassi (Wild, Young, Beautifull)
Diablo Swing Orchestra (Powerfull, Fun)
No Doubt (Pretty, Whiney, Young)
Otep (Agressive, Nice)
Pin-up Went down (Sexy, Weird)

Maybe a bit of Animal Alpha too.
Don't really like the vocalist from IWABO, the band is fun, but it's not that her vocals make that band fun (to me that is.)
Paramore's vocalist has a pretty good voice, but then again, it's not her vocals making the band special (this is again, just my opinion.)
The Agonist's vocalist I purely like because of her striped leggings in that one video and her grown at the start of that other song (keep forgetting the names.)
I dislike stuff like Evanesence and Epica and stuff like that, so I don't know anything about those vocalists.

But the REAL winner for me (when PURELY listening to the voice compared with the band, and not just because of the fact she's pretty or has boobs.)
The vocalist I find the best at doing vocals is the vocalist that was in Atrox: I think it's "Monika Edvardsen"
The CD's "Orgasm" and "Contentum" are really great (Terrestials is right between those, but haven't checked that one out yet.)

She has a crazy witch like voice with a very great range and her vocals make the music special. After her departure (2004) the band just isn't that special anymore to me.

Here are some clips (Once you hear the wicked parts of her vocals you'll know what I mean.)
Sultry Air of the Contentum CD by Atrox.

(Couldn't find that other song, but just listen to some if you like this.)

')