Favorite high gain amps

• Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So far I have been quite happy with my boosted Bogner Uberschall and Mezzabarba MZero amps.
But on the hunt for the magical third high gain amp to complement these two. Looking at Diezel VH4, Mesa Boogie JP2C, and others.

Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Get the Diezel VH4 pedal or VH4-2 pedal, run those into the FX Return on either of your amps, and then get the JP2C.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get the Diezel VH4 pedal or VH4-2 pedal, run those into the FX Return on either of your amps, and then get the JP2C.

Great idea and most cost effective way! If my bonus is good next year having both amps and another custom guitar would be a dream for me to have ultimate studio.

BurningRome

Reaction score
After owning the Rivera K-Tre, Orange Thunderverb 200, Rockerverb 100, Mesa Dual Recto, Mesa Stiletto, Orange OR100, Matamp OR120, Randall Satan, EVH III, Victory Kraken, Framus Dragon and Cobra, Fryette Sig X, Fryette Pittbull Ultra Lead and Fryette D60 and D120 led me to walk away with these as my favorite amps.

1. Fryette ultra lead
2. Orange Thunderverb 200
3. Rivera K-Tre

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After owning the Rivera K-Tre, Orange Thunderverb 200, Rockerverb 100, Mesa Dual Recto, Mesa Stiletto, Orange OR100, Matamp OR120, Randall Satan, EVH III, Victory Kraken, Framus Dragon and Cobra, Fryette Sig X, Fryette Pittbull Ultra Lead and Fryette D60 and D120 led me to walk away with these as my favorite amps.

1. Fryette ultra lead
2. Orange Thunderverb 200
3. Rivera K-Tre

Played a Fryette UL amp very good amp. Looking at Diezel VH4, Mesa JP2C or Wizard MTL as third amp. Probably get the Mesa JP2C as more cost effective and ticks the boxes for Dream Theater and Metallica riffs I enjoy playing. But Mesa has shortage and do not see any JP2C amps available anywhere right now. Will see next year if supply chain issue improves.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Played a Fryette UL amp very good amp. Looking at Diezel VH4, Mesa JP2C or Wizard MTL as third amp. Probably get the Mesa JP2C as more cost effective and ticks the boxes for Dream Theater and Metallica riffs I enjoy playing. But Mesa has shortage and do not see any JP2C amps available anywhere right now. Will see next year if supply chain issue improves.
Not sure where you’re located but there are a few on Reverb. High prices though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Mark IV is a great amp, too. Maybe look around and see if one pops up for a decent price.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What sound do you want?

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You definitely need a 5150/6505 in there somewhere. It doesn’t get more magical than the red channel on the OG (well, and the blue channel on the 5150iii 50w 6l6).

good amp and I had a 6505 at some point but after playing a Soldano SLO amp and EVH 5150 this weekend, would get the Soldano amp even though price is way higher.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
A Mesa Mark will give you the most different kind of voice from the ones you have, so I'd def go with a Mark.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Guess OP is buying a SLO, lock it up.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Why only looking on the bigger brands? Best thing I ever did was to look at smaller companies. I would recommend a Kaos Hatred. I will take this thing to the grave. Truck driver Shawn got his recently and put up a video of it. Also since you mentioned the Diezel VH4, the owner once showed me a comparison whith said amp and a Randall. Could get it to sound close enough if you are after that, but imo it can do more than that.
Another new amp I got recently was a NRG Reactor VI, might also be worth to take a look at.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- Peavey triple XXX (if you find one)
- Marshall DSL

All the previously mentioned in the topic are amazing amps, it really depends on the tone you want to approach / cover...

BrutalRob

Reaction score
The term "hand-built" always makes me lough. what is the other option? Feet-built? Seriously, the only thing it comes down to is how skilled is the person assembling the amp and how much time does he have to do this carefully. And the quality of the components of course

')