Favorite high gain amps

• Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I've owned most of the high gain amps that you could think of over the years and have recently settled on my KSR Gemini. That amp is as close to perfect for me, as I've ever had. It has an almost endless supply of tones available that I could almost get down to 1 amp...but I wont of course, haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've owned most of the high gain amps that you could think of over the years and have recently settled on my KSR Gemini. That amp is as close to perfect for me, as I've ever had. It has an almost endless supply of tones available that I could almost get down to 1 amp...but I wont of course, haha
KSR is another cool option. Very unqiue sounding and can complement the Uber/Mezza very well.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
KSR is another cool option. Very unqiue sounding and can complement the Uber/Mezza very well.
I may end up buying a KSR again at some point, but the Ceres was pretty damn high gain. I'm not sure if I would have a use for either if I have stuff covering Marshalls (Tech 21 British) and high gain amp style stuff (Revv).

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Fryette Deliverance, 100 Watt Stealth, and the Mark V are some of my favorites. My absolute favorites are multi watt rectifiers. Any of them would compliment your amps well.

The KSR Ares is another amazing amp. Not as tight as the stealth or the mark v but sounds great boosted. I’ve also owned a KSR colossus and an orthos 2. The colossus is great but I preferred the ares. The orthos was not good. I immediately sold it after I got it and the guy I sold it to immediately put it up for sale after he got it (I know at least 5 people have owned this specific amp at this point so it might be a lemon).

You could also get an axe fx iii and a power station :)

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Doesn't the Mezzabarba already cover that SLO sound?

Yes and no. I played a Soldano SLO 30 watt amp this weekend then at home played my Mezzabarba MZero and while there are similar tones they are different. Mezzabarba sorta has its own thing going on. I find both amps too close in tone however to justify paying 3k for a Soldano amp. At that point, getting something like a Diezel VH4 may be better choice in the long run to save up for. A lot of my favorite bands have used Diezel and Mesa amps. Mesa has a weird supply shortage so getting a new JP2C amp right now is next to impossible but thats ok as I am waiting until next year to buy a new amp and guitar. I have enough now for practice and recording.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I may end up buying a KSR again at some point, but the Ceres was pretty damn high gain. I'm not sure if I would have a use for either if I have stuff covering Marshalls (Tech 21 British) and high gain amp style stuff (Revv).

I would get the KSR Ceres preamp pedal to add to my tone setup for a good price and less space and cost than a KSR amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I would get the KSR Ceres preamp pedal to add to my tone setup for a good price and less space and cost than a KSR amp.
I only ran it through IRs but from the clips I've seen, running the Ceres into a tube power amp would be fucking monstrous. Ddefinitely try that route.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Do it. I had one for a time, then sold it to Jazzy. Unfortunately, it apparently died on him sometime later, which sucks.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
My favorites are/were:

1. Peavey 5150 - this has to be #1 because, until the recent price hike, there wasn't anything that came close to it for 2-3 times the price.
2. Mesa Rev F Racktifier
3. Rivera K-Tre Reverb
4. Mesa Mark IV
5. Bogner 30w 100b Prototype

For reference, here's every amp I've owned:

Reet

Reaction score
I really love my Splawn Quickrod 100. Highy recommend for something different gain structure and feel wise.I sold my EVH 50 watt shortly after.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The term "hand-built" always makes me lough. what is the other option? Feet-built? Seriously, the only thing it comes down to is how skilled is the person assembling the amp and how much time does he have to do this carefully. And the quality of the components of course
Handbuilt, as opposed to PCP circuitboard and automated assemblyline built. Assuming there was a person involved in the circuit outside of initial design isn't always a safe bet.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is the law of diminishing returns on amps like most gear. Beyond 1k, it is paying for name brand and some quality. Compare a cheap $200 Boss Katana amp to a boutique tube amp one can tell the difference. It is how much cash one has and how much one wants or needs a certain amp or guitar. I like quality gear and just save up and buy it when I want or have need.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool love my Uberschall for modern downtune metal stuff so far with boost in front it slays. I use Mezzabarba MZero for classic rock, blues and thrash metal with boost in front it gets the job done.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
If you want that early DT and Metallica sound, a Mesa Mark III would be a great option. Nowhere near as feature rich as a jp2c, but it definitely nails that raw, gnarly quality to Pull Me Under's rhythm tone or the stuff off of MoP. The Triple Crown also does that sound quite well but is more polished on the high end ime.

A more reasonable option is something like a 50cal+ or F series. Those are still pretty reasonable and can do those kinds of tones as well. The F series has some recto flavor to it as well, so it can be a lot of fun for chunkier downtuned sludge or whatever.

If you can find one the Peters Bodyhammer is perfect for that kind of tone too. Extremely punchy and very tight feeling when playing.

Some of my personal favorite amps:
MI Audio Megalith Beta - Still one of the punchiest and highest gain amps I've ever played. It's always an absolute blast to mess around with, and it covers a good amount of tonal ground.
Kustom Double Cross - Also extremely punchy and fun to play. It does a good job of covering a huge swathe of tones as well.
Peters FSM- Imagine a throatier, tighter 5150 that has the cleans of 5153.
Mesa MKIII- My favorite of the mark series. The nasty raw aggression it can get is pretty unique. Of course it does all the other cleaner/smoother mark stuff too, but I mostly use it for caveman riffs and thrash/death metal wankery.

Last edited:
')