Favorite high gain amps

• Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorite amp that I've ever played is my Orange Rockerverb Mark III 100.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
Well nothing bad anout having too much amps ;)
I had
Crate steath
Laboga mr hector
Dv mark triple 6
Amt stonehead
Krank rev pro 50

I didnt like the dv mark and the laboga but i wanna give it another try
But i purchase a randall rh150g3 ( solid state) and i really dig it.
I’m looking for another krank rev, might go for a rev SST, curiously back to ss amp but it sounds fine to my hear.
I’d like to try the synergy stuff too! And Madison but i heard and read some mixed reviews quality wise….
Ah ah it never ends!

BurningRome

Reaction score
My favorite amp that I've ever played is my Orange Rockerverb Mark III 100.
Dude, the Rockerverb 100 sounds awesome, I've had a few however I always had an issue with my guitar getting lost in the live mix with another guitarist. It's a great amp, love the FX loop too when running delay and reverb through it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Dean Costello builds a model T kind of thing that absolutely destroys.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude, the Rockerverb 100 sounds awesome, I've had a few however I always had an issue with my guitar getting lost in the live mix with another guitarist. It's a great amp, love the FX loop too when running delay and reverb through it.
Yeah, I could definitely see that happening. I've never had to, nor will I ever use it in a band situation, perhaps maybe try and record with it, but that's all. I have tried preamps through the power amp and funnily enough, I find I get better results running straight through the front on the clean channel. That was just with my Klirrton Oh My Goat, though. I haven't tried any delay or reverb through it. I will say that this amp, for some reason, is WELL suited to playing black metal, especially with a doomy edge to it. I got mine in October of last year after ditching my 6505+. As much as people rave about THAT sound, it was getting very boring, very fast, and I hardly ever felt motivated to play. Now? With my Rockerverb? You'll call me crazy, but I swear that amp sounds better every time I play it and I've played different stuff through it. I tuned my PRS 277 down to A standard and played some Korn the other day? Fucking awesome for that. Turn the gain down, plug in my E standard Epiphone Les Paul? Just as good. I posted a thread awhile back, and that thing is MY holy grail and I don't feel the need to buy another head.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never really cared much for the Orange amps I have tried but that is just me. Did enjoy Dual Rectifier, Fryette, Soldano amps. Have not tried a JP2C or Diezel amp however on wish list to play.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
People seem to really like the Herbert.
My only issue with Herbert is that it's "3.5" channels instead of 4. Would make my life easier. Also the MIDI kinda sucks and the Twosie's MIDI is waaaaaaaaaaay better.

Herbert can get to like 90% of the Twosie sound, but any time I turn on my Twosie I can only play Metallica and Dream Theater.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Herbert seems better suited for modern metal and down tuned stuff than the VH4 and the JP2C is next to impossible right now to find a new one for sale. I’m thinking of selling my Mezzabarba, keeping the Uberschall and getting one of the Diezel amps. The VHX looks amazing as I wouldn’t need to use pedals with it and the load box and IR loader is super handy for a home recording studio. I wish Diezel had made the Herbie a true 4 channel amp like the VH4 and better MIDI. Anyways my budget is blown this year due to home and car repairs but next year would be fun to get a new amp and custom shop guitar maybe an 8 string for down tuned stuff.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
The Herbert seems better suited for modern metal and down tuned stuff than the VH4 and the JP2C is next to impossible right now to find a new one for sale. I’m thinking of selling my Mezzabarba, keeping the Uberschall and getting one of the Diezel amps. The VHX looks amazing as I wouldn’t need to use pedals with it and the load box and IR loader is super handy for a home recording studio. I wish Diezel had made the Herbie a true 4 channel amp like the VH4 and better MIDI. Anyways my budget is blown this year due to home and car repairs but next year would be fun to get a new amp and custom shop guitar maybe an 8 string for down tuned stuff.

I’d really like to try the VHX and compare it to my Herb. If it fit the bill and had all the FX/load box/IRs etc then I’d switch and off my Herb and Suhr RL in a heartbeat.

There’s a guy here that bought one and compared it to his VH4 and said it was identical. I trust Diezel but I’d still want to compare 1/1, you know? Just A/B them for myself so I knew with no doubts. I’d hate to sell my trusted stuff for a new thing and have it be lesser than…

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I found this blog helpful in comparing Diezel and Bogner amps

Now the VH4 would give me more variety in playing styles but Herbert the king of brutal modern metal yet ch4 of the VH4 can get me there as well. If Mesa solves there supply delay shortage issue by next year, I’m thinking of JP2C plus a Diezel VH4 pedal and get a Herbert amp later on.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
I found this blog helpful in comparing Diezel and Bogner amps

Now the VH4 would give me more variety in playing styles but Herbert the king of brutal modern metal yet ch4 of the VH4 can get me there as well. If Mesa solves there supply delay shortage issue by next year, I’m thinking of JP2C plus a Diezel VH4 pedal and get a Herbert amp later on.

Played/owned all of these amps and would agree. Herbert is the endgame for a lot of people and I’d include me in that.

I’ve owned a lot of amps and it’s still here and going nowhere.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Played/owned all of these amps and would agree. Herbert is the endgame for a lot of people and I’d include me in that.

I’ve owned a lot of amps and it’s still here and going nowhere.

yeah get the Herbert amp and VH4 pedal have best of both worlds. How would you rate the Diezel against the ENGL Savage?

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an ENGL Ironball amp but it’s smaller than the other amps so not good comparison.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I’d really like to try the VHX and compare it to my Herb. If it fit the bill and had all the FX/load box/IRs etc then I’d switch and off my Herb and Suhr RL in a heartbeat.

There’s a guy here that bought one and compared it to his VH4 and said it was identical. I trust Diezel but I’d still want to compare 1/1, you know? Just A/B them for myself so I knew with no doubts. I’d hate to sell my trusted stuff for a new thing and have it be lesser than…
I have one. It's pretty much identical, but I really wish it was stereo and didn't have effects.

')