Favorite high gain amps

• Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
Played a fest last month and one of the guys in the other band had one of the modern Soldano 100s I'm gonna go with that haha

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
For metal, my opinion (in the room)

Savage > Uberschall > Boosted Rectifier > Diezel > Ultralead
This definitely doesn't help my GAS. I've owned all those except the Savage, which has eluded me for years. I've tried to buy one several times but the deal always ended up falling through. Do you have the Mk I or II?

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
This definitely doesn't help my GAS. I've owned all those except the Savage, which has eluded me for years. I've tried to buy one several times but the deal always ended up falling through. Do you have the Mk I or II?
Engl or Herbert?

Engl. I have an e580 and Synergy Savage Module. I've played both a Savage 120 and the mk2 in person.

Diezel. I have a Hagen. I've played a VH4 and Herbert Mk2.

I played the Savage mk2 a few days after the Herbert mk2. When I played the Herbert, I was contemplating buying it because it was a clearance floor model and at a pretty decent price. But i didn't really want it... something felt off. When I played the mk2 Savage, I immediately wanted to buy it. But I decided to pick up the Synergy module instead. If I ever have more space, a Savage head is definitely on my list.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Engl or Herbert?

Engl. I have an e580 and Synergy Savage Module. I've played both a Savage 120 and the mk2 in person.

Diezel. I have a Hagen. I've played a VH4 and Herbert Mk2.

I played the Savage mk2 a few days after the Herbert mk2. When I played the Herbert, I was contemplating buying it because it was a clearance floor model and at a pretty decent price. But i didn't really want it... something felt off. When I played the mk2 Savage, I immediately wanted to buy it. But I decided to pick up the Synergy module instead. If I ever have more space, a Savage head is definitely on my list.
Sorry, meant the Savage I or II. I've heard mixed reviews on the II. Synergy is something I've been contemplating for a while as well. I had an old MTS setup years ago that I really liked but, ultimately, didn't feel it was as good as the real amps. I'd love to try a Synergy because I could replace the majority of my amps with it, plus more, for a lot less money... But I'd really have to find one and be able to A/B it with the real amp first. Since you'd still buy the Savage head, I have a feeling that it's better?

dspellman

Reaction score
I do have an HX Stomp modeler and use it for FX now and live works great as tube amps are heavy and not convenient when playing live.
I have 100W tube combo amps with serious transformers and an EV-L (how much does that magnet weigh?), and they'll come close to a 4x12 for pulling your shoulder out when you're hauling them around. Ooog.

The 1500W solid state power amp I use weighs 9 lbs. The cabinet I use (which supports 900W at 8 ohms) is made of heavily braced Okoume plywood and the speakers are all neo-based and the whole thing weighs 43 lbs. The Helix adds weight, the rack case adds some and the Line 6 G90 Wireless adds some more, but the whole mess is still less than one of the 4x12s I used to lug. I can get a female groupy to one-hand some of that into a venue and my whole rig is inside in one run from the car.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
Sorry, meant the Savage I or II. I've heard mixed reviews on the II. Synergy is something I've been contemplating for a while as well. I had an old MTS setup years ago that I really liked but, ultimately, didn't feel it was as good as the real amps. I'd love to try a Synergy because I could replace the majority of my amps with it, plus more, for a lot less money... But I'd really have to find one and be able to A/B it with the real amp first. Since you'd still buy the Savage head, I have a feeling that it's better?
Honestly didn't play the the Savage, Savage mk2 or Synergy module back to back. They all have a similar character since I liked all 3 immediately. ;) The module also sounds different in different power amps. I'd honestly probably grab an Engl power amp before the Savage head, moreso because I have other rack preamps.

I can say that the Synergy module and E580 don't sound the same, which surprised me somewhat. I was kind of hoping to use the module away from my computer. They have the same overall voicing, but the module is really rough and raw sounding. The preamp is very refined and smooth. Neither is necessarily worse. I would definitely want to compare the head to both at some point.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Played a fest last month and one of the guys in the other band had one of the modern Soldano 100s I'm gonna go with that haha
We talking modern high gain or rock tones?

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
We talking modern high gain or rock tones?
They were death metal. He was running the SLO and a Recto in stereo, but the Recto wasn't working that night

edit: man I'm trying to find live footage but they share a name with a very popular singer lol. Band is called Yatra

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
They were death metal. He was running the SLO and a Recto in stereo, but the Recto wasn't working that night

edit: man I'm trying to find live footage but they share a name with a very popular singer lol. Band is called Yatra
Whoa, Death Metal with an SLO? I feel like these new SLOs must have a bunch of updates to them because I had an early 2000s SLO with the Depth Mod and it was a very smooth amp - great for lead work but you'd have to be hitting it with a pretty aggressive boost to get modern metal tones out of it...

Friend of mine recently got the 30w head and loves it for metal. He said it's super aggressive. Weird! I traded a Framus Cobra half stack for the SLO and 2x12 cab and I definitely wasn't mad by that deal, but the Framus was WAY better for metal. Ended up trading the SLO for a Herbert, which was cool, but lacked a lot of mids.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whoa, Death Metal with an SLO? I feel like these new SLOs must have a bunch of updates to them because I had an early 2000s SLO with the Depth Mod and it was a very smooth amp - great for lead work but you'd have to be hitting it with a pretty aggressive boost to get modern metal tones out of it...

Friend of mine recently got the 30w head and loves it for metal. He said it's super aggressive. Weird! I traded a Framus Cobra half stack for the SLO and 2x12 cab and I definitely wasn't mad by that deal, but the Framus was WAY better for metal. Ended up trading the SLO for a Herbert, which was cool, but lacked a lot of mids.
The new SLO 30 watt tube amp that I played had tons of gain on tap and does metal easily especially with a boost in front. It’s my favorite new smaller amp.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I would get a Diezel over a Soldano SLO.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This small lunchbox Joyo Zombie II is really fun to play too!!! It's also lightweight & really cheap... Not comparable of course with the above mentioned tube amps... More for bedroom practice & portable rig maybe?

MattThePenguin

Reaction score

ohhhh yeah. It was brutal. The new SLOs are unreal.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right on well I am taking lessons again to build my chops and needed a portable combo amp as the one in the lesson room sucks balls and I wanted something for home office. SO, I pulled the trigger today on a brand new Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 amp! It should meet my needs and less expensive than a JP2C. I played the smaller Mesa Mark V 25 amp a few years back and was impressed with what it can do for a portable amp. So no need to spend almost 1k more for the JP2C and can get a VH4 pedal and maybe in year or so a new Diezel Herbert MK2 amp.

')