Favorite high gain amps

• Thread starter sacguy71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Those two things seem almost at odds with each other. One of the coolest things about stereo is stereo delay and, to a lesser extent, reverb. Just my opinion of course.
One of the coolest things about having a H9000 is that all other stereo effects are inferior.

The VHX effects are fine but not great. Maybe even below Strymon quality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
One of the coolest things about having a H9000 is that all other stereo effects are inferior.

The VHX effects are fine but not great. Maybe even below Strymon quality.
Gotcha. I have zero experience with the H9000 and probably never will. Awesome huh?

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well personally I really prefer stompboxes apart from the amp for effects as I like the flexibility.

Strobe

Reaction score
My tastes have changed over time, but my favorites are:

Mesa Boogie JP2C
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Marshall JVM
Bogner Uberschall

Honorable mentions are the Splawn Quick Rod and Badlander, which I have not owned, but have played in the local store (although never at gig volume) and really enjoyed. I will also note that while 5150 type tones are not my favorite type of tone, I acknowledge them to be a very good tone on a forgiving amp with a nice feel to it. No one has any right to do worse than a 5150 tone :).

What's changed for me is that the Mesa Mark series tone has taken the top spot for me. I really like the combination of a very tight amp with a fuller sounding pickup. It makes for about as close to a wall of sound that you can get without turning to mush in a mix. I will say, however, that I do enjoy a wide variety of amps. The last time I played guitars on an album it was an Ibanez with EMG's into a JVM410h. Nowadays I am more likely to go full Petrucci fan boy with a JP guitar into a JP2C (note - I only kind of like Dream Theater, but I absolutely love JP's tone).

Rayaus

Reaction score
To me, Fryette stuff (either Deliverance of Pitbull Ultra-Lead) is amazing to offer something different than my Uberschall. I don't have the Fryette amps themselves, but I'm running the Synergy preamps into an old VHT 2/90/2 and it sounds absolutely brutal, tight and clear. It's also amazing to run in stereo with the Uber!

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To me, Fryette stuff (either Deliverance of Pitbull Ultra-Lead) is amazing to offer something different than my Uberschall. I don't have the Fryette amps themselves, but I'm running the Synergy preamps into an old VHT 2/90/2 and it sounds absolutely brutal, tight and clear. It's also amazing to run in stereo with the Uber!

Fryette amps are cool and sound great. I tried an UL Pitbull and wish that at the time I could have bought it but was renting an apartment and would get evicted for a large tube amp. Anyways, think the route I am headed is a JP2C with Diezel VH4 pedal to have best bang for buck and get Mesa and Diezel tones. Later on would get a Herbert to complement my Uberschall.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
My favorite high-gain amp? Well, after a quarter century of playing, I can confidently say, this.

There's some black magic f***ery going on here. It's saturated, but I can hear every note in a chord. I play with a crunch setting, but the notes sustain for a good long while.

This is a keeper, that's for sure! Plus, there's how it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_055922.jpg
    IMG_20220625_055922.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 11

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My favorite high-gain amp? Well, after a quarter century of playing, I can confidently say, this.

There's some black magic f***ery going on here. It's saturated, but I can hear every note in a chord. I play with a crunch setting, but the notes sustain for a good long while.

This is a keeper, that's for sure! Plus, there's how it looks.

I love the Soldano amps! Even the 30 watt small Soldano SLO that I played was plenty loud enough for home purposes and great tones too. On wish list along with JP2C and Diezel. That trio would be rock and metal nirvana for me.

Reet

Reaction score
Are the Herberts really that good for modern tones? I've admittedly never played one but alot of the clips i've heard make it sound like it was made in the flub city factory plant. Super thick boi

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
After going through that journey I landed on the JVM410HJS with a Orange PPC412HP8. The amp covers so much ground and has a mid range that sits nicely in a band setting. It plays really nice on overdrive and clean channels with boost/overdrive pedals, and the loop is great. I’ve had this setup for the last 10 years and still love it.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will wait until next year and see if Mesa has JP2C amps for sale and available. Price is quite less for JP2C versus Diezel amps here in USA like $1500 less and can get VH4 pedal as recommended.

dspellman

Reaction score
I hate to crash a "tube amp drool" fest, but you may want to look at a modeler like the Helix. I'm using one with a 1500W power amp and a set of full range speaker cabinets that are based on an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF 15" subwoofer, a 5" Faital mids and a 1" tweeter. If you're running a 7-string, you'll find the increased clarity of the bottom end (due to the extra power available and the XMax of the 3015LF) a revelation. If you're enjoying the slight differences between your current tube amps (and your new SLO), you'll find the ability to really dial in an amp sound on the Helix a lot of fun.

I have 15 tube amps sitting around the den (ranging from 5W to 100W plus a pair of over-100W tube power amps) and honestly, the current rig puts them all on the trailer.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate to crash a "tube amp drool" fest, but you may want to look at a modeler like the Helix. I'm using one with a 1500W power amp and a set of full range speaker cabinets that are based on an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF 15" subwoofer, a 5" Faital mids and a 1" tweeter. If you're running a 7-string, you'll find the increased clarity of the bottom end (due to the extra power available and the XMax of the 3015LF) a revelation. If you're enjoying the slight differences between your current tube amps (and your new SLO), you'll find the ability to really dial in an amp sound on the Helix a lot of fun.

I have 15 tube amps sitting around the den (ranging from 5W to 100W plus a pair of over-100W tube power amps) and honestly, the current rig puts them all on the trailer.

I do have an HX Stomp modeler and use it for FX now and live works great as tube amps are heavy and not convenient when playing live. The HX Stomp amp models helped me figure out what kind of high gain amps I like. Ended up with the Uberschall since the model of the amp on the HX Stomp was great.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Have they improved the mids on the Herbert? I had the Mk I and it sounded HUGE, but totally understand why that thing is 180w, because it needed shear volume to cut in a band setting, as the mids were weak.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have they improved the mids on the Herbert? I had the Mk I and it sounded HUGE, but totally understand why that thing is 180w, because it needed shear volume to cut in a band setting, as the mids were weak.

Not sure never played a Herbert but may have done that with the midcut perhaps in v2? I love the mids on the Mezzabarba they are massive!

Latest posts

')