Favorite metalcore bands?

• Thread starter Dark Tranquillity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
Mine are

BTBAM
The Red Chord
Lamb of God (yes their popular, but I like them alot especially NAG album)
Shadows Fall (again very popular, I like their first 3 albums alot)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Between The Buried And Me
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Red Chord
Psyopus
Unearth
Ion Dissonance
Byzantine
Lamb of God
Behold...the Arctopus
From A Second Story Window
Paria
Despised Icon

...I'm sure there are others, but I'm too out of it to think of them right now.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Between the Buried and Me!!
lamb of god
dillinger escape plan
shadows fall
black dahlia murder
unearth

there are a few others, i just can't think of them

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Trivium
Shadows Fall
Killswitch Engage (Only a few of their songs)
Bleeding Through (One Song: On Wings of Lead)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my top 3, cause there's only 3 metalcore bands i like :D

Dillinger Escape Plan
Mastodon
Red Chord

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Lamb of God (My favorite easily.)

Unearth
The Haunted (I like these 2 bands about equally.)

Trivium
Shadows Fall
As I Lay Dying
BTBAM
Children of Bodom

I also like a few KsE songs, and a little of Avenged Sevenfold.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Children of Bodom is metalcore now.. Back in the day when they were awesome, they were like, melodic death metal...

Alexi changed his style of vocals and the songs are drastically different... listen to "Red Light in My Eyes Pt. 1" and compare that to "Punch Me, I Bleed".

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Unearth (easily my favorite)
As I Lay Dying (probably second favorite)
Killswitch Engage
The Haunted

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
When did the The Haunted count as metalcore? Unless rEVOLVEr is riddled with breakdowns I just don't see it.

I knew they'd fallen with the new one, but that far? :(

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Living Sacrifice
Soul Embraced
As I Lay Dying
Nodes of Ranvier
Demon Hunter
Haste the Day
Sinai Beach
Silent Civilian
Unearth
Trivium

I mainly listen to metalcore.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
When did the The Haunted count as metalcore? Unless rEVOLVEr is riddled with breakdowns I just don't see it.

I knew they'd fallen with the new one, but that far? :(
Well, you guys are the masters of metal genres, and the keepers are 'true metal' so let's say... New American Metal. Which is generally metalcore, but hey. The terms are flexible. Close enough for me, and I like the bands, so :fawk:

I'll go listen to Prince, now :lol:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Well, you guys are the masters of metal genres, and the keepers are 'true metal' so let's say... New American Metal. Which is generally metalcore, but hey. The terms are flexible. Close enough for me, and I like the bands, so :fawk:

I'll go listen to Prince, now :lol:

The Haunted was/is a modern Thrash band from Sweden, made up of some of the original members of At The Gates. Like I said, they'd have to fall a lot to be metal-core, they didn't have any of the cliche's last time I heard them.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
The Haunted was/is a modern Thrash band from Sweden, made up of some of the original members of At The Gates. Like I said, they'd have to fall a lot to be metal-core, they didn't have any of the cliche's last time I heard them.
Well, you learn something new everyday. Probably alot of the newer bands are getting lumped under the metalcore banner, but, maybe not justifiably so. There's some overlap, you have to admit. I've heard them called thrash, I've heard them called metalcore. I don't pay enough attention to the "distinctions" to care.

But for the record, an excerpt from an online review of rEVOLVEr...

The Haunted's fourth album, the goofily-titled rEVOLVEr, has original Haunted vocalist Peter Dolving returning for the first time since the first album, and while it's the usual, well-executed, blue-collar exercise in metalcore and thrash fans have come to expect from The Haunted, it's Dolving's dominating presence that leaves the most indelible impression. The album, co-produced by Patrik J. Sten and Frederik Nordstrom, has a terrific sound to it, a grating, no-frills feel that, while perhaps lacking a bit in the bass department, captures the band's intensity most efficiently.

Toshiro, you love to argue over metal genres, but I won't bite. :fawk: Thrash, metalcore, I like their music... 'nuff said.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Well there's a lot I disagree with that reviewer on, heh.

Fact is The Haunted is not new. New to some people, maybe, but a band that formed in 1996 is not new. IMO they sound like Slayer, and since they started out doing Slayer covers this is not very surprising. :p

It's just getting very annoying, to me at least, when people call metal-core bands thrash or death metal, then dump thrash bands into the metal-core area. There are differences fundamentally. :wallbash:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
You need to work for a metal magazine or website and review albums or something, dude. You have the ear and discrimination of a critic (that ain't a bad thing, BTW. Sometimes I enjoy critics appraisals of different works more than I enjoy the work :p )

Any rate, for convenience sake, The Haunted can go in my metalcore list, but am I technicially right? Probably not :p I can't keep track of all these distinctinions!

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Shadows Fall
Lamb Of God
Chimaira
Killswitch Engage (some songs)
Black Dahlia Murder
Hatesphere (more like modern thrash i guess)

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Toshiro said:
Well there's a lot I disagree with that reviewer on, heh.

Fact is The Haunted is not new. New to some people, maybe, but a band that formed in 1996 is not new. IMO they sound like Slayer, and since they started out doing Slayer covers this is not very surprising. :p

It's just getting very annoying, to me at least, when people call metal-core bands thrash or death metal, then dump thrash bands into the metal-core area. There are differences fundamentally. :wallbash:

Well, lets put it this way, "The Haunted" is formed of the people that wrote all the "At the Gates" (The twins and Adrian (first album)) stuff, and it's not really any secret that most metalcore bands have been ripping off slaughter of the soul for years now... And yeah, they aren't new in any way at really are they!

As for stating that they started out playing Slayer covers, well, that is a bit misleading really isn't it as they were never a cover band...

Any case I thought rREVOLVEr was a return to form for them (they finally got rid of the annoying vocalist).

Metalcore wise, meh, I don't even know what bands are supposed to fit in that genre but going from some of the names I'd say Lamb of God, oh, and if they are still around I really used to like Merauder if they count...I'm getting old...

')