Favorite metalcore bands?

• Thread starter Dark Tranquillity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's a lot of bands mentioned on this post that I wouldn't class as metalcore, but I'm not a genre obsessive so I might not have a 100% accurate definition of metalcore.

I'm gonna go with KSE and Unearth as definite metalcore bands, and Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, God Forbid and Lamb of God as "dubiously metalcore". I'm also gonna stick in a vote for Shadows Fall, The Haunted and Soilwork as just being kick ass bands.

At the end of the day, does genre REALLY matter as long as you like the music?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LoG
DEP (If they count. I don't know WHAT they are.)
Shadows Fall
Ion Dissonance
Killswitch in small doses

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not even entitrely sure what metalcore IS, lol.

I've basically given up on the metal genre thing. If it's heavy and I like it, it's good metal. If not, then I don't particularly care what the classification is.

Then again, I have a feeling I'm the least metal guy on the board, lol, so whatver.

-D

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
There's a lot of bands mentioned on this post that I wouldn't class as metalcore, but I'm not a genre obsessive so I might not have a 100% accurate definition of metalcore.

I'm gonna go with KSE and Unearth as definite metalcore bands, and Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, God Forbid and Lamb of God as "dubiously metalcore". I'm also gonna stick in a vote for Shadows Fall, The Haunted and Soilwork as just being kick ass bands.

At the end of the day, does genre REALLY matter as long as you like the music?

I don't think a it matters at all really, but that's what those bands commonly come under. Like some one else said on here, there should be two genres, good or bad

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Drew said:
I'm not even entitrely sure what metalcore IS, lol.

Hell, neither am I. All I know is that I tend to like all the bands that are classified as metalcore.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
Well there's a lot I disagree with that reviewer on, heh.

Fact is The Haunted is not new. New to some people, maybe, but a band that formed in 1996 is not new. IMO they sound like Slayer, and since they started out doing Slayer covers this is not very surprising. :p

It's just getting very annoying, to me at least, when people call metal-core bands thrash or death metal, then dump thrash bands into the metal-core area. There are differences fundamentally. :wallbash:
The only time i liked the haunted was the Caught on Tape DVD where they had the second vocalist. That guy was cool. This Peter Dolving chap makes them sound pretty metalcore.

Naren -- Its like Hardcore with heavy metal influences. (IE, Iron Maiden wannabe harmonies And whatnot)

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Naren -- Its like Hardcore with heavy metal influences. (IE, Iron Maiden wannabe harmonies And whatnot)

Dude, that's probably why I like metalcore so much. Because I love hardcore and I love heavy metal. So it's a combination of two things I think rock. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being influenced heavily by Iron Maiden. (I can tell you don't like much metalcore, which is unfortunate since Unearth is one of my top 5 favorite bands).

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Lamb of God
Shadow's Fall
Trivium

Still not sure what is making some of these bands metalcore. I thought long, technical solos instead of breakdowns put something in the metal catagory, but now I'm observing that the requirement is "guy out front who screams".

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Dude, that's probably why I like metalcore so much. Because I love hardcore and I love heavy metal. So it's a combination of two things I think rock. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being influenced heavily by Iron Maiden. (I can tell you don't like much metalcore, which is unfortunate since Unearth is one of my top 5 favorite bands).

I love maiden, but thats not the point. The thing that bothers me the most about it is, it sounds sooooo much like Swedish melodic death metal.. Like Toshiro said, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul. Also, if you listen to in flames old stuff and compare it to metal core... Thats why i like the older in flames/at the gates type stuff more. Same style, but with way better vocals and less modern 'emo/hardcore' image stuff going on.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
The only time i liked the haunted was the Caught on Tape DVD where they had the second vocalist. That guy was cool. This Peter Dolving chap makes them sound pretty metalcore.

I agree with you, though I didn't listen to rEVOLVEr enough to say whether or not it was -coreish. Made Me Do It and One Kill Wonder are both pretty straight up thrash, though, IMO. I have all their records except the new one. heh :p

7 Dying Trees: That's just what I'd heard, that after Tom left and ATG split, the 4 of them got together doing Slayer covers for fun, and The Haunted was born out of that. Course, gotta question 90% of what you hear on the net, so it could be BS. lol

I guess you could say I like Shadow's Fall, but that last album isn't high on my list, if they stay on that road I'll be dropping them. The rest of the metal-core scene is not my bag, probably because most "Hardcore Punk" was not my thing.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
The rest of the metal-core scene is not my bag, probably because most "Hardcore Punk" was not my thing.

Well, of course, hardcore punk used to be my favorite genre for a long time and it still is one of my favorite genres. Many of my favorite bands are hardcore punk or "post-hardcore punk" (the term doesn't make much sense to me since hardcore punk is still around, but I wouldn't term it just "hardcore punk" since post-hardcore punk is distinctly different from hardcore punk).

But, exactly that, any arguement over anything here is just taste...

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
I guess you could say I like Shadow's Fall, but that last album isn't high on my list, if they stay on that road I'll be dropping them.

Wow, I'm surprised at that comment. I thought The War Within was their best album yet. I sure hope they stay on that road. :fawk:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Well, of course, hardcore punk used to be my favorite genre for a long time and it still is one of my favorite genres. Many of my favorite bands are hardcore punk or "post-hardcore punk" (the term doesn't make much sense to me since hardcore punk is still around, but I wouldn't term it just "hardcore punk" since post-hardcore punk is distinctly different from hardcore punk).

But, exactly that, any arguement over anything here is just taste...

You're right. That term doesnt make any sense. I've always hated the 'post' term. I've already seen "Post Emo" And "Post Numetal"
WTF Does that even mean? How can you define something simply by saying it comes after something? Everything from Vital Remains & Deicide to Elton John & Shakira is "Post Baroque" if you wanna break down like that.. lol.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
You're right. That term doesnt make any sense. I've always hated the 'post' term. I've already seen "Post Emo" And "Post Numetal"
WTF Does that even mean? How can you define something simply by saying it comes after something? Everything from Vital Remains & Deicide to Elton John & Shakira is "Post Baroque" if you wanna break down like that.. lol.
Elton John and Shakira... now THAT'S metal! :hbang:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm pretty lost on genre's too. i only recognize two these days... "good" and "bad" :)

so then, what defines metalcore?

Bastard Toadflax

Change is on the way...
Reaction score
Black Dahlia Murder
Lamb of God
God Forbid
Unearth
Between the Buried and Me
Garth Brooks

I really don't care what the sub-genre of metal any given band is, I've heard technical speed metal bands drop out and administer a bad ass breakdown that makes you want to pop someone's head off, and I've heard thrash metal bands throw in some clean jazzy sounding sections just for good measure (dillinger's escape plan, even though i dont really care for them, saw them live with DT). It just doesn't matter to me really, I let my ears and the nodding (or lack thereof) of my head decide if its good metal, which is what it all comes down to...Metal.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:

Yes. And not only is there "post-hardcore punk", but there was "post-punk" in the early 80's with bands like The Clash. Of course, some idiots back then were saying "punk is dead" just like there are some idiots saying now that "metal died with the 80's." Well, the ridiculous poofy hair of the 80's died. But the music still lives... STRONG.

I'm gonna make a genre called "post-music." See how that turns out.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
Yes. And not only is there "post-hardcore punk", but there was "post-punk" in the early 80's with bands like The Clash. Of course, some idiots back then were saying "punk is dead" just like there are some idiots saying now that "metal died with the 80's." Well, the ridiculous poofy hair of the 80's died. But the music still lives... STRONG.

I'm gonna make a genre called "post-music." See how that turns out.
Shit, dude. I'm already a hit in the underground post-post-music movement!

')