Favorite Opeth Album?

• Thread starter ridner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which Opeth Album Is Your Favorite?

• Orchid

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Morningrise

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My Arms Your Hearse

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Still Life

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Deliverance

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Damnation

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • Watershed

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Heritage

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Sikthness

Reaction score
Voted for Damnation. I know its prob not a popular choice, but its a damn masterpiece. So much emotion. Ill admit a big part of that is sentimental value. Blackwater Park is #2 very close behind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with Still Life. There's just an indescribable something that pushes SL over the top. It was also my first Opeth / death metal album, so that might have something to do with it. I actually hated it the first 10 or so listens, but for some reason I kept trying to get into it.

Paid off.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
Still Life, with Blackwater Park a very close second.

SL was also my first Opeth album, and my first death metal album, but I still think it's just the incredible dynamics in that album that push it above the rest for me. Benighted is probably my favourite track.

TheSilentWater

is a nerd.
Reaction score
Dammit, I clicked Ghost Reveries, scrolled down, came back up and clicked vote and it came out with MAYH!
Ghost Reveries is so gloomy. And the mix is so squishy and organic, not to mention the (un)godly songwriting.

Kalan

Reaction score
Personally nothing will ever come close to Still life! Cant wait to hear Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt's collaboration

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Ooh... that's a tough one. BWP popped my Opeth cherry, as I'm sure it did for many others. However, compared to some of their previous albums, it's far from the best. The latter half of the album drags on for far too long (I'm looking at you, second half of Dirge for November and title track), and honestly a lot of parts feel like Mike went "shit, the song's not long enough... better repeat that part again." MAYH and SL are both fucking impeccable, and pretty much every second of those two albums is jizz-worthy. Choosing between the two is fucking impossible... so I went with Orchid. Orchid is probably the most underrated album from any band of Opeth's caliber. Songs like Under the Weeping Moon and Forest of October easily earn a spot in my (hypothetical) top 5 Opeth songs list. (Actually writing such a list would be an exercise in futility.) I love the raw, yet sophisticated production of the album, and DAT CHORUSED ACOUSTIC is pretty much the dankest thing ever. Keep in mind that when this was being recorded in 1994, nothing even remotely similar to what they were doing was going on. This album blew everyone's fucking mind when it came out, as it blew my mind when I first heard it.

Oh, and I hadn't heard about the Akerfeldt/Wilson collab till now, that'd be beyond amazing!

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
The title track is what makes blackwater park one of their best moments in their entire discography if you ask me.

That said, I voted Still Life.

beneharris

Reaction score
i'm one of two votes for orchid :lol:

watershed is one of my favorites by them, but that doesn't seem to be very high up on anybodies list.

trianglebutt

trianglebutt
Reaction score
Funnily enough, the title track on BWP is my least favorite track on the album. I find it boring compared to The Leper Affinity, Bleak, The Funeral Portrait and The Drapery Falls.

Also I don't get the hate for Watershed, I thought it had some great songs. The Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent are awesome Opeth tracks...

Cnev

Reaction score
Funnily enough, the title track on BWP is my least favorite track on the album. I find it boring compared to The Leper Affinity, Bleak, The Funeral Portrait and The Drapery Falls.

Also I don't get the hate for Watershed, I thought it had some great songs. The Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent are awesome Opeth tracks...

Watershed had some great moments, but it was honestly the first time I found myself fast-forwarwarding through an Opeth album to get to them.

Latest posts

')