Favorite out of the box and ready to rock amps?

sefloval

Reaction score
Just curious what amps you've owned that sounded great right out of the box. No tube changes, biasing, mods etc.

It seems when I look at an amp and start reading forums about said amp, I start thinking to myself "If I get this amp, I've got to immediately change the tubes, bias and maybe do just one quick mod to make it sound better".

After going through that with a few amps now, I want to find a head that is good to go out the box and don't even want to think about tubes/mods. At least for a while.

Anyone have any amps that they liked stock straight out of the box??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Marshall JVMs. Super easy to get a tone I like out of it, but it's also incredibly tweakable.

DavePiatek

Reaction score
5150 / 6505 / 5150II / 6505+

Put all the pots at 12 o'clock and it sounds like a record (usually).

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Dual Rectifier for me.

I just find the Recto sound so satisfying.

Axewield31

Reaction score
All amps will sound better with a tube swap. That's just the way it is really. Manufacturers use cheap tubes because they work and it's a cost they can easily cut on.
There are however a few amps that cheap tubes have less impact than others. As stated above, Marshall JVMs and Rectos sound pretty good out of the box. I find most Peavey amps pretty touchy in that regard, the Ultra/XXX/JSX/3120 especially. Haven't had much experience with 5150s/6505s though.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Diezel VH4 and Herbert sound exactly how I want amps to sound, and they don't need any work.

vick1000

Reaction score
Vypyr 120 Tube Head.

But it has stomp boxes/noise gate and FX built in.

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
I loved the splawn pro mod that i tried the other day. If i ever come across another one and have the money for it, i will definitely buy it. It just had this amazing 3d quality to it that the dual rectifier sitting next to it did not.

schecter_c7

Reaction score
Mesa Roadster, everything about was perfect. Still can't get over how great it sounds. Just had to plug everything in and I was immediately blown away.

protest

Reaction score
I like Mesa Marks because their's no OD pedal required really, whereas the Roadster I can't really play at all without a boost or EQ (cleans aside). Though I honestly think I may need to take mine to a tech because it doesn't jive with most of the things I've seen written about it online.

')