Favorite power metal guitarist?

• Thread starter awesomeaustin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I cant believe no has said Michael Romeo form Symphony X!

He didn't come to mind at all.
When I hear "Power Metal' I don't associate Symphony X with it at all...it's a progressive metal band to me:shrug:

But hell, if he is considered a Power Metal guitarist, he would easily be at the top of my list.
Everything about his playing is pure godly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Somehow I forgot Jon Schaffer in this, his right hand is what my right hand was mimic'd on for a few years....

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
KaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

:)

Also, Schaff for rhythm and songwriting, Gus for leads

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice to see all the Nils Norberg love in this thread. :wub:

Kiko, is, of course, awesome. I'm a big fan of Thom Youngblood from Kamelot, too - not the shreddingist guy out there, but a really nice sense of melody.

Victor Smolski is, of course, completely sick, too.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no power metal fan and this is hardly even a power metal release, but whoever plays on Helloween's Walls Of Jericho gets my vote:kd: Nils Norberg is pretty cool too, but the aspects of his playing that I enjoy are all decidedly un-power metal, heh.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess there was a time back in the day when Alexi Laiho's playing could be somewhat equated with power metal. And let's face it, some of the solos from Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper absolutely melt faces (Kissing the Shadows anyone?) in the typical fashion of power metal.

Also, Jorn Lofstad and (formerly) Thorstein Aaby from Pagan's Mind (prog-power, true, but with a healthy dose of power) are known to unleash the fury as well.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Jon Schaffer for that Popeye right arm.
Jari Maenpaa for kicking overall ass. Sure, his writing in Wintersun has moved towards melodic/prog/death(???), but in their day, Ensiferum were pure Finnish powermetal:hungus:

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Tony Iommi. Black Sabbath counts as power metal to me.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
DDDorian was onto something. this thread can not go on without a Michael Weikath/Kai Hansen contribution!

for me, the KOTSK albums are the pioneer albums and the best in their genre :yesway:

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
Jon Schaffer for that Popeye right arm.
Jari Maenpaa for kicking overall ass. Sure, his writing in Wintersun has moved towards melodic/prog/death(???), but in their day, Ensiferum were pure Finnish powermetal:hungus:

Maenpaa!

snowblind56

Reaction score
David Shankle - DSG/Ex-Manowar- His over the top(of the fretboard)shredding is jaw dropping. Blows away Michael Angelo Batio.

Kai Hansen - Gamma Ray/Ex-Helloween- In my opinion the God Father of Power Metal

Anthony McGinnis & Dave Garcia - Cage - Not a well know band, but quite impressive anyways

Stefan Leibing - Ex-Primal Fear -

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Yeah, right now my vote goes for Kiko Loureiro from Angra. But if you included Symphony X in power metal, then it will definitely go to Romeo!

')