Favorite Solos from your childhood?

hutchman

El' Lamo
Reaction score
All along the Watch Tower - Jimi Hendrix
Doobie Wah - Peter Framton. (Talk Box city:lol:)
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep.

Oh those were the days.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ckackley

Reaction score
Not so much my childhood, nut when I was first starting to play guitar and heard Living Color's "Cult of Personality" the solo really blew me away. Not even because it's that good but it was really different.
One actually from my childhood- Queens "We will Rock You"

abyss258

Reaction score
For me it's definitely gotta be Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult. I wasn't really into music at all as a kid, but I was always floored by that song.

Reaction score
Machinegun, Jimi Hendrix

awesomeness starts around 4:16

Love rears it's ugly head, Living Colour (first guitar solo ever that I learned to play, in 1991 :O) )

Ans as a bonus the song that got me started in this guitar madness (was playing classical until this made me switch to electrical)

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Being 17, I'm still in my childhood, so Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between The Buried And Me :metal:

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The solo that introduced me to the concept of the lead guitar was the main solo for Metallica's "One."

The solo that first introduced me to doing it tastefully was "Goodbye to Romance," by Randy Rhoads.

The solo that first melted my face off was... well, the entire song "Black Star," by YJM.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Tricky, I don't know if my memory is that good if I'm trying to keep it before the mid 80's or so :)

Michael Schenker - Into the Arena
Randy Rhoads - Mr Crowley
Paul Quinn (Saxon) - anything from the Crusader era
Hendrix et all
Uli Jon Roth - Catch a Train
Brian May - Bo Rap
Jimmie Page - Communication Breakdown
Clapton/Cream - Sunshine of your Love
Steve "Lips" Kudrow - Shadow Zone
Richie Blackmore - Difficult to Cure
Dave Murray - The Number of the Beast
EVH - Eruption

I didn't really get into the other guitarists from that era until I was past my childhood, but all of the above were regular visitors to my over-loud Hi Fi and massive tape collection ^^

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my dad played B3 in a brass focused band when I was child, the guitar solo that always stood out to me when I was a child was the solo from "25 or 6 to 4". Song was huge with the brass and a shred solo for the time.

Derek

+Rep for just mentioning that awsome song :)

I was pretty floored by the solo from Fear of the Dark, as well as the acoustic solo in Forever by KISS.

dudeskin

Reaction score
too many to list,
but pantera dommination has always been one i aspire to.
along with lots of dream theater stuff.

too many to think of at the mo, having fun listening through everyone elses.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as

My 1st exposure to rock guitar and I still love it to this day and I think it's a great shame that the only other players who talk about Brian May are Tony Iommi and Billy Corgan (who seems to have taken a lot from May's soloing style and tone)

It's not a typical solo but I dug the sound of it as a kid and the song means a lot to me on a personal level also now I'm an adult I realise how underated John Lydon is as he assembled some incredible musicians such as Bill Laswell, Steve Vai, Ginger Baker and Ryuichi Sakamoto to play on all the PIL albums.

When I was 6 years old this was pretty much my theme tune to start jumping about like a spazz trying to do roundhouse kicks and stuff.

People write off Duran Duran as a synth band but there are some great guitar parts on their albums from Warren Cuccurulo/Andy Taylor plus the combination of pop song = big guitar solo is a lost art these days.

')