Favorite Trem Config?

• Thread starter giannifive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite trem config, and why?

• Total voters

Sleeper

Reaction score
Interesting. What about the spring claw? The Tremsetter requires it to be replaced by two seperate smaller claws. I'm just guessing from the pics I've seen of the Tremol-No, but it looks like its claw is a hefty chunk o' metal that's somewhat thicker than a standard claw. Wouldn't that be in the way of the Tremsetter? Just askin', y'know!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Really? I wasn't aware of this. I may need to get one.
Yeah, the Tremsetter is pretty sweet! I've got it tweaked just right now. It's providing just enough counter-pressure to keep whole-step compound bends in tune on the G and b strings. And it still feels relatively smooth for scoops and vibrato. A little clunkier for vibrato, I guess, but the vibrato still sounds natural.

The main thing is that the bridge is really stable now. When I fine tune one string, the rest don't go out of tune. :hbang:

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Awakened Sleeper said:
Interesting. What about the spring claw? The Tremsetter requires it to be replaced by two seperate smaller claws. I'm just guessing from the pics I've seen of the Tremol-No, but it looks like its claw is a hefty chunk o' metal that's somewhat thicker than a standard claw. Wouldn't that be in the way of the Tremsetter? Just askin', y'know!
Yeah, I think you're right. The Hipshot Tremsetter doesn't seem to be compatible with the T-No for this reason. But the ESP Arming Adjuster and Ibanez Backstop should be, as they don't require changing the spring claw.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Music Man JP dudes: What's the construction of the JP tremolo? I know it's a two-piont trem with a non-locking nut. It sounds like you can do compound bends in tune, but someone on here told me you can also do pull-ups? So it's some kind of stabilized floater?

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
No, it's just a straight floater. It works like a Wilkenson where there is a two point pivot. You can't do compound bends without it going out. It's just a non locking floater that uses locks heads to stay in tune (which it does very well).

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Christopher said:
No, it's just a straight floater. It works like a Wilkenson where there is a two point pivot. You can't do compound bends without it going out. It's just a non locking floater that uses locks heads to stay in tune (which it does very well).
Hmm, okay. I thought I heard Petrucci playing some compound bends on his JPM. I may have been mistaken.

Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
Maybe he blocked the bridge on one.

What I do with my (floating trem) is bend the other string just that bit more to keep it in tune.Ya get used to it after a while, Must admit when I play my Aria its is heaven cos it's a fixed bridge tho.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
bobthemerciful said:
What I do with my (floating trem) is bend the other string just that bit more to keep it in tune.Ya get used to it after a while, Must admit when I play my Aria its is heaven cos it's a fixed bridge tho.
I've heard of Satch doing this as well. I've tried it myself but can't, for the life of me, get used to it. I guess I just can't "hear" two notes at the same time well enough to make sure they're both in tune.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, after just 6 weeks with the Tremsetter I'm sick of it. At first I loved being able to compound bend in tune, but after a while I grew tired of the catch at the zero point preventing me from doing smooth vibrato. And of course I was missing my flutter! So I just switched it back to fully floating today. The winter weather probably means I'll have to retune it everyday but I don't care :)

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's funny, I put "fully floating" ... it says "all flutters" and I don't even have the bar for it...

Reaction score
I don't use trems, I made a block for one I used to have in an RG1527. I've since switched to hardtails, I got tired of the labor intensive string changes and setting of intonation. Fixed bridges unforntunately don't look as cool, yet. What's a tremel-no?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
teelguitars said:
I got tired of the labor intensive string changes and setting of intonation.
I can actually do better with intonation on a floating bridge guitar than i can on a fixed bridge.. its just..easier.. for me lol

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Never really used a trem all that much...besides, it's a lot less of a hassel when you break a string or restring your ax:agreed:

')