Favorite Trem Config?

• Thread starter giannifive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite trem config, and why?

• Total voters

Gouzou

Gouzou
Reaction score
well I think I have been some kind of "sleeping beaty" around here ...

I'm not familiar with any of the devices described here, and my 7620 trem used to go out of tune even with lightest rythm work ... now I use 2 handcrafted woodblocks to have it fully blocked

My questions are :
- what the main difference between temol-no and my wood blocks - isn't the trem blocked anyway ?? ( I'm not considering blocks while playing or between songs ... )
- I'd like to unblock my lo-pro trem - would the tremsetter help in keeping in in tune ? I mean : considering I'll have to file the saddles anyway, would the tremsetter help with old and worn tremblock knifes ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Gouzou said:
My questions are :
- what the main difference between temol-no and my wood blocks - isn't the trem blocked anyway ?? ( I'm not considering blocks while playing or between songs ... )
Wood blocks work fine. They have for years.
What the Tremol-No offers you is a direct connection between the trem and the body wood. This increases sustain and helps your pickups work better. A simple wood block can't offer that.

Gouzou said:
- I'd like to unblock my lo-pro trem - would the tremsetter help in keeping in in tune ? I mean : considering I'll have to file the saddles anyway, would the tremsetter help with old and worn tremblock knifes ?
If your knife edges are worn or damaged, not even Britney's panties will save your trem. They need to be replaced ASAP.
If you can't replace the edges themselves, then it's time for a new trem plate.

skattabrain

slow and low
Reaction score
Kevan said:
Wood blocks work fine. They have for years.
What the Tremol-No offers you is a direct connection between the trem and the body wood. This increases sustain and helps your pickups work better. A simple wood block can't offer that.

please explain the difference between a block of wood holding your trem back or a piece of steel with much less mass.

fyi - i'm getting a tremol-no ... but this comment sounds like misinformation.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
skattabrain said:
please explain the difference between a block of wood holding your trem back or a piece of steel with much less mass.

fyi - i'm getting a tremol-no ... but this comment sounds like misinformation.
The Tremol-No (when locked) provides a DIRECT connection from the trem block to the body wood.
Wood blocks do not. The trem block will just rest against the wood block. Wood blocks don't offer a solid connection. Any tonal or vibration transfer will be minimal at best.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
Now my fave is a fixed bridge. I've gone from fully-floating Floyd, to Floyd + Tremsetter, back to fully-floating, and now to fixed bridge. The conclusion: I just have to have one of each guitar :metal:

Sometimes7

Reaction score
Kevan said:
If you're moving the claw along the claw screws, and your screws are fully-threaded, you're in for an interesting effect using the TremStabilizer. LOL
I have the normal type of claw screws that have no threads under the head. Also, it's only one side of the claw that moves to give way for pull-ups. They include a screw for that so if you do have fully threaded screws, you get a replacement that works with the system.

Kevan said:
The Schaller TremStop, in my testing, gave up almost a half a step when doing double-stops and two-or-more string bends. Double-stick foam tape isn't the most secure of mounting methods. It becomes even more fun if you have any kind of carved top.

Glad to hear they're workin' for ya though.
½ step? Not in my experience at all that much. It gives a little but not enough to hear when you are in a band. If I'm by myself testing it and listening for it I can hear it. But not a ½ step. No way. Yeah, a carved top would be a tough one with a Trem-Stop. I would say most trem equipped guitars are flat tops anyway though.

The double stick tape they supply is quite good but you also have the option of screwing the baseplate to your guitar. I realize this is not for everyone. I have screwed them to two of my guitars. One has an OFR, and I have found that is the most stabile configuration. Screwed in baseplate, OFR with wrench-tightened collar (these can get very tight, which I like).

As to availablity, I special ordered mine from Guitar Center. Was really no problem at all.

Last edited:
')