Favorite Trem Config?

• Thread starter giannifive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite trem config, and why?

• Total voters

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kevan said:
no one is dying harder for the Tremol-No than I am.

I assume that's a typo, but it's only a slight exaggeration if any - Kevan's working his ass off on this. I know because he won't shut up about it. :lol:

Myself, if I was just to have one seven string, it'd have to have SOME kind of a trem on it, either a good two-point vintage style set for dive only, or a full floater with a Tremol-no so I have the option to disable it or set it for dive only. Hell, I guess a vintage style with a Tremol-no set for an optional step or so of pullback would be pretty cool, too. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
The Trans-Trem is by far my favorite trem system. It's fully floating yet automatically locks like a fixed-bridge when you let go of the bar. It also bends chords in tune and can be used to instantly retune all six strings to several higher or lower tunings. Tragically it is not available in a 7-string version. :wallbash:

I'm going to try modifying one into a 7 and, failing that, just install the 6-string version for the 6 top strings on my experimental 7string.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Heard that the patent for the tran-trem has expired - sure would be nice if someone would start manufacturing a 7-string version!

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Naren said:
I prefer a fixed bridge. Why? Mainly because using the trem will slowly but surely put my guitar our of tune. Also, because if I break a string on a trem-equipped guitar during a show, all the strings go out of tune and I can't continue playing. With a fixed bridge, I simply lose one string, but can continue playing the rest of the song with that string missing, still in tune. And also, bending, vibrato, and other such techniques sound more solid on a fixed-bridge.

If I had a floating-trem that never went out of tune (or went out of tune just as much as a fixed bridge), I'd love it and use it every day like a madman.

Some may say Tremol-no will fix all those problems. But it's not available yet, so I can't say anything about it. That's why I picked "no trem - fixed bridge"
ever tried an Ibanez ZR?

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Definetly a blocked trem. With the nut locked. It stays in tune forever. I would love a 7 string FX bridge for my Interceptor.

widdly

Reaction score
It seems every one here (and jemsite) is crazy for the Tremol-no. I don't like the way you have pull the plate of the back of the guitar to switch it one or off. I was looking at another altenative that screws into the front of the guitar and the trem arm clips into it to stop the trem moving. Anyone using one of these?

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
widdly said:
[regarding the Tremol-No] I don't like the way you have pull the plate of the back of the guitar to switch it on or off.
Not true.

Check out the Support section of the website:
http://www.tremol-no.com/support.asp

There you will find backplate templates to several popular models, with more being added all the time. Backplates are easy to trim, extras are readily available from most manufacturers or aftermarket stores/site, and they're uber-cheap.

The device you're asking about at the end of your post is called the Schaller Trem-Stop.
1. Getting parts from Schaller is like getting pics from Drew. Good f-ing luck. You might get lucky and find a store that has one laying around.
2. It attaches to the face of your guitar via double-stick foam tape. Not exactly the most secure method of mounting anything in my book.
3. Depending on your controls and how you play, it will most likey hinder (interfere) with your playing. Some guys work around it; and some eventually 'strum it off' in the middle of a gig.

widdly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Kevan. After the fun I've had with double sided tape and roland hexaphonic pickups I think I'll steer clear of the trem-stop.

I had the impression that much more room would be needed to get at the the thumb screws but those templates make it look quite neat. Now I see that the whole thing is fat and sugar free it should be no trouble convincing the wife I need one.

Something else that might be cool would be some kind of attachment for the tremol-no to dampen the spring vibrations....mabye an idea for tremol-no II.

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
Full floating here. No bar installed though.

It is POSSIBLE to do compound bends BTW. You just have to know how much to compensate :cool:

Sometimes7

Reaction score
I used to have my old UV777GR Universe full-floating but at one point I just couldn't handle tuning for a 1/2 hour. It got ridiculous, partly because I purchased a Peterson strobe tuner and was trying to get it PERFECT. So now I have my UV777BK blocked for dive-only.

widdly said:
I was looking at another altenative that screws into the front of the guitar and the trem arm clips into it to stop the trem moving. Anyone using one of these?
You mean the Schaller "Trem-Stop". I use it on a few on my guitars. That's why I wouldn't ever go for a Tremel-No. The Trem-Stop does make it solid enough to stop out of tune double-stop bends and speed up tuning.

Another great device is the WD Music "Trem Stabiliser" TS1. It's about the same price as the Trem-Stop. It installs inside one trem spring. It's an adjustable rod. One end butts against the spring claw. The other against the trem block. They also include a replacement claw screw which allows the claw on the side the TS1 is installed on to give way. This allows pull-ups on the trem. So what you have is a zero point when the trem is at rest or after a dive. Then if you want to pull up, you can and the TS1 will push the claw backwards. Pull-ups are stiffer than full floating however. Dives are unaffected. Perfect pitch return both ways. It's a really great device.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you're moving the claw along the claw screws, and your screws are fully-threaded, you're in for an interesting effect using the TremStabilizer. LOL

The Schaller TremStop, in my testing, gave up almost a half a step when doing double-stops and two-or-more string bends. Double-stick foam tape isn't the most secure of mounting methods. It becomes even more fun if you have any kind of carved top.

Glad to hear they're workin' for ya though.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I havn't had a whole lot of experience with stabilizers, just trems and TOM bridges. I prefer a trem just for the option, and would rather have a stabilizer. Ideally, it would be cool to have a tremol-no AND a stabilizer (ESP arming adjuster, etc) in case you break a string on stage. I don't spose the tremol-no fits with an arming adjuster or similar stabilizer?

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
JJ Rodriguez said:
Ideally, it would be cool to have a tremol-no AND a stabilizer (ESP arming adjuster, etc) in case you break a string on stage. I don't spose the tremol-no fits with an arming adjuster or similar stabilizer?
I haven't tried a Tremol-No + Arming Adjuster setup yet, but I don't see any reason why they can't live happily inside your trem cavity.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I like a trem, but I haven't played a 7 w/trem that had a decent tone (at least one that I could work with). Trem is luxury. If I don't have a solid tone, forget it.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7 Dying Trees said:
fullly floating, and the compound bending thing you get past by bending the other string a little bit as well!
Heh heh...from a guy with a couple of pre-production Tremol-No units.
:D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kevan said:
1. Getting parts from Schaller is like getting pics from Drew. Good f-ing luck. You might get lucky and find a store that has one laying around.

Hey, all I'm saying, is would YOU trust Kevan with pictures of yourself in your favorite assless chaps? :fawk:

...um, nothing to see here, folks... Keep moving... Move right along... :ugh:

Latest posts

')