Favorite underappreciated/obscure games thread

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I was just going back on my old Super Play magazines, and I just realised that my taste in games have always been very different to most of my peers and opted for the more obscure bizzare type games. I'm sure there's plenty here that are into these weird gems too...

I'll start with mine:

Kikikaikai/Pocky and Rocky series (SNES)

You're a priestess with a giant racoon for a companion and you kill a bunch of demons from Japanese folklore. At the time I was a kid, this made no damn sense, but it played beautifully. First game is one of the hardest games ever made too.

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie (SNES) / Macross Plus (Arcade)

R Type/Gradius/Raiden type game but with transforming units from the Macross universe. Surprisingly good compared to most daft anime based games of the 90s.

Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon series (SNES/N64)

Chock full of Japanese references that made no sense pre-Google, and damn what fun games those were.

Final Fantasy V

The least talked about FF game around, and IMO criminally underrated, so I'm adding it here. The beginning starts of simple enough, but it expands into a massive game with so much to do.

I can do this forever :lol:, but let's see other's favorites...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Afro Samurai, it was like playing through a Quentin Tarantino cartoon with awesome combos, music and locations.

BlackWinds10

Kick em in the nuts!
Reaction score
I thought socom confrontation was underrated. Because all the little kids who wanted to play games like COD got on there, played like they were on COD, and were just annhilated. Some of you may disagree but IMO its pretty underrated. and anothe underrated game that is a PSN game is Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists Of Plastic, really fun with friends I never cease to laugh when im playing it when buddies come over. And not really underrated as a whole but compared to COD, I think the whole Killzone series is underrated. And is INSANELY amazing. And also thumbs up for afro samurai.

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Jaws for the old xbox. You swim around, eat people, and blow shit up.

Damn, I miss that game.

Mexi

Reaction score
KKND (krush, kill 'n destroy) an RTS developed by Beam software back in 1997. this is one of the better command and conquer clones that came out after the massive success of Red Alert. sorta cheesy in its writing and unit design, but by not taking itself too seriously, you can still have a really good time. The graphics were very well done for its time and is still one of my favorite RTS' to date.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
KKND (krush, kill 'n destroy) an RTS developed by Beam software back in 1997. this is one of the better command and conquer clones that came out after the massive success of Red Alert. sorta cheesy in its writing and unit design, but by not taking itself too seriously, you can still have a really good time. The graphics were very well done for its time and is still one of my favorite RTS' to date.

I remember that game, definitely among the fun war strategy games of it's time along with Total Annihalation.

Some others from me:

Rudora No Hihou/Treasure of Rudora (SNES)

One of the last and most obscure Square RPGs for the SNES and it was damn taxing.

Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator (SNES/PS2)

Classic mecha game right here. Shame the PS2 remake was nothing more than a shoddy SNES conversion with no new features.

Astyanax (NES)

The game itself was pretty average, but there's something about it that was incredibly charming.

Journey to Sillius (NES)

Extremely underrated platform/shooter with some of the best music for it's time.

Ranma 1/2 fighting game series (SNES)

At the time this was rather obscure, and one of them was even translated with new characters under the name Street Combat. Hard Battle was my favorite.

Gundam Musou 2/Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (PS3)

Spent most of my 2009 on this. Going Leeroy Jenkins in a giant Gundam was just too fun. :lol: Waiting patiently for the 3rd installment.

powergroover

monster death chunk
Reaction score
I'll start with mine:

Kikikaikai/Pocky and Rocky series (SNES)

Macross Scrambled Valkyrie (SNES) / Macross Plus (Arcade)

Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon series (SNES/N64)

totally agree with this three, so much fun in these
i really enjoyed playing goemon games, even though can't understand any words on it :lol:, first time i reached the robot stage, i was so amazed that this game had so many variation in gameplay at that time

i also played pocky and rocky together with my friends a few time in multiplayer mode, never managed to past the "baby turtle" stage if im not mistaken :rofl:, i guess we're just terrible at playing games :rofl:

metalman_ltd

Reaction score
Very simple old game called worms haven't heard of it in awhile. It would be an awesome Droid app... not iPhone app lol.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
I remember that game, definitely among the fun war strategy games of it's time along with Total Annihalation.

Gundam Musou 2/Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (PS3)

Spent most of my 2009 on this. Going Leeroy Jenkins in a giant Gundam was just too fun. :lol: Waiting patiently for the 3rd installment.

TA ftw!

And Dynasty warriors gundam 2 was amazing, same for the first one, although I hear that 3 might not make it to europe and the states. I could be wrong.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
And Dynasty warriors gundam 2 was amazing, same for the first one, although I hear that 3 might not make it to europe and the states. I could be wrong.

Taken from KOEI Warriors - A site for KOEI Information. A community for every Warrior.

US release date: June 29. Euro release date July 1. :D

EDIT: Speaking of which...

Sengoku Musou/Samurai Warriors series

Basically the Samurai version of Dynasty Warriors, my sister got me into the series and loved it since.

Sengoku Basara/Devil Kings series

Capcom's version of the above, but with more humor and explosions. Naturally I loved it too. :lol:

Orochi Musou/Warriors Orochi

Just combine Dynasty and Samurai into one game and you get this.

Severance

The Cockhammer
Reaction score
I'm going to have to heavily agree on mystical ninja that was possibly the best game ever on n64 I think I played through it like 20 times as a child if not more. I think I would also throw in the megaman legends series PSN needs to release a damned rom of that shit on classics. BOTH OF THEM PSN CURSE YOUUUUUUU.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Very simple old game called worms haven't heard of it in awhile. It would be an awesome Droid app... not iPhone app lol.

Is it this one by any chance?
banana-boy-worm-from-worms-2992.png

I used to play that game as a kid, and recently re-discovered it and realized how good it actually is.

Also, I'm not sure if it's an actual underrated game, but I really haven't come across anyone (other than my cousin) who's played Alien Vs. Predator 2, for PC. I've had it for ages, and it's just such a fun game. FPS game where you can play as any of the three species: Human, Predator, or Alien. It's pretty fun.

I also REALLY want to get Tales of The Abyss. I have only watched the anime (which follows the exact same story of the game, but more watered down) and it kicked major butt. However, I hear that the game itself beats the anime 100 times over, so I'm really wanting to get that one. It's an RPG style game.

Daiephir

likes peanut butter
Reaction score
I was the only guy I knew of to own a copy of Eternal Ring on my PS2, don't know if it counts though :lol:

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect on original Xbox!

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Heroes of Might and Magic series. I don't think that it is that obscure but to me it's the best game/s of all time (apart from 5). Every person i've shown feels the same way

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Run Like Hell for the PS2 was awesome. Lance Henriksen did voice work, and Breaking Benjamin were on the soundtrack. It was planned as a trilogy but the studio that made it went bust. :(

The Lost World on the PSX was amazing. <3

The Munk

Reaction score
I realize I'm dating myself here, as what is now known as a Playstaion today was called 'the dining room table' in my day, but:

Pythagoras and Othello (aka Reversi)
Backgammon, Acey-deucey, and chess also rank highly.

')