Favorite underappreciated/obscure games thread

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Taken from KOEI Warriors - A site for KOEI Information. A community for every Warrior.

US release date: June 29. Euro release date July 1. :D

Now I have the game...

Gundam Musou 3 (Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3) gets added.

Definitely among the better Gundam games out there (with the exception of Seed Destiny in Arcade, Gundam games tend to suck in general) and it's definitely an improvement over the second one (even with all of Koei's half-assed attempts and rushjobs). I don't mind playing the same maps and same mundane missions as long as I get to play all the 00 units complete with Trans Am modes. And adding the Stardust Memory and Gundam X protagonists and more characters from Gundam Wing are a definite plus since they missed out on the previous game.

Yes, this game has taken over my gaming life. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists Of The Roses, or something like that? It's pretty much how every TCG/video game hybrid should be like.

flint757

Reaction score
I liked Alone in the dark and Beyond Good and Evil

Alone in the Dark is epic awesome you control so much of the character...

groph

Reaction score
Urban Assault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Probably the best game ever made.

Tzar: The Burden of the Crown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - like Age of Empires sort of, plus magic items and unit veterancy that eventually reaches hero status. Full of bugs and it's pretty imbalanced but it's fun.

Oh man, I just had the hugest rush of nostalgia watching this. I played the fuck out of Earthsiege 2 when I was a wee one. I was terrified of it at first, fighting against alien robots and the sound effects of the footsteps freaked me out but I got used to it. It's pretty much Mechwarrior. You pilot a HERC (mech) that is armed to the teeth with lasers, missiles, autocannons (actually gatling guns in the game), particle beams, large zappy things, plasma cannons that own shit, and a host of electronic countermeasures devices if you prefer to be devious. After enemy kills, you gain salvage that you can use to build new HERCs, weapons, and do repairs. I didn't know at the time, but you can command your squad from your HERC. The guy playing isn't blowing the heads off of the enemies because if you took out a leg and disabled the enemy you'd get a lot more salvage so the "trick" to that game was to aim for the feet. Switching from active radar mode to passive radar mode makes you invisible to the enemy until you start shooting, so that's why the enemies appear incredibly stupid at times.

Urban Assault is a combined shooter/RTS where you defend a main base called a Host Station, build units, destroy enemies, and command your own units around the map. You can assume control of any of your units. It was hard as fuck, and the game was incredibly rare.

Qweklain

Reaction score
I liked Alone in the dark and Beyond Good and Evil

Alone in the Dark is epic awesome you control so much of the character...
The Alone in the Dark series is indeed awesome. I know the newest one on 360 did not take very well, but it was a really good game.

One-Eyed Jack's Revenge graphically was quite hilarious, however the game itself was RIDICULOUSLY hard, and there were a few times where if you forgot to grab an item earlier in the game, you had no chance of beating the game and had to restart. What an incredibly frustrating game if you did no know what to do!

I have all of them, but have not played New Nightmare yet. It is in my extremely large collection of PS1/2 games I have yet to play, some games even yet to open!!

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Gotta be Primal on the PS2. There was a big media push, but it apparently didn't result in too much. Soundtrack by 16Volt and a the killer Prague Philharmonic, unreal graphics for its time, wonderful characters and voice acting. Had the whole 9 yards (IMO). A sequel could have been made but I guess not.

Qweklain

Reaction score
:agreed: Did you ever get to play Project Sylpheed? It's supposed to be the 'spiritual' sequel, though it's not really related.
That game is excellent as well, but there is also another one that is very similar to that or prequel maybe? Raystorm and something else I think... the name eludes me at this time.

Einhander never gets enough love. Was a Square game before they contracted the Enix
Einhander is ALWAYS at a location of easy to get to when I am continuing my progress through my PS games. I have given it plenty of love, and hate lol, believe me!

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Just got Psychonauts on Steam last night. It'll be nice to play it again.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I found an interesting Super Mario World hack last night, called Super Mario Bros. 4 - Mystery of the Five Stones. The gameplay feels very much like Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, with perhaps an inkling of Super Mario World. Mario hacks usually involve making the game impossible to play, but this is a nice hack because while it is difficult it is still possible for a normal person to actually do it. Also, the new graphics are done very well, which makes the game pleasant to look at.

The way I found out about it was that I was looking for information on a rather strange pirate game out of China called "Super Mario 14". :lol:

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
The way I found out about it was that I was looking for information on a rather strange pirate game out of China called "Super Mario 14". :lol:

Wow, what a mash-up of games? I see a little Mario, Megaman, and Little Nemo.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Wow, what a mash-up of games? I see a little Mario, Megaman, and Little Nemo.

The gameplay is actually kind of cool. What they did was take a game called Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3 and put Mario's head on the protagonist's sprite.

Some of these get really hilarious.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
The gameplay is actually kind of cool. What they did was take a game called Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3 and put Mario's head on the protagonist's sprite.

Ah...HA!!! *strokes chin like karate master* So THAT Eees-a where Yoshimitsu-san got his weird pogo-jumpy-sword-thingy fram. Make-a sense-aru now-a. A-ha... a-ha-ha... A-HA. *strokes chin again for dramatic effect*:lol::lol::lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates! for NES. This was the first console game I remember that was fully "sandbox" style. If you wanted to sail around and blast everything instead of completing missions, you could totally do that. The graphics were fairly bad, and the controls were a bit creeky, but to me that just reinforced the feel of sailing old wooden ships.

Also Crystal Warriors for SEGA. It was the first RPG-style video game - and went on to inspire the more popular Defenders of Oasis and Final Fantasy games. The graphics were amazing for the time period, the music was good, and the game play was formidable.

Dragon Warrior III. I loved being able to explore medieval planet earth, fighting apes, dragons, and weird man-eating plants while being able to customize my party. You could create your own back-up characters like "soldier," "pilgrim," "fighter," et cetera, or you could be weird and add characters like the merchant, who sucked at fighting and couldn't use spells, but could find a couple of measley gold coins during battle (?) or the goof-off who would do completely random things no matter what option you selected..."attack" "goof-off broke into a song" "attack" "goof-off tried to run away" etc.

Mexi

Reaction score
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Wing Commander 3 (can't go wrong with malcom mcdowell and mark hamill)

Vectorman (Genesis)

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Bumping this up to add a game I've been anticipating to add to my collection. And now I have it. :woot:

Xenoblade (Chronicles)

Considering the last few Japanese RPGs have been rather lackluster, this game throws a wrench in the works and has more freedom in it's genre, and the story is absolutely amazing. IMO, what FFXII should have been like.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Bumping this up to add a game I've been anticipating to add to my collection. And now I have it. :woot:

Xenoblade (Chronicles)

Considering the last few Japanese RPGs have been rather lackluster, this game throws a wrench in the works and has more freedom in it's genre, and the story is absolutely amazing. IMO, what FFXII should have been like.

Yea, that one pisses me off since frikkin Nintendo has no plans of selling it locally.

I loved Xenogears and was pretty eagerly awaiting this title too.

')