Favourite 5 guitarists?

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
^Robben Ford is a fantastic note picker! Watch his Youtube lessons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Vinnie Moore
Paul Gilbert
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Yngwie Malmsteen

InVinoVeritasXXX

Reaction score
1 - John Abernathy (Conducting from the Grave)

Holy poopballs, is this guy good. Seriously, best guitarist alive right now. He will play circles around anybody else brought up in this thread except for Tosin Abasi. But we all know Abasi stands for A Badass Android Shredding Intensely. I see the wires, robot-man! You don't count! You don't count...

2 - Ryan McGee (The Holy Guile)

This guy is the reason I re-entered the world of extended-range guitars and thus joined this forum. His riffs crush and his leads flourish. Since none of you know who this band is, just Youtube "The Holy Guile FSU" and be amazed.

3 - Trent Hafdal (After the Burial)

This guy is the reason I'm getting an 8-string. The band's career has had it's hills and valleys, but they seem to have hit a sweet spot with their latest album, and that sweet spot involves some serious gut-rumbling.

4 - Misha Mansoor (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

He's Bulb. Nuff said.

5 - Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy)

Honestly, this band would have been Rise Against, but the guitar slot in that band is... *sunglasses* Everchanging. So I'll give it to my favorite pop songwriter, who wrote riffs I'm still busting out seven years after cutting my guitar teeth on them. Take This to Your Grave is an amazing pop-punk album. If all you listen to is metal, it's not for you, but it's great for anybody with an inner 14-year-old girl.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
1- Jason Becker

2- Guthrie Govan

3- Christian Muenzner
4- Kiko Loureiro
5- Jeff Loomis/Chris Broderick

Loomis if you go for taste, Broderick if you go for skills.

6th, as I think he deserves a mention, Alex Skolnick

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
If I had to pick, my list would be mostly boring considering two of my friends (and band mates) are in the list. I'll try to name a few guitarists that others would know, though.

Keith Merrow is definitely probably my all around favorite. Great music, and a great guy.

Misha Mansoor, as I thoroughly enjoy his play style and at least at one time, his blatant ignorance of theory. The stuff he writes/plays gives hope to my uneducated ass. (I really ought to learn me some theory.)

Cole Rolland, from YouTube. I'm not typically a fan of the fast unnecessary solo type music, but he does it well and his videos are entertaining.

Johnny (fortiori), again from youtube. He's been super helpful in teaching me a lot of stuff without just giving presets or whatever. Some great songs, covers and originals.

Then I'd have to say either Ola Englund or Tosin Abasi. I'm not a huge fan of Tosin's music, but he's a phenomenal guitarist and I could watch him play for hours. Seems like a really nice guy too. Ola seems absolutely human, and that is a great thing, IMO. His Facebook, for example, isn't bogged down with self promotion and whatever. He jokes around a lot, and just seems like a genuine person. His music is great, and I absolutely love the "deluxe" versions of his albums. I really wish more artists would release a whole album's worth of stems, midi, presets, whateverthefuk.

So there we go, 5 guitarists that aren't just my close friends. No particular order here, though I do think Keith is my all time favorite right now. There are tons of other guitarists I love (and my close friends really are some of my favorites,) but I think this is a pretty accurate list all the same.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
No order:

Allan Holdsworth
Paul Gilbert
David T Chastain
Alex Skolnick
Akira Takasaki

Gotta give an honorable mention to Ron Jarzombek and George Lynch who just barely missed the cut...

mdeeRocks

Reaction score
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Keith Richards
Jeff Loomis
Dave Gilmour

gordon_mlz

Reaction score
I think they're a few of the best composers I've listened to, mainly because the just don't use the same harmonic minor scales, common chords, etc. I like some of the "jazzy" chords from their songs, like for example, one of the first low chugga riffs of Racecar.

And by the way, what are your top 5?

No insult intended. I like periphery, but I've never ever considered their guitarists as the best of all time.

Mine would be, in no order:

Paul Waggoner (BTBAM)
Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist)
Chris Letchford (Scale the Summit)
Paul Gilbert
Tosin Abasi

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Kurt Ballou (converge)
James Hetfield
Jim Root
John frusciante
matt pike

Thorerges

Reaction score
Here are my top 5, brief description why:

Guthrie Govan:

Everything Mr. Govan does is exceptionally musical. He picks all the right notes, with a remarkable intuition of when to accentuate a certain note and his technique is completely flawless. The breadth of his fanbase is testament to how universal his guitar playing is. I get bored of guitar albums rather quickly - there is only so much you can do when focusing on a single instrument, but Govan has so much to express I don't think this will ever be an issue for him.

Christian Muenzner:

One of the worst things in death metal are the guitar solos - usually some sporadic, unmusical jibberish under layer upon layer of distorted guitars. Muenzner, for me anyway, changed all that - first with Necrophagist and then with Obscura. His musicianship is quite unbelievable, and thanks to his tapping technique - he is one of the most distinguishable guitar players on the planet. He has a second solo album coming out and I can't wait for it.

Ron Jarzombek:

An undeniable virtuoso, I didn't think music like Blotted Science was possible. It's too erratic and unpredictable for most people - but where everyone sees chaos, there's extreme musicality and elegance in his guitar playing. Jarzombek just knows how to do music without conforming to any standards set by most guitarists, I don't know what genre to fit his playing style into, but for me he can pretty much play anything.

John Petrucci:

A complete guitar player. Petrucci was my first introduction to virtuosic guitar playing in heavy metal music. For me, the metal scene would not be so technical, and so highly musical, if it weren't for John Petrucci's guitar playing in dream theater.

Dimebag Darrell:

The reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. I still think Dimebag wrote some of the most devastating riffs in rock history. Put on a record like "The Great Southern Trendkill", and you have guitar playing which would fit right into modern metal. I like to think he is someone with a very good understanding of 'metal tone', and can play really catchy riffs and highly mellow solos as well.

Honorable mentions:

Frederik Thordendal - Lovely solo album, lovely work with Meshuggah - but his solos for the band have taken a real dive for me. I was very disappointed by Koloss because he didn't write any solos that showed just how talented a guitar player he is.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
+1 for Muenzner. One thing I always wondered, how many fingers does Christian use when tapping? He's probably one of the most proficient guitarists alive, the solo in Vortex Omnivium still blows my little mind!

Thorerges

Reaction score
+1 for Muenzner. One thing I always wondered, how many fingers does Christian use when tapping? He's probably one of the most proficient guitarists alive, the solo in Vortex Omnivium still blows my little mind!

He uses 8 fingers for almost all of his tapping, he's quite good at it at this point. I like the Vortex Omnivium solo, but his solo record is really where it is at - he explores all kinds of music on that record.

I think he has an indiegogo campaign that you can still fund.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Probably listed off my usual grind, death and math favorites ad nauseam so I'll give you some off-beat picks

Tim Collis - This Town Needs Guns
Mario Camarena - Chon
Ian Williams - Don Callero, Battles
Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
Matt Talbott - Hum

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Probably listed off my usual grind, death and math favorites ad nauseam so I'll give you some off-beat picks

Tim Collis - This Town Needs Guns
Mario Camarena - Chon
Ian Williams - Don Callero, Battles
Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
Matt Talbott - Hum

I fvcking love Hum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say:

Mark Morton/Willie Adler
Papa Het
Randy Rhoads
Stephen Carpenter
Adam Jones

And the next 5, though none of these are in any sort of order:

Dime
Page
Vai
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Jerry Cantrell

There are too many more to name, but that is a good starting point.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
oooo thats tough for only 5. These players have inspired my playing the most (in no order) Jason becker, jeff loomis, michael keene, muhammed suicmez, marc okubo, lee mckinney, jason richardson,tosin abasi, guthrie govan, devin townsend.

Reaction score
I guess if I could only list 5 it be the ones below.

Some of the most inspiring ones for me going way back.

Syu - (Galneryus)
Marty Friedman
SRV
Dimebag Darrell
Joe Satriani

broj15

Reaction score
Efrim Menuck - Godspeed You! Black Emperor / Thee Silver Mt. Zion
Parker Lawson - Two Knights / Flesh born / Father Figure
Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits
Paul Kantner - Jefferson Airplane
Sean Seaton - Lilu Dallas / Age Sixteen

Edit: Guess an honorable mention should be David Gilmour, not so much for his playing (although I do love his playing) but more for his use of noise on the earlier Floyd albums, especially considering what little technology he had available compared to guitarists today.

Latest posts

')