Favourite Fretboards?

• Thread starter Rocks256
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Favourite Fretboards?

• 1. Rosewood

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • 2. Maple

Votes: 41 23.7%
  • 3. Ebony

Votes: 96 55.5%
  • 4. Other

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

Rocks256

Reaction score
Hello.

What is your favourite fretboard, what is the reason to pick particular one? Explain and share.

I have two guitars, and maybe will add second 7 string in future or other guitar. I have damien elite 7 mk.2 by Schecter (mk 2 is for fixed bridge version) and i don't get along with rosewood. The feel under hands is okay, however i preffer brighter woods. I have to admit i love one piece maple neck in my Fender Telecaster, it looks sexy with red body. Wish i could have maple fretboard or one piece maple neck on schecter. I known there is dark red version with maple neck of Jeff Loomis 7 string but i cannot afford it at the moment, it costs here 1200$ while my schecter is 500$ and fender is 600$.

I wish there were more affordable 7 string with maple fretboard, i can't stand white or blue 7 string with rosewood or ebony, theres something that doesnt look okay about it.

Whats your desire?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
I haven't played many guitars but: I don't like maple because many guitar that have it are Fenders likes with 7.5 or 9.5" radius and laquer finish, which i don't like, i don't mind ebony, rosewood is complicated, i hate "bad" rosewood with holes and crevasses in them, but on the other hand, the rosewood board on ma Washburn MB-6 is by far the smoother and most confortable board i have ever played. Much more than some original Music Man EVH models and 10K$ Fenders customs strats

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Ebony, but for me it's all about the looks

People talk about "feel", but when are you ever actually touching the fretboard? My finger touches the string, and the string presses against the metal fret. At no point (I think) does my finger ever touch the wood.

Are people playing with super small frets, low action and pressing really hard?

Breakdown

Reaction score
A nice dark piece of ebony . Or a nice tight grained dark brown piece of rosewood. Maple is cool but im not a fan of how dirty oiled ones get or how lacquered boards look and feel.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
My favourite is African Blackwood, its harder and tighter grained than ebony and is darker when oiled. It polishes up really smooth and retains a slippy feel for longer without oiling.
25289562_10212852406877679_4295960475066358624_n.jpg

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
depends on the overall aesthetics of the guitar and what kind of look I want. Lately I really like maple since it's more environmentally friendly (plus it's a lot harder to source good pitch black ebony).

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
I have a few favorites, so I voted other.

- Ebony.
- African Blackwood, my only worry with this one is import/export, maybe the next brazillian.
- Snakewood.
- Ziricote.
- Satinwood ( I have daydreams of a flamed satinwood fretboard combined with a solid-white holly top).

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Another guy for whom it just depends on looks. Depends on the guitar. As long as the frets are level, they all play fine.

oracles

Reaction score
Phenolic, the same material Parker and Washburn were using. Combined with well done stainless frets, there is nothing smoother. I wish more builders would use it, it's the cats ass.

Richlite is great because its largely maintenance free, and its largely very uniform for aesthetics.

If I had to pick a wooden material, macassar ebony.

blacai

Reaction score
After choosing ebony I double checked if I had read the question correctly :p
I could try some OGRE guitars last year, wich mount "magnesium" and it was also interesting, but a little bit weird.

JSanta

Reaction score
Best fretboard I've ever played on has been on any of the Parker Fly's I've owned. Next is maple and then rosewood.

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
How many times am I going to waste my interbreath explaining that Parker never used phenolic boards...If there was “nothing like them”, people wouldn’t constantly refer to 1mm carbon fiber sheets and slabs of phenolic resin as the same thing.

Anyway, I prefer the smooth feel of zero-maintenance, synthetic boards - But own a lot of wooden fingerboard-guitars because my fingers generally don’t miss the strings and touch the board.

I have some Speedball India ink set aside for dying some Pao Ferro because the black hardware making the brown pop pisses me off.

')