Fear Factory - Aggression Continuum

• Thread starter sonoftheoldnorth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dudley

Reaction score
I’m a huge FF fan, they got me in to music overall and playing guitar. The bar is set low for me to be amped up by new material by them... but that was just bad.

How do you blow your recording advance from the label, crowdfund more money for mixing/mastering and still end up with such a poor sounding recording? Super twangy and bad tone to go along with the uninspiring riffs.

All that being said, I’m still going to listen to the album and be beyond excited the second it shows up on Apple Music

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PatientMental76

Reaction score
I’m a huge FF fan, they got me in to music overall and playing guitar. The bar is set low for me to be amped up by new material by them... but that was just bad.

How do you blow your recording advance from the label, crowdfund more money for mixing/mastering and still end up with such a poor sounding recording? Super twangy and bad tone to go along with the uninspiring riffs.

All that being said, I’m still going to listen to the album and be beyond excited the second it shows up on Apple Music
If you can make a better sounding recording please let me know the secret, the tone is very tight & mixed well its just how the dude plays its no different than anything else Dino has done post Demanufacture, it may even be a little tighter! You can clearly hear the Kemper & he uses light strings! All these critics but funny no links to their fantastic music/production work!

Knyas

Reaction score
If you can make a better sounding recording please let me know the secret, the tone is very tight & mixed well its just how the dude plays its no different than anything else Dino has done post Demanufacture, it may even be a little tighter! You can clearly hear the Kemper & he uses light strings! All these critics but funny no links to their fantastic music/production work!
Found Dino's alt.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I've recorded some shitty-sounding guitars in my day, so I guess that makes me obligated to like everything that sounds better. Fuck.

oldbulllee

Reaction score
So uhh
This happened
https://twitter.com/DinoCazares/status/1352395133497397248

1047e0bf9877b73e2ab49bb1e017055d.png

Not sure where else to put it, but yeah.

from experience, something like that would happen if it was fired from some distance. say more than 100 meters. the piece of metal he mentions, is a thin strip of aluminum, and wouldn't stop anything more than another piece of aluminum.

oldbulllee

Reaction score
* puts on tinfoil hat*
Hmmm what if Dino actually had a rock hit his windshield, and faked the bullet being lodged in his windshield for publicity/to throw shade on the other FF guys....
i'm joking. That would be batshit insane. hilarious, but insane.
the rifling marks are clearly visible, so it was definitely fired from a gun. but maybe he did shoot it at something soft, recovered it and put it in there.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
the rifling marks are clearly visible, so it was definitely fired from a gun. but maybe he did shoot it at something soft, recovered it and put it in there.
It's not deformed at all, which is why I made the joke about it being planted.

wakjob

Reaction score
Sucks that one, if not my favorite metal band ever has so much B.S. and drama involved.

Anyway, I could watch Dino do playthrough's all day long.
And I will have a Elan Metalhead Marshall some day!

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
IDK why people are giving him shit for his tone. Sounds better than his tone on Industrialist or Genexus.
I can’t help but think people are comparing his tone to modern contemporaries (djent and whatnot). FF has never been about anything other than crushing distortion with just enough definition to emphasize Dino’s palm muting (with the very occasional clean-ish section). But you already know this… :)

Seriously, the tone on (what are imo) classics like Demanufacture and Obsolete kind of sounds like crap - and yet it’s friggin awesome in the given context.

Last edited:

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's hard to explain, but his tone has this kind of middy-fizz that usually sounds "crispy" and aggressive whereas with the new song the characteristic sounds (to me) mushy instead.

Dudley

Reaction score

Lol, settle down tiger... they're only words, they can't hurt you:cond:

Dino's tone has been different on every record he's ever been been on - I'd be incredibly impressed if someone sounded identical despite cycling through different amps, effects, cabs, guitars, pickups, studios, engineers, producers, microphones etc. over several decades. If you think this is 'no different' then maybe you need to get your hearing checked, or just over-react to other peoples opinions a little bit less? Your call :)

I wouldn't say this tone is more or less tight than usual for him, but to my ears there's an obnoxious fizz/twang to it that really isn't to my tastes and isn't something I'd typically expect to hear from him. Obsolete was definitely fizzy as anything, and he's always had a lot of top end and attack, but this isn't too reminiscent of prior tones to me.

')