Feedback/Experience on the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11/TB-11)

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Looking to throw a Duncan Custom Custom (TB-11/SH-11) in my 2004 Godin Freeway Classic HSH with stock Godin bridge pickup (15K Ceramic) made by G & B . Really like the stock bridge pickup but looking for a more 'musical/rich/dynamic/smooth' bridge pickup that is medium to medium-hot output. Tend to play mostly rock and hard rock with this instrument (E-Standard and Drop D).

I know Godin has used and still does use (on some of their models) the Duncan Custom Custom in their guitars with similar specs so I am pretty certain that it will match the guitar, however, I'm looking for feedback on the overall tonal characteristics and people's experience with this pickup. Thanks.

Guitar specs:

Body: Maple center, Poplar wings
Neck: Maple Bolt-on
Fretboard: Rosewood

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Love this pickup. I use it in several guitars...poplar, alder, and maple/mahogany.
It isn't tight- the bass is sort of loose here...but the pickup takes up a lot of sonic space. It is great for 1 guitar bands. Lots of mids, but in a really great way.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Love this pickup. I use it in several guitars...poplar, alder, and maple/mahogany.
It isn't tight- the bass is sort of loose here...but the pickup takes up a lot of sonic space. It is great for 1 guitar bands. Lots of mids, but in a really great way.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I've heard the low-end isn't super tight, but from soundclips it seems plenty tight when used with a high gain amp. Would you agree? Would you say the low-end is still 'fast' overall in response, or does it get messy?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I had this pickup in an old Washburn superstrat with an alder body, maple neck and fretboard, and an original Floyd.

I normally prefer the regular Custom with a ceramic magnet since I usually only use the bridge pickup for heavy playing, but the CC held its own for a number of styles. I tuned as low as A on that guitar and it stayed fairly defined, so you should have no problems with it being loose in standard/drop D. It's very full in the mids, but in a pleasant and musical way. Even on the higher registers, it never has any frequencies that jump out in an annoying way. It's definitely a solid pickup for rock :yesway:

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I've heard the low-end isn't super tight, but from soundclips it seems plenty tight when used with a high gain amp. Would you agree? Would you say the low-end is still 'fast' overall in response, or does it get messy?

Honestly, it is pretty messy. The low end is simply not what it does best. The Alnico II magnet doesn't allow any tightness, but without it, you wouldn't get those great mids.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Sorry for the random, slightly off-topic thought, but I'm curious what a Custom Custom Custom Custom would sound like.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Ew, what're they doing to that poor Custom Custom? Why is he trying to play metalcore on an alnico 2 loaded guitar? :(

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Ew, what're they doing to that poor Custom Custom? Why is he trying to play metalcore on an alnico 2 loaded guitar? :(

Why not? The one guitarist from A Day To Remember rocks PRS 85/15's (alnico 2's, with lower output than even the custom custom) in Drop C and even lower :hbang:

cthroatgtr

Reaction score
The custom custom can be a really cool pickup in the right situation. It is very sweet sounding but is a little soft in the bottom end. A2 by nature is sweeter than A5 but can be a bit mushy as well. If I was doing fusion it would be great. I think Diver Down/Fair Warning era VH is a good representation of this pickup, regardless of if he used that or not. Round soft bottom, sweet highs. I would recommend also if you have a guitar that sounds bright, like a super strat/floyd/maple guitar.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
They couldn't have come up with a better name than Custom Custom or Custom Custom Custom? Surely they have to be aware of how tacky and terrible that sounds?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
They couldn't have come up with a better name than Custom Custom or Custom Custom Custom? Surely they have to be aware of how tacky and terrible that sounds?

Ha ha, it's true the name's aren't the best, but the naming scheme is based off of the magnet used, since the 'custom' series pickups are all the same, but differ based on magnet.

Custom = Ceramic
Custom 5 = A5
Custom Custom = A2
Custom Custom Custom = A3 (This was a pickup SD made for Godin, and Godin called it the Custom Custom Custom, likely because they were trying to continue with the naming scheme; although, a Custom 3 sounds better in my opinion, lol.)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Screw you guys. I still want some Custom Custom Custom Customs. :rant2:

:lol:

Then again, if I did go back to passives, I'd probably just get a Custom Custom, and 59s in the neck, perhaps with different magnets in the 59s.

')