Feedback Problems

• Thread starter bitterbeings
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I mute the strings on my guitar there's no feedback, however when i ease my fingers off the strings the feedback starts coming in loudly. is this an amp problem? or normal?

also, it not normal "standing too close to the amp feedback" because if i take the guitar outside the room it still does it.

here's a video of what it's doing:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Microphonic feedback, it sounds like. Try a new cable, and it if isn't that, then it may be pickups.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
Microphonic feedback, it sounds like. Try a new cable, and it if isn't that, then it may be pickups.

Yell into your pickups. If they pick up the sound of your voice = microphonic. (Edit: to clarify, they should not.)

Otherwise, high sound levels can vibrate the coils in the pickups, which produces noise through your amp, which makes a higher sound level, which vibrates the coils in your pickups.....etc.

From a technique standpoint, I think you might benefit from some quality time with the volume knob on your guitar. You shouldn't really ever have your guitar wide open without touching the strings unless you're going to play it.

BabUShka

Reaction score
What pickups do you use?
My EMG707s had that kind of uncontrollable feedback, turned out to be the pickup adjustment springs that caused it.. The pickup picked up the vibrations from those springs.
I replaced them with some squishing foam and that fixed my feedback problem.. Check it out.
You can troubleshoot the pickups by adjusting the springs and see if the feedback shange frequency, if so: Youve found the problem.
If not, might be something else.. Like the pickups picking up noises from the trem or maybe the cable..

EDIT: If the feedback only comes when the strings are untouched, well.. Thats normal.

Reaction score
EDIT: If the feedback only comes when the strings are untouched, well.. Thats normal.
is it normal even if you take your guitar completely out of the room and it still does it?. i mean, this feedback is blaringly loud and kicks in fast. it makes it unplayable.

i'll try all your suggestions though, thanks guyz.

btw - all of my guitars are doing this. the pickups on the guitar in the video are passive duncans. one of my guitars has EMG pickups though and it's even worse.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
How high do you have your amp turned up? How high is your gain set?

Have you tried backing down both and seeing at what point (if any) the feedback stops?

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Microphonic tube, possibly, if you're using a tube amp. Don't know if it would sound like that though.

')