Fell victim of PRS bad QC

• Thread starter Gander
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello fellas, brand new to the SS.

PRS SE 2019 https://imgur.com/gallery/KYfpzuD

I don't know if this is the right place but you guys seem to know your way around guitar hardware. Pictures show my 4 months old PRS SE custom's nut. It magically fell off during its 3rd string change, very frustrating stuff. I have treated this guitar better that a human baby, so I'm pretty sure I'm not at fault.

I'm very cautious when doing DIY stuff on guitars, so much that I don't do my own set ups, I prefer relying on technicians for that. Sadly due to the COVID no place is open and I am developing some good ol' finger anxiety. Is there any easy way to fix this without ruining this otherwise beautiful and perfectly functioning guitar?

My local home depot is open, that at least I can tell you.

Thank you beforehand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The nut is not meant to be permanently affixed, so no big deal. Just put a tiny (and I do mean ”tiny”) drop of super glue and you should be good to go.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Silly question, but I need to be careful: what brand/type of glue should I use?

I have read that there are glues around that treat wood better than others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Silly question, but I need to be careful: what brand/type of glue should I use?

I have read that there are glues around that treat wood better than others.

Plain old Krazy Glue works fine. You want it to be thin and watery, so stay away from anything that says ”gel” or ”thick” or ”high viscosity”, etc.

Put a little dab in the center of the nut, press in place, wipe off the excess with a damp cloth, then hold for about a minute. Give it time to set (it should say how long on the packaging), and you should be good to go.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You are a sun, I will try that today.
Thanks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are a sun, I will try that today.
Thanks.

No problem, feel free to come back if you have any more questions or concerns.

Remember, the idea is to lightly hold the nut in place, not to permanently glue it down super strong.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
you don't need to glue the nut. there's 80 pounds of string tension holding it in place.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
you don't need to glue the nut. there's 80 pounds of string tension holding it in place.

Already tried, when tuning the strings the nut would constantly move to one side. Not worth it.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can usually keep it centered if you tune the outer strings first, but you might as well glue it in place if it's a hassle. :2c:
Yeah, I'm going to go the safe route and glue a little bit.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I also like to use wood glue or Elmer's white glue-all. Like Max said, not a lot. 2 dots below the nut.

but yeah, it happens. I've had it happen to some of my guitars.

Even IF string pressure holds the nut down; if you need to change string, theres a GOOD chance your nut will pop out. Just glue the fucker back on. :lol:

Bearitone

Reaction score
Surprised no one said fish glue. Isn’t that what fish glue is perfect for?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Surprised no one said fish glue. Isn’t that what fish glue is perfect for?

Not worth it in this application. Maybe if this was a vintage acoustic and some binding pulled up and needed some work as well, but CA is cheaper, more readily available, and less foreign to most.

It's one of those things I've only ever used on request and for particular instruments.

There are a lot of natural glue diehards, but I still think modern adhesives are better 99% of the time on recent solid bodies with impermeable finishes.

')