Females and Metal

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score

I see quite a few underground bands in Japan with female members. Sept Star Sete, Flagitious Idiosyncrsy In The Dilapidation and Gallhammer come to mind (but Gallhammer aren't so good.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Women that like metal?

:wavey:

I am not having a go at anyone on this thread at all, I just feel there is an issue with how females in metal are perceived from my personal experience. I am in a band, with a female singer/sceamer whatever you want to call it, it angers me that people put "female" metal in a different bracket, that they bring it out like some novelty. I understand there are some bands who make a point of being female fronted, but in the end, just because someone is female and happens to play metal shouldn't change the opinion of a band, if the music is genuine and you like it, then great.

Unfortunately, sometimes as soon as people see a female in a band they don't take it seriously, and make patronising comments, they disregard the quality of the music and the talent of the female member.

Agree with you here completely. I wanna be known in the metal community for my talents as a musician, not my gender. :yesway:

artmachine

Reaction score
I am not having a go at anyone on this thread at all, I just feel there is an issue with how females in metal are perceived from my personal experience. I am in a band, with a female singer/sceamer whatever you want to call it, it angers me that people put "female" metal in a different bracket, that they bring it out like some novelty. I understand there are some bands who make a point of being female fronted, but in the end, just because someone is female and happens to play metal shouldn't change the opinion of a band, if the music is genuine and you like it, then great.

Unfortunately, sometimes as soon as people see a female in a band they don't take it seriously, and make patronising comments, they disregard the quality of the music and the talent of the female member.
I agree with this too and it sucks. It's kind of a double edged sword, though, because aggresive music can appear very misogynistic and can be precieved as only appropriate for men, which tends to keep women on the sidelines(sadly). But then when a female says, "screw that, I live and breathe this. I just want to create something I feel passionate about", she becomes a novelty, a joke, a sex symbol or simply isn't accepted at all.

Although, as much as I blame men for keeping women in the minority, there is still a huge number of females who are under the impression that playing an intstrument or having a genuine interest in aggresive music just isn't appropriate. People judge each other in every circle and clique and create ridiculous boundaries for themselves, which limit them in so many ways. No one is REALLY stopping anyone from doing what they love(at least from what I've seen). There should be no restrictions or misconceptions on either side of the fence. A true passion for something should give you tunnel vision and should allow you to block out all ignorance that people try to throw at you.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ Rep'd

Appropriate name too considering your apparent attitude toward making music. :yesway:

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score
Our local metal woman:

Ridiculous solo work. One of the only decent local musicians we have. :x

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
She is nothing but awesome. Her and Julie Christmas are rare in that they're women who don't come across as trying to capitalize on the fact that they are women who are making (heavier) music. And yeah, there's a lot of women out there who don't do that and get thrown into that category anyway and it's bullshit, but they're two that I know of whose work I fucking love.

This is the point of the thread.

What's the confusion about?

I'd like to add that my wife and I met through a Metallica forum. We share band shirts, and her metal style is and never was contrived at all. A lot of generalizations being thrown around in here.

TheSpaceforthis

Reaction score
There are many female vocalists and guitar players right now that are very good

Nita Strauss, The commander-in-chief (dunno her real name), Sabine Weniger, Alyssa White-Gluz, Orianthi, Elize Ryd, Anneke VanIcantspellherlastname, Aya Stefanowicz (I love her polish accent), Cristina Scabbia, Simone Simmons, Lzzy Hale, Sebastian Bach, Nina Treml...

And many more.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The Commander in Chief is such a baller name :lol:

That's homegirl on the first page w the green Ibby, no?

TheSpaceforthis

Reaction score
Thats a really nice performance there by evanescence.

Yeah she is pretty good too. I also liked the girl who used to sing in Ambeon, with a really sweet tone/color of voice, cant remember her name...I guess she retired from music, a pity.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Anneke VanIcantspellherlastname
Giersbergen :agreed:

While we're on the subject of Evenescence, did anyone else think their newest album was surprisingly good? Nothing too out-there of course, but I mean, good solid pop-rock tunes with a pretty heavy sound.

Yeah she is pretty good too. I also liked the girl who used to sing in Ambeon, with a really sweet tone/color of voice, cant remember her name...I guess she retired from music, a pity.
Astrid Van der Veen. She did a few albums since Ambeon but it's all indie rock. That's the thing about natural talent. Doesn't guarantee good taste.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
Girls in metal? You mean... Like Spencer Sotelo?
/stupid jokes.

Naw Spencer's beard is 100% hardcore manliness. I think it really depends on the person in question. Some women can pull it off, but sometimes... no.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
I didn't Intend for this to be sexist... I am 100% against sexism... I was hoping to find some new bands that have a female vocalist (Women tend to have a nice calming voice, Giving a good contrast with most metal music, And I also have a female friend who will be providing vocals for me so I wanted to get some examples of good bands with a female singer).

I also like to hear what other people's opinion on topics are.. xD

')