Females and Metal

• Thread starter Brill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Personally I really like female vocals in metal, it gives everything more dynamics and, for me atleast, it just works.

Epica is definitely in my top 3 bands, heres one of my favourite songs of theirs!

I really don't get why metal is such a male dominated genre to be honest, its great that bands like this are getting more and more support.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I'm trying to start a alternative metal band with two chicks one doing vocals and the otehr doing gutiar maybe. the singer may also do guitar. (3 guitars = teh brootlaz or just a muddy sound:scratch:)

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Alyssa White-Gluz of The Agonist is a phenomenal vocalist.

....and she's my big metal-chick crush :wub:

scaled.php

I personally love female vocals, and a slew of great bands have female vocalists, such as Flyleaf, Unsun, and In This Moment. I believe female vocalists are (usually) better at putting emotion into their vocal work.

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
Our local metal woman:

Ridiculous solo work. One of the only decent local musicians we have. :x

Wow, that was great! Only needs some better production and it´ll kick ass:hbang:.

I often feel that those who dress "metal" and wear band shirts etc. are in just for the scene, but those who are in for the music are a little ashamed that they listen to this kind of music. We have this one girl at our school who always wears big boots, dresses black, has lots of eyeliner, and wears those typical "entry level" metal band shirts. She has a boyfriend who says he loves her because she is so unique and doesn´t care what others think of her :noplease:.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I didn't Intend for this to be sexist... I am 100% against sexism... I was hoping to find some new bands that have a female vocalist (Women tend to have a nice calming voice, Giving a good contrast with most metal music, And I also have a female friend who will be providing vocals for me so I wanted to get some examples of good bands with a female singer).

I also like to hear what other people's opinion on topics are.. xD

I'm calm as a motherfucker right now.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score

This is the part that annoys me about some women in metal. This picture deliberately plays up the whole "OMG, I'm a cute hawt rebel metal chick!" aspect, and it's completely crass. Women seem to be afraid that, if they're not willing use their feminine wiles to market themselves, no one will pay attention to them. However, whenever I see something like this, it only serves to cast a shadow of doubt on their musical integrity, as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, my favorite "woman in metal" would probably be Leilindel from the band Unexpect. She's supremely capable of both operatic cleans and harsh screams. Additionally, her vocals are used as one thread in the tapestry that is Unexpect's music, they don't focus on it simply because OMG FEMALE METAL SINGER!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Three words.

Wendy

O.

Williams

Toughest chick alive.

'Course... she's dead...

Ckackley

Reaction score
Shameless plugging of my own band here.. We've got two women in the band and I love it. When we write they come up with stuff that a "guy" wouldn't . Different perspective I guess..

Guitarman700

Reaction score
I can't believe Grace Perry hasn't been mentioned. She's an amazing frontwoman and a total sweetheart on and off the stage. Much respect.

Drakt

Reaction score
Suprised no one has mentioned aliases yet.

I had listened to their album for a while without even realising the guitarist was female, most girls in metal seem a bit "omg im a girl in metal!" where she seems pretty genuine and not playing on the female aspect.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Are the screams that start at 2:04 still her? Because that is insane.

No, that's probably one of the other vocalists. Both the guitarists contribute harsh vocals as well. Most of her singing is clean, but you can hear her harsh vocals occasionally as well. The vocals right at 2:00 are her.

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
Awesome contribution... :fawk:

By the way... Sheila E doesn't really get as much recognition as she deserves if women in music is to be considered amazing. :2c:

CiC-promo2-endo-full.jpg

Also, which Ibby model is that? I swore I didn't like any of their new X shapes, but that doesn't look too bad.

The Falchion (X series - FALCHION | Ibanez guitars)

Also, how do you know that you're on SSO?

CiC-promo2-endo-full.jpg

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
seriously, no one mentioned Alexis brown?
She's one of my favorite Vocalists (male of female)

Come on, heavy band with a Sistah in charge, how can you not love this.

(also, she gives Jasta a run for his money.)

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
This is the part that annoys me about some women in metal. This picture deliberately plays up the whole "OMG, I'm a cute hawt rebel metal chick!" aspect, and it's completely crass. Women seem to be afraid that, if they're not willing use their feminine wiles to market themselves, no one will pay attention to them. However, whenever I see something like this, it only serves to cast a shadow of doubt on their musical integrity, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly.

90% of girls in metal are used as a big gimmick. I mean look at In This Moment and Agonist. Its pretty much everything is used besides the chicks doing vocals are all based around those girls looks. It's like the other members don't exist and the music shouldn't be the main focus of the band.

I might actually make a thread about this

')