Fender Blacktop series - anyone played on yet?

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
the H/S Jazzmaster looks tasty, wish it had a maple board though, the standard MIM tele will stay on my list for the moment...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I own a Blacktop Tele. Not bad for the buck. I paid $450 at the local GC. Pickups are okay, action and truss needed some adjustment, but since I tune to drop B, none issue. The necks are decent, 9.5" radius. Used DR DDTs (11s), I swapped the pickups out for EMG 81/85 (had to finagle the wire routing since there isn't a lot of room), replaced the nut with graphite, and threw on a set of Sperzel locking tuners I had. Pretty solid machine now.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I love these!

0302700540_md.jpg

fixed bridge, 2 humbuckers, strat style jack, awesome stuff, too bad they are CHEAP! I wonder if a Warmoth neck would fit on those?

Have you actually played one? Honestly, I think some of the Classic Vibe stuff is easily comparable in quality to the Mexican Fenders, and in some cases, I'd actually choose a Classic Vibe over a Mexi. Squier has really been bringing their A game recently.

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
A Jaguar without their switching system is almost insulting to the instrument. If you want a Jaguar, get this instead. The price hike is WELL WORTH IT.

Fender® Products

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I own a Blacktop Tele. Not bad for the buck. I paid $450 at the local GC. Pickups are okay, action and truss needed some adjustment, but since I tune to drop B, none issue. The necks are decent, 9.5" radius. Used DR DDTs (11s), I swapped the pickups out for EMG 81/85 (had to finagle the wire routing since there isn't a lot of room), replaced the nut with graphite, and threw on a set of Sperzel locking tuners I had. Pretty solid machine now.

To me that's exactly what these things are designed for, hot rodding, cos they only give you the bare essentials off the rack.

Got any pics? :D

CONTEMPT

MIDI ninja
Reaction score
Honestly, the only thing I like about Jaguars is the shape. That's all I want really. :agreed:

I understand completely. I've got a huuuge soft spot for the Jazzmaster / Jaguar / Mustang / Cyclone series of Fender guitars.

I do just want to point out that the upper rollers (which are normally just a wide-range volume and tone roller) can be wired (with the right pickups) to be blendable coil taps (the alpine white Fender Classic Player Jaguar H/H comes wired like this stock). That alone makes the Jaguar's switching options the raddest thing known to man.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
To me that's exactly what these things are designed for, hot rodding, cos they only give you the bare essentials off the rack.

Got any pics? :D

Yes....

telefull.jpg

Fender Blacktop Telecaster (MiM) (before the graphite nut)
EMG 81/85
Hipshot Bridge
Sperzel locking tuners

stratfull.jpg

Fender Strat (MiM)
EMG 81X
Fender Bridge
Warmoth Neck - maple/ebony, 12"-16" radius, tung-oil finish, thin "C" shape
and a close up of the headstock:

strathead.jpg

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
^ Like the mods you did on those ones. :hbang: Reminds me of the Jim Root series/Flathead series of olde..
Very clean looking. I love the slightly round radius of my strat, and it always makes me want to get one of these and set it up for drop A or something and put hot pickups in. Glad it can be done without much hassle.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I am a huge JR Fender fan. Wasn't much of a Fender lover until I played one. Now its pretty much Fender and PRS

AHelm

AHelm
Reaction score
This is mine. Not really a blacktop anymore though....

Mods include:
Hipshot bridge
Gotoh tuners
DiMarzio Dactivator/DAX combo
Graphite nut
Lefty Mexican neck

I guess the only thing left really is the body, but I thought the quality is pretty swell for the price, and I've liked all the ones I have played at guitar center and what not...

73488_1406959467867_1648850830_912149_232227_n.jpg

')