Fender guitars for metal

• Thread starter JakeRI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
What about James Root from Slipknot, he uses a Fender Tele with EMG's which I think is his signature guitar?

The James Root Tele, while cool, is not the least bit Tele :nono:, other than the shape. It's a very heavy, thick, solid chunk of mahogany, with EMG active humbuckers in it. I test ran one though a pair of Fender Twins, and as one would expect, it outputs a dark, dense tone more akin to a Studio LP, with a little crispness and articulation on the top.

also, for the most part, the birth of the superstrat filled a niche to accompany the birth of a new kinda of playing (the dawn of shred).... but the playing came first, prior to the most fancy, metal to the bone guitars. a clever company man said "holy shit, there's this new kinda of player on the horizon, let me make a guitar that will guarantee that you'll be able to master the shred just like him!" it's almost like developing a magic pill that will make you skinny. um... no.

This is only partially true... but players before were "playing through" the shortcomings of their instruments to some extent. The superstrat companies made the biggest changes on the neck side of things, introducing flatter fingerboard radii, bigger frets, more frets (Stratocasters had 21, remember) and thinner necks... these, along with a few other elements separated those guitars from their predecessors... though there was a bit of marketing in there. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSilence

Reaction score
Bring back the art of shred lol, I recently purchased a guitar world magazine, it has an interview with Mike Varney who started up Shrapnel records. It inspired me to have a listen to some of these guys. But besides that there were a few pics of, namely Yngwie Malmsteen with a standard Strat by the looks?

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
But besides that there were a few pics of, namely Yngwie Malmsteen with a standard Strat by the looks?

Not entirely. He uses DiMarzio stacked humbucker pickups, and the fretboard is scalloped (he might also have installed bigger frets, not sure).
But yea, it's still a pretty standard Strat otherwise. Standard trem, standard neck profile, radius etc, and standard woods.
However, I've never liked his rhythm tone at all. It's nothing like the tight classic rhythm tones of Iron Maiden or say Metallica.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
OBI001.jpg

Trevor Peres from Obituary :D

DavyH

Elderly juvenile
Reaction score
Of course Fender don't do metal:

dsc00327ok4.jpg

Oh my sainted fucking aunt. You can do metal with damn near anything given the right set-up.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Jon Levasseur from Cryptopsy used a fat strat for years. Listen to None So Vile. He did almost all of the gutiar on that disc.

JakeRI

Reaction score
nice observation.

now that im thinking about it though, peavey does have a strat type model that gets a really good metal tone. i was surpirsed cause i remember it being cheap

DavyH

Elderly juvenile
Reaction score
Yup, Custom Shop Flat Head Showmaster. This is the one guitar I'd take with me if my place was on fire (I'd apologise to all the others first though).

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the coolest Fenders I've ever seen:metal: And I imagine it pulls off some supreme metal tones to boot.

')