Fender guitars for metal

• Thread starter JakeRI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JakeRI

Reaction score
what do you guys think about playing fender guitars for metal? im in an argument with someone about. i wouldn't do it.

the setting would be:
a progressive, heavy, band with meshuggah rip-off riffs (8 string) and then clean jazz parts.

thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
I've played tons of metal riffs on humbuckered strats.

If I wasn't a 7 stringer, I'd sport a strat for metal. :shred:...sorry :D

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see what there is to argue about. :shrug: On the album, people will have no idea what guitar you are playing, and if it just so happens to be a Fender, it wouldn't be any less heavy.
And then live, I would think it'd be awesome to have a guitar that looked like a Strat but was actually a metal machine.. that's why I liked my last Charvel so much.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Fender doesn't make any 8 strings (or 7 strings either) so I don't see how you can play some Meshuggah ripoff without having a Fender Bass VI (30.3" scale baritone 6er) with humbuckers installed

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Fender doesn't make any 8 strings (or 7 strings either) so I don't see how you can play some Meshuggah ripoff without having a Fender Bass VI (30.3" scale baritone 6er) with humbuckers installed

Agreed. :agreed: I can think of plenty of metal that occurs on Strats, but not anything in the Meshuggah variety.

JakeRI

Reaction score
yeah fender is good for iron maiden stuff. the point is im in an argument cause im an 8 string player and this dude might start playing with us and he said maybe use a six string fender. doesn't fit i fyou ask me

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Metal comes mostly from the amp. People play metal on superstrats, strats and even teles. It's better to have a humbucker at the bridge.

But if you need a 7 (or 8), Fender doesn't make one.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
gary from exodus used to play strats if i'm not mistaken, iron maiden as well, nothing wrong with strats for metal, imo.

JakeRI

Reaction score
let me put it this way, cause i have used a strat for metal before.

does a fender guitar belong as second guitar in an 8 string band?

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
yeah fender is good for iron maiden stuff. the point is im in an argument cause im an 8 string player and this dude might start playing with us and he said maybe use a six string fender. doesn't fit i fyou ask me

And remember that the vast majority of Strat wielding metallers, have humbuckers in at least the bridge position, and some that look like single coils are not... just single space humuckers.

He might be able to get on with it with a good bridge pup and a serious string for the F# (.080, maybe)...

FlyingBanana

Reaction score
Taken from bullshitopedia.

Throughout his career, Murray has used and endorsed Marshall amplifiers and has used Fender Stratocasters almost exclusively. His black 1957 Strat (used from circa 1976-1990) now resides in a glass case at his home. Although he has been seen with the occasional Dean, Gibson, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson or acoustic, Murray's primary instrument has been a Stratocaster. He used the Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF in his strats before switching to Seymour Duncan's JB's and Hot Rails in the 1990s. He also occasionally uses Seymour Duncan sh-11 custom custom's.

Guitars

• 3 Fender Custom Shop Stratocasters with Floyd Rose Tremolo systems.

JakeRI

Reaction score
so i guess i lose my argument haha.

thanks for the thoughts guys, its made me a bit more tolerable

Reaction score
I used to have a Fender MIM Fat Strat, and i threw a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in that bad boy, that pickup really made the guitar sound a hell of alot fatter and thicker, and really brought it to life. It was awesome for metal. At the time, metal was all that i was interested in.

Yes, i think you can pull off some amazing metal tones with a Fender, pending you throw the right pickup in there.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, he could play some cool counterpoint one octave above, when you go onto the low strings... it all depends on how you two want to work it out.

:agreed: Exactly.

I think it would be cool, personally. I play in a band with a guy who plays a 6-string Dime. And my bass player generally plays a 4 string bass (although he plays my 5 for some stuff.) I play a 7. It all works cool.

')