Fender HSS Strat: Yay or nay?

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jenny

Reaction score
In my opinion - yay. Why? Maybe I am sentimental but it was my first guitar so I feel nostalgic about them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
It depends on the Strat. I really like those relic style custom shop and road worn necks over the gloss finished necks found on most Fenders.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
OMFG YOU GENIUS

And, like I said, since SSS Strats are routed HSH under the pickguard, you can buy a SSS or SSH and rewire it the other way easily enough.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's a pretty easy swap - I have two strats, but my first, a '97 American Standard, currently has a SSS pickguard with Suhr ML Standards and a single volume and tone, but it's a matter of just popping out the trem, unscrewing the pickguard, and desooldering the ground and hot and then I can just as quickly install a SSH with an Area 67 neck, 61 middle, and AT-1 humbucker in the bridge to completely change the sound of the guitar. Probably 10-15 minutes, including a bit of time to rebalance the trem since I have it set to float.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
And, like I said, since SSS Strats are routed HSH under the pickguard, you can buy a SSS or SSH and rewire it the other way easily enough.

If you're handy with a soldering iron it's a pretty easy swap - I have two strats, but my first, a '97 American Standard, currently has a SSS pickguard with Suhr ML Standards and a single volume and tone, but it's a matter of just popping out the trem, unscrewing the pickguard, and desooldering the ground and hot and then I can just as quickly install a SSH with an Area 67 neck, 61 middle, and AT-1 humbucker in the bridge to completely change the sound of the guitar. Probably 10-15 minutes, including a bit of time to rebalance the trem since I have it set to float.

F*cking SOLID advice.
I'm sold, I'm getting an SSS strat. You guys are absolute champs, thanks a HUGE bunch. Will be sure to post an NGD.

')