Fender Jazz bass for metal?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I use a Squier Deluxe Active IV bass as my main bass. Added in a set of Duncan QP's and its legit. I heard people talk shit about the QPs for years, but shit they nailed the sound I wanted.

Who's been shit talking QP's?!

ixlramp

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards 65-130 (with the 45 being scrapped) for the drop C tuning,
As i explained that will be dangerously high tension, but now you've posted what you like for EADG you can work from that.
2 strings at equal tension have gauges in the same ratio as their frequencies (derived from physics).
Frequency ratio for an interval is 2 ^ (s / 12) where 's' is semitones.
This is 1.122 for 2 semitones, 1.260 for 4 semitones.

E 110 -> C -4 = 139 (110 * 1.26)
A 90 -> G -2 = 101 (90 * 1.122)
D 70 -> C -2 = 79
G 55 -> F -2 = 62

So 65 85 100 130 will be too tight, 140s are rare so i suggest 60 80 100 135.
100 and 135 rarely exist in the same set so if you must use a 5 string set use 60 80 100 130. The low C will be much looser than the others though.

Sure your top string is a 55? Sets like this usually have a 50.
//////////////

Concerning your tension calculator results, 65 90 105 135 is too tight.
First use that site with your EADG 55 70 90 110 set entered to discover the per-string tensions you like, then choose gauges in the new tuning to acheive those per-string tensions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Are they "boutique or gtfo!" Over there?

A lot of them claim the QP is scooped and muddy as all fuck, has no clarity, and gets lost in a mix.

I mean they're dark, but they're not muddy. Shit my QP-loaded J can be tight as fuck.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
As a guitarist, allow me to state that Fender Jazz Basses are perfect. They look great and I have rarely played one I didn't love. They definitely do metal.
Glad I could answer that for you.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of them claim the QP is scooped and muddy as all fuck, has no clarity, and gets lost in a mix.

I mean they're dark, but they're not muddy. Shit my QP-loaded J can be tight as fuck.

LP2 was a qp-loaded jazz and the bass tones were awesome. I didnt know people ragged on them, but then Im not a bassist :lol:.

I had a VM jazz with dimarzio area J's for a while. Wouldnt mind that one back either.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
LP2 was a qp-loaded jazz and the bass tones were awesome. I didnt know people ragged on them, but then Im not a bassist :lol:.

I had a VM jazz with dimarzio area J's for a while. Wouldnt mind that one back either.

What's LP2? Dumb question. :lol:

I almost got the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set. Apparently they're kinda similar to Sadowksy pickups, which is the sound I was originally hunting down. But the QPs nailed it enough for me. :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What's LP2? Dumb question. :lol:

I almost got the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set. Apparently they're kinda similar to Sadowksy pickups, which is the sound I was originally hunting down. But the QPs nailed it enough for me. :lol:

The second Sparrows LP.

Pro tip: track bass through a jcm800 for layering dirty parts :metal:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The second Sparrows LP.

Pro tip: track bass through a jcm800 for layering dirty parts :metal:

When I had my POD HD500, I got a really nasty bass sound running a clean signal, and in parallel running a RAT pedal with a little bit of dirt with a VERY strong LPF to act like a Sansamp cab sim. Shit sounded gritty as fuck.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Doesn't Shavo from SOAD use a 5-string set minus the 4th string for Drop C? I think that would make the tension more even since the low B are usually loose while the high strings are tighter in comparison.

Tatu Aleksi

Reaction score
I love Jazz basses, mine's got those Quarter Pounders people are talking about in here. I think the most important thing for me to achieve the sound I want, is that I use an amp/amp sim that cuts a lot from the 300-600 Hz muddy area - leaves space in the mix for guitars, vocals, synths. I also use multiband saturation to get that clear low end and distorted high end, try it out!

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
If you put heavy strings on it you might need to adjust the truss rod/neck. I would probably use a "light" 5 string set (more like .126). Steel if you mean bizness.

Jazz should be fine. A big part of good br00tal bass tone is in the performance/da fingers.

Reaction score
Pretty new here, so excuse my ignorance on anything "obvious"

Been looking to record some bass tracks in Drop C, and was wondering what thoughts people had on using a Japanese Geddy Lee Jazz bass with a 34" scale length, as well as any ideas on the best strings to use. Getting a new bass isn't really an option for me at the moment, and the GL's skinny neck is ideal for my feeble guitarist hands.

Cheers!
Could work, i've done it before.

bkit13

Reaction score
Okay, so after a long while thinking about it and putting off forking over the best part of £30 for the strings, I finally went ahead and bought a set of Rotosound Drop Zone 65-130 strings. The next logical step is either having a new nut made, having it altered professionally, or doing it myself. I've cut guitar nuts before with a dedicated file, but does anyone have any ideas on how to do a bass one given the slots are much wider? It's a pretty low risk endeavour given that I can just have a new nut made so it's something I'm willing to try. Cheers :yesway:

stevexc

Reaction score
Honestly, I've always just sanded the sides of the nutslot with the string itself. It may not be the most refined way of doing it but it works. Just make sure you only widen the slots, not deepen them.

bkit13

Reaction score
Finally actually got around to organising this - to the various people that said that to only swap the low string for a heavier one, fair enough! I swapped it out for a 135 and tried it out in drop C, and it's been great, so I can totally vouch for that. It does look pretty funny though, its a pretty thicc boi o_O

IMG_5451 copy.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Cool! Yeah, it's a big gauge jump but a 5 string set with the 100 E removed works perfectly for drop C balanced tension