Fills!!

• Thread starter Bubba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I am not a drummer but something I find cool is mirroring (not necessarily at the same time) guitar fills, not just rhythmically but perhaps interpreting the melody or articulation too.

Bubba

Reaction score
Thanks man. I just for some reason cannot get my head away from quads haha. I mean theyre great but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing haha thanks

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Do you use Guitar Pro to tab drums at all? That might help to get used to writing different things if you can't stop playing quads :) Or just learn some tracks that use more interesting fills.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I'd also think removing your toms and trying to fill JUST with the snare might help. I expect you'd find yourself mixing up the rhythm and velocity a fair amount and creating some things that would translate well across the toms/kick to add some 'melody'.

oddcam

Reaction score
Check out the recent Unearth album - Darkness in the Light. Drummer Justin Foley has plenty of fills. Some are monsters, others are light and they all work to push the music forward or break it down, depending on the situation.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
fills?
listen to ulcerate

spikeydrummer has always been one of my favorites to watch
Spikeydrummer - YouTube

i've been playing for 6 years now, and my motto has been for the most part "do it untill you get it"
and watch as many drummers as you can, inspiration can help you to achieve all your results

the hittmann

Reaction score
Play to a metronome(should be doing this anyway). Then do some modulations with the meter using your normal quads, it will give it a different feel, then start to expand your fills using rudiments/different stickings and play it all around the kit. For instance
Paradiddles between right hand and right foot with a triplet feel. Just be as creative as possible and always make sure you are in time.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
You must have posted this right after you left my house Isaiah. :lol:
But yeah, listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about. :hbang:

All in all, i think all of your problems will be solved when you can actually play more than once a week.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Check out Peter Wildoer's drumming, Especially on the latest James Labrie album.

Fills galore.

Bubba

Reaction score
Thank you all haha this is all such great advice. I think my problem all along has been the fact that over the oast 3 years ive been playing ive never had my set at my house because of the noise r whatever. I finally got some mesh heads though so i can practice in my apartment haha and i will definitely use all yhis advice.

iPotato12

Reaction score
Try some unique cymbal mutes in your fills. Also, try displacing rythms around by 16th notes.
Also, I suggest that you break down your drumset into a 3 piece. It really makes you expand on creativity. Look up Matt Halpern, he uses a 3 piece and does some really interesting stuff.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Learn a song that is within your ability to play. This is one of the first songs I learned on drums.

And then spice up the same song after getting comfortable with it, like this.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
One thing that you might find really helpful is applying simple rudiment ideas to your playing between your floor and snare.
For example if we take a paradiddle (RLRRLRLL) play the L hits on your snare and the R hits on your floor, from you can expand those concepts to imply odd time rhythms.
My current favourite is RLLRLRLLRLRL but jumping between the floor and snare with the R hits.

Transcribing is always a great way to expand your fills etc, that's what I always do when I hear a fill I like.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Try to use every part of kit for fills, like rides etc.
Or limit yourself to few components.
Try some youtube videos like

and

')