Film scoring?

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
Hey peebolz,

I know this is a kinda strange place to ask this, but this is the only forum I am registered on (cause all the others suck :) ) but anyway,
I am really interested in film scoring, and was wondering if any of you guys were to?
If you are, do you have any advice?
Also wondering if anyone knows where i could find some movie clips sans music, so i could practice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt-Platt

Reaction score
I have delved into it a tiny bit but its one of those things that i find hard to do. yet when i do have a pop at it i use logic pro 8 and a midi controller to trigger the es24 synth on it. I think if you buy the apple pro training book on logic pro 8 you get a disk with it with lesson content and movie clips with it and its a kind of like walkthrough/idiots guide to it. i would maybe suggest taking a couple videos from youtube and using them to start off with, (the name of the program to do this has slipped my mind) i think the first "movie" i composed for was the opening theme montage for star trek, its real easy cause it isnt too long and you dont really have to abide by any detailed changes in the scene. hope that maybe helps a little.

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
I´m a big fan of movie score myself :)
I think the most important thing to start is to learn piano, at least the basis.
Most of great composer are not even good pianists (Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman), but you need to understand your keyboard in order to express yourself with it.
Then you have to find some good VST instruments. It´s sad to say, but your work will be worthless if you don´t have the sound that goes with it. It´s the fundamental element about movie score.
I wouldn´t recommend you to start straight with composing on a movie clip. First you have to focus on how to create feelings through the sound: which instrument for which feeling, which purpose, how to harmonize, how to create nuances, etc.. You can find books on this topic, althought they are most of the time quite expensive.
You can also pick a movie soundtrack that you like and start to work with it. This is the best way to learn while practicing. Like if you actually learn a song that you like on the guitar. It brings you new elements to work on and new perspectives.
When you are familiar with all that, try to find some clips where there is different kind of feelings, and see what you can bring to the picture to make it stronger.
I´m working myself on movie scoring, althought my goal is to bring such elements in the music I make, which is not for movies :D

Origins

Not banned
Reaction score
they are pretty good keyboard players man.

+1

Are you kidding? :D
I´ve read quite much about them, and they are not really good keyboard players. But they have a lot of creativity ;)
Oh and you want to see Hans Zimmer playing the guitar? :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
maybe they are like me then in that I'm much better at writing music than I am at playing it :lol:

')