Final Mix: How does it sound?

• Thread starter DropTheSun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DropTheSun

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/new-track-all-systems-down-final-mix[/SC]

Ok guys!
Here is my latest song, that i wrote, recorded and mixed. Now i'd like to hear your opinions of the song and the mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Hey dude! The mix sounds really clean and well balanced. That's the positive, but it's almost a bit too clean for my taste. The bass guitar could be a bit more dominant and the drums don't really punch as much as I'd like, try to work on that a little.

It's a little sterile, but many seem to like that type of mix so I'm stating my opinion. Good work man.

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Thanks man!
It's great, when someone else listens your track and founds something that you haven't notice.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
I'm listening on some KRK monitors and it seems really bass heavy to me, those little ambient leads are too high in the mix IMO as well. If I were you i'd boost the low mids on your guitars, cut some sub bass from the bass guitar and some mids and bring the volume of the bass down. What did you use to mix?

Your drums are pretty solid, just might need a touch more compression to get them to really punch

Dalcan

Reaction score
I'm listening on some KRK monitors and it seems really bass heavy to me, those little ambient leads are too high in the mix IMO as well. If I were you i'd boost the low mids on your guitars, cut some sub bass from the bass guitar and some mids and bring the volume of the bass down. What did you use to mix?

Your drums are pretty solid, just might need a touch more compression to get them to really punch

All of this while listening on headphones.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
Lower bass gtr, lower synth and clean ambient leads.

Other than that, sounds good!

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
I personally love that bass heavy tone, as long as it doesn't muddy up the rest. And in this mix I think it's pretty tolerable. :p

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help. I appreciate it!
I'll be doing some fine tuning and come back with new mix after that.

Cheers!

DropTheSun

Reaction score

col

blah.
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good! Personally I'd like a brighter mix with a high shelf >10kHz either on the rhythm guitars or the cymbals to bring some airy feel to it.

DropTheSun

Reaction score

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
The link in the OP has been updated with new mix.

I did all the suggested fine tunings, that i got from you guys. To me the end result sounds far better now. So, that everyone can compare the changes i uploaded the old mix and the new mix in my dropbox. Take a listen and let me know, what do you think?

BEFORE:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25064384/Väliaikaiset/All Systems Down BEFORE.mp3

AFTER:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25064384/Väliaikaiset/All Systems Down AFTER.mp3
Much better man! I agree with col, i'd add a slight 10kHZ shelf just to open up the mix a little, those clean leads are still too loud in the mix for me personally, but overall it's sounding good.

Sebazz1998

Reaction score
I think that the mix sounds a bit mushed. Like its not bright enough. Try boosting around 1.5k on the guitars a couple of DBs or raising the high end on the cymbals around 8-10kish. And maybe raising the kick a bit because it sounds great. And lowering the ambient cleans a bit. I love the composition though.

gamber

Reaction score
still think the ambient guitar is way to loud, also your snare sounds way to compressed and flat. Through some verb on that nice comp though brah

DropTheSun

Reaction score
Thank again guys for your help!

I'll check the mix again with fresh ears and try to add some brightness to it and take a look at the ambient sounds and snare too. I'll update the thread, when i have a new mix to offer.

But today i'm going to see Karnivool live, so there will be more beer involved today, than mixing.

Cheers!

')