Finally done chasing tone. :)

• Thread starter Curt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Congrats, I know how impossible it seems to find that "tone" you're looking for.. I feel like ive spent 5 years searching and am still nowhere near it =/

Im curious though; (and disclaimer: Im not one of those Axe-FX fanboys wondering how you can't possibly drink the koolaid and conform to being a Fractal drone) What about the Axe-FX didnt feel right to you? Was it the annoying tweaking required? was it tonally inferior to the Roadster? Or did you just not want a rack and wanted a real head??

I definitely understand why someone would not want a modeller, especially if you only require one type of tone and want it to be the BEST tone rather than 95% there, or because its a pain in the ass for tweaking.. but im just curious if there was any other reasons for preferring a Roadster over it..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Thanks, man.

Now I can spend more time actually playing guitar than turning knobs or buying new amps. :lol:

Koop

Reaction score
Im with you about the Roadster man :yesway:

The Roadster is my second tube amp (I had a single recto before). The Roadster is so juicy and defined... I totally understand what your saying about the doubts. When I'm away from my amp I look at different amps and pickups and start to want those things, but after playing through my rig again, I realize I wouldn't change much in my rig.

My Roadster is going through a Port City 212 with WGS Retro 30's and holy shit does it ever sound amazing. I used to go through a Mesa 2x12 which was alright, but the Port City really opened up the amp and let me hear these frequencies I wasn't hearing with the Mesa 2x12.

For my guitar I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in the bridge and a Mule in the neck, tuned to C# standard. Sounds fucking massive!

Im using JJ KT77's in my Roadster which sound pretty awesome too

Curt

Reaction score
Congrats, I know how impossible it seems to find that "tone" you're looking for.. I feel like ive spent 5 years searching and am still nowhere near it =/

Im curious though; (and disclaimer: Im not one of those Axe-FX fanboys wondering how you can't possibly drink the koolaid and conform to being a Fractal drone) What about the Axe-FX didnt feel right to you? Was it the annoying tweaking required? was it tonally inferior to the Roadster? Or did you just not want a rack and wanted a real head??

I definitely understand why someone would not want a modeller, especially if you only require one type of tone and want it to be the BEST tone rather than 95% there, or because its a pain in the ass for tweaking.. but im just curious if there was any other reasons for preferring a Roadster over it..

Oh, it is 100% because of the tweaking factor. I have heard AMAZING tones out of those, and I had a recto, 5150, and Diezel patch that I loved, but they were ones that I picked up from people over at fractal audio.

I do suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that I like the classic head+cab+pedalboard look too. regardless that it's a bit heavier of a rig to haul. :lol:

I'd say the Axe-Fx is DEFINITELY on par with the roadster tonally, just not in my hands. :yesway:

Im with you about the Roadster man :yesway:

The Roadster is my second tube amp (I had a single recto before). The Roadster is so juicy and defined... I totally understand what your saying about the doubts. When I'm away from my amp I look at different amps and pickups and start to want those things, but after playing through my rig again, I realize I wouldn't change much in my rig.

My Roadster is going through a Port City 212 with WGS Retro 30's and holy shit does it ever sound amazing. I used to go through a Mesa 2x12 which was alright, but the Port City really opened up the amp and let me hear these frequencies I wasn't hearing with the Mesa 2x12.

For my guitar I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Studio with a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in the bridge and a Mule in the neck, tuned to C# standard. Sounds fucking massive!

Im using JJ KT77's in my Roadster which sound pretty awesome too

How much to those port city cabs run? I hear so much good about those that I may pick one up eventually to run ALONG with my roadster cab.

And my main guitar is an old Crate Electra LP copy that actually feels about as good as my old edwards LP copy. which has nailbombs in it, so I high five for similar rigs! :metal:

Reaction score
Yeah, those are the settings I use around the 11:00 volume.

IMO, they work great for low volume stuff too. maybe a tad more honky than desired, so just roll back the mids the slightest bit and up the gain a tad and it should be great for low volume.

Yeah you need to make up for that V shape you start getting when you go loud.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I just felt like I nearly finished my tone chase today too! I messed with my knobs a little on my pedals and my Carvin Legacy and my tone is about 90% there. I can do Vai, modded marshall, satch, mr fastfingers, SRV, Zappa and Gilbert (need to dial my gilbert better) The only tone I can't get out of it is a mesa mark 2 tone. I can get slightly close but its not the same.

I'm hoping to upgrade the tranny and choke on the amp to get some more complexity and possibly in a year maybe an axe-fx 2 for more versitility. Life is good when you don't lust all guitar amps that you'll never afford =P

Curt

Reaction score
The axe fx is a wonderful unit, my thing is that I sucked at tweaking it, I don't LIKE tweaking all that much, honestly... so a normal amp head+cab setup works better for me.

That, and I don't really need anything else but the staple of my sound, and that is the recto tone. Which is something that I never thought i'd be saying, but by god, I love this amp. :lol:

DeadSharrk

Reaction score
Currently I have a rough sketch of the metal sound I want.
I just need to tinker with my guitar and get that right (minor tweaking with pickups, string guages ect), I desperately need a new amp (I'm thinking something along the line of a Laney) and I just need a delay, tuner, noise gate and EQ.

I really like rig building. The amp I want for metal also suits my other psychoblues project where I use a Big Muff and other weird effects.

Can't wait :D

Curt

Reaction score
You're well on your path, man!

That's how it started for me, I tinkered with my other gear, got what I liked there, then went with the amp search.

I'm lucky that the sound in my head can be 100% replicated by any recto, so if I ever have to buy another head, or have to rent a head for a gig due to my roadster being at a tech for something, I know what to buy/rent and how to set it up. :)

I know people who are practically screwed on the buying new end of things because their go to tone comes from something modded, or out of production...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I almost listed my Roadster, I just could not get what I wanted out of it for rock. Now it's singing :yesway:.

I have the masters up and the output down from where I used to have it and it seems to prefer that setup. Since it's a preamp-focused style amp, I decided to give the preamp more juice.

sicstringzen

Reaction score
I love the concept of being done chasing tone :p we all dream about it, every once in a while you think you've reached the end of the road, but give it a few months haha.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You're well on your path, man!

That's how it started for me, I tinkered with my other gear, got what I liked there, then went with the amp search.

I'm lucky that the sound in my head can be 100% replicated by any recto, so if I ever have to buy another head, or have to rent a head for a gig due to my roadster being at a tech for something, I know what to buy/rent and how to set it up. :)

I know people who are practically screwed on the buying new end of things because their go to tone comes from something modded, or out of production...

Any single rec won't replicate it lol

Curt

Reaction score
Any single rec won't replicate it lol

I meant to say "any dual recto"
:p

maybe not 100% exact, but it will get close enough that I won't mind.

I don't really care for the single recto much. it is a decent amp, but I just prefer the headroom of the dual. ANNNDDD the versatility of the roadster. :p

hevechvy

Reaction score
i love the sounds i get out of my dsl 100. it's got mid cuts, deep boost, if i want it. i can get any marshall sound i want and with wampler and mad professor pedals, i can get heavy/mesa type sounds. better than a mesa, :). i only use true bypass. nothing modeled. tried it, didn't like it. not enough punch and presence. it didn't sound like live music. the analog pedals work great with my tube amps. both are analog. thought i needed lots of different amps. but, a good clean channel on a tube amp with lots of true bypass pedals are the total shit, man !!

Curt

Reaction score
i love the sounds i get out of my dsl 100. it's got mid cuts, deep boost, if i want it. i can get any marshall sound i want and with wampler and mad professor pedals, i can get heavy/mesa type sounds. better than a mesa, :). i only use true bypass. nothing modeled. tried it, didn't like it. not enough punch and presence. it didn't sound like live music. the analog pedals work great with my tube amps. both are analog. thought i needed lots of different amps. but, a good clean channel on a tube amp with lots of true bypass pedals are the total shit, man !!

I do find it quite impossible to get mesa type sounds to be near as good from anything but a mesa. :p

but, hey! whatever works for you, man. ;)

')