Finally got a 8string, need help finding some good scales and practice ideas

ktaylorm13

Reaction score
Hey guys, i finally was able to score my RG8L (being lefty sucks). I'm what alot of people on here seem to call a "Tosin Fanboy" so i do plan on putting it in his low E tuning. But until those strings i ordered arrive in just in the standard tuning (Fsharp,B,E and so forth) i want to learn to work this two strings into my playing. Do you guys have any good places to find scales? or have you guys made any? any ideas on how I can work this into my playing more would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on songs to check out and learn would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
This is a tough question to answer; it's kind of a subjective thing.

What scales do you know already? Major and Minor are the backbone of all music, and they're vital to understand if you want to move forward with any kind of musical understanding. If you don't know those, I'd start there.

Really, the additional strings don't change anything as far as scales are concerned. If you know any scales from playing 6 or 7, just transpose the starting note down to your B or F# and go to town. The only difference will be if you're playing multi-octave scales that would have spanned the G-B gap on the high strings - that will affect the fingering if you begin the scale on a lower string for obvious reasons.

As for songs to practice on, the last two Deftones albums are great beginner level songs for 7 and 8 string players. Steph writes some simple, but powerful riffs that give you some great B and F# usage.

Rocket Skates can be played without using the F# string. Command/Control makes great use of both the F# and B.

Hope that helps!

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
when I got my first 8 I preceded to learn all of After the Burial's material. fun stuff to play, that's for sure. they are in F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb though.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Learn your intervals and you'll figure out how to extend your scales down to those strings.

patata

7 heaven
Reaction score
Danza would be a cool band to play.Maybe Meshuggah if you're into them.Glass cloud if you're into weird tunings.Drake Equation seems to be cool.

That's for practise.

For scales I can't help you.Sorry.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Danza would be a cool band to play.Maybe Meshuggah if you're into them.Glass cloud if you're into weird tunings.

Danza's tuning is pretty f'n weird too.

I tune my 8's with a low E and Drop A. The patterns are all the same so I just practice do scales as I would on the E and A of a 6er (if that makes sense). For other bands stuff to play the Deftones have some easy but fun stuff, newer Fear Factory, and, as already mentioned, After The Burial.

What benefitted me most with my 8 was just writing. I approached it as a completely different instrument and starting writing riffs and songs first. But then again, I don't really like playing other peoples stuff a whole lot anyway.

ktaylorm13

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'll work on some deftones and stuff! i have learned with working on it that the scales extend down to the lower strings alot more naturally then I first anticipated

7stg

Reaction score
I find it is best to start playing in a key and playing around with it. Oh, I have lots of scales and chords, see link in sig.