Finally got Studio Monitors!

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Just got the second one, got home, hooked them up and have been playing about with them! These things are cool, I basically got a pair of Alesis 820 DSP's which were on sale at soundcontrol, I had to go through a month's hassle, but they are definately worth it!

So seeing as these are speakers it's not that exciting eh? Wrong! As the name implies, they have a nifty built in DSP 4 band parametric EQ, controllable from the PC :D Which is awesome! I'll be leaving them on the flat EQ, but the "emulations" of things like NS10's is very cool.

One bad thing, but only for the people upstairs, is that are quite loud...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Emulation, eh? Sounds interesting... what other model presets have they done?

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Oh neat, it can make them sound like shit? :lol:

Just kidding. That's actually a neat feature. I'm planning on picking up a set of these from my work some day:

:lol: They come with about 8 factory presets, and 8 user programmable ones, the presets that come preloaded are:
Preset 1 Flat Flat frequency response (no EQ).
Preset 2 Hi-Fi (Smile) A pleasant Hi-Fi listening curve in the Fletcher Munson vein
Preset 3 White Cone An emulation of the ubiquitous black monitor
Preset 4 Faux Finnish Modeled after an expensive near-field reference monitor
Preset 5 Studio Cube An imitation of the “worst case mix check” brown monitors
Preset 6 Boom Box Sounds like a big resonating boom box from the ‘80s.
Preset 7 BBC Dip A slight depression in 1kHz to 3kHz range, creating a more distant and relaxed sound.
Preset 8 80 Hz High Pass Removes rumble.
User 1 Warmth Cuts some highs, boosts some lows, generally warms up the sound.
User 2 Bass Boost Works as advertised.
User 3 Bass Cut Works as advertised.
User 4 Treble Boost Works as advertised.
User 5 Treble Cut Works as advertised.
User 6 AM Radio Recreates the frequency response of AM radio.
User 7 Narrow It takes true genius to make speakers this good sound this bad.
User 8 Portable Radio An imitation of the extremely narrow frequency response of a tiny speaker

Overall I am pleased, I'll be using them on flat, but they do have interesting applications, and I can see myself just using some of these "charicaturised" presets for mix testing. I mean, it made sense to get these instead of the non controllable ones as the price difference was negligable...

Latest posts