Finally Made Some Progress On The Genesis

• Thread starter zw470
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zw470

Reaction score
I still need to wire it and source some short, black humbucker mounting screws for the middle pickup, but overall I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

F183A5C1-1212-4FCD-9254-E2D725DC4E38.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Congrats, I just finished a Genesis JEM 777DY tribute project. Need to take some pics.

What pickups/strings did you use? I started with 9.5-46, but decided nah, this guitar needs 9-42 (NYXL) and BAM, instant mojo! I did the O.G
Evo set. :cheers:

pahulkster

Reaction score
Congrats, I just finished a Genesis JEM 777DY tribute project. Need to take some pics.

What pickups/strings did you use? I started with 9.5-46, but decided nah, this guitar needs 9-42 (NYXL) and BAM, instant mojo! I did the O.G
Evo set. :cheers:
I really really need to do this. Do anything with the inlays?

Marked Man

Reaction score
Here's my Genesis JEM 777DY. :wub3:

j1.jpg

And yes, I have a suitably flowery custom strap on reverb for it. I actually bought the strap years ago for my white Jackson Soloist, but somehow it didn't quite seem right for that guitar. Finally found a guitar to match it!

I did the O.G. Evo set and am very happy with it. Biggest surprise is how crystalline #2 and #4 are for cleans, NICE glass man! The Evo single is very bright and thin by itself, but I don't think Mr. Vai uses it much anyway. Like me, he uses middle singles mostly as a way to get cool #2/4 when using high powered HBs. The Evo bridge does exactly what I wanted for this guitar's mission to be a Shred-o-matic. I've often heard the Evo Neck described as very punchy, which can take away some from cleans unless you back off the volume, and I agree, but it has such a big, beautiful PHAT lead tone, which again, fits the Shred-o-matic.

This is my first JEM after having an original Universe for 20+ yrs. It truly is essential to have both and now I can see myself getting more JEMs, maybe an original if they ever come back to Earth. I've always dug the Blue FP and White Vine models, and wouldn't mind another DY but with a green PAF Pro set (cost More = More). Looking forward to eventually having the Gravity Storms and PAF Pros as another color to paint with. Am I brainwashed to perceive brightly colored pickups as having more mojo, even though in reality they sound just like plain ones? Kind of. :agreed:

My standard issue set is NYXL 10-46, but I'm using 9-42 for this one, may consider NYXL 9-46 or 9.5-44 later, but I'm not going to a full 10 set. This guitar needs to be extra speedy, sparkly, and effortless to play.

I did buy some high quality disappearing Pyramid inlays from a vendor in Spain, although I'm not sure if I'll bother trying to use them unless my tech can do something clever at the 24th fret. At a minimum, they can be used as decals for my case or something else.

Last edited:
')