Finger Problems :o

• Thread starter vampiregenocide
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I've been writing a lot of new stuff for my upcoming band recently. My technique has gotten better and I'm getting back into the swing of things after a while of not playing, but its damaging my index finger. The skin at the base of the nail is wearing away, and the skin has turned smooth like a burn. I think its basically the angle of my picking means that I very slightly graze the strings with my finger. It doesn't do anything sound-wise, but after prolonged playing it starts to make me cringe a bit lol. I've never had this problem before, maybe its just my change in style?

Anyone had this problem? I thought about plasters but they would just get in the way damn things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
EDIT: wow, my advice was for the wrong hand.

Short and simple: learn to hold the pick correctly. Use the google video search and find the Guthrie Govan video on picking; he'll show you how to hold it.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
EDIT: wow, my advice was for the wrong hand.

Short and simple: learn to hold the pick correctly. Use the google video search and find the Guthrie Govan video on picking; he'll show you how to hold it.

I don't think its the way I'm holding the pick, I think its my angle of attack. I've been playing for 4 years or so and I've never really had this problem before. As I said I think its my change in style to teh more agressive picking etc. I think a bit of tape over my finger might work, what you think?

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd learn to back off from the tip of the pick or not pick so deep. It'll save you a lot of worry later to adjust you technique now.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I use sharps quite a lot and I haven't been ableto get hold of any that might be it tbh

I tried some tape on my finger and that helps, i just need some with more grip like electrical tape

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
I don't think its the way I'm holding the pick, I think its my angle of attack. I've been playing for 4 years or so and I've never really had this problem before. As I said I think its my change in style to teh more agressive picking etc. I think a bit of tape over my finger might work, what you think?

Sorry, I mean general pick holding/angling/gripping, and other technique, but still, my answer is, well:

If it were me, I'd learn to back off from the tip of the pick or not pick so deep. It'll save you a lot of worry later to adjust you technique now.

:yesway:

I'm a fairly big proponent of learning to do this stuff properly (i.e. so you don't screw yourself up), so I'm going to advise adjusting your technique.

')