First 7 or 8 string?

• Thread starter zjb7777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zjb7777

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new guitar and i want to go extended range. The most i can do is about $500. I don't mind buying used, but i want something with a thin neck, i can't stand the neck on my Schecter 6 string I'm trying to sell. My Jackson v has one of the loveliest necks I've ever played, however. Not w fan of trems. I would prefer to stay away from Schecter, but i would like to know what you guys think would be a good choice for my price range? Don't worry about the transition period between 6 and 7 or 8 because i already have played both quite a bit, i just don't own one. I think a good 7 would be the Jackson JS22-7 maple fretboard or the Dean C750X as they would allow for modifications because the price is low. For an 8 string im thinking maybe the Ibanez RG8 or BC Rich Villain Escape 8. I havent looked into much used though. What do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zjb7777

Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with an RG8 if you're looking for a mod platform, since you seem to love the thinner necks.

As far as 7s go, I heard that the JS is a good bang for buck guitar for a mod platform but I've never played one.

Here's a filtered MF search.. Only a few results..
Extended Range Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Some pretty solid choices there. Yeah, if i go the 8 string route, there aren't many other options in my range other than the RG8. As for 7s, i love Jacksons so that may put me a little over the edge towards getting that one. The Ibanez RG7421 seems promising too, if i can find it a lil cheaper than $400 somewhere. Active EMGs are my mainstay, so i want something i can upgrade, to that. The LTD v for $500 with EMGs looks sick as hell, but i prefer the shape of my Rhoads V. I can get a used LTD SC208 for $250, im wondering if maybe that'd be a really solid choice too. Hmm, thanks for the link though!

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Have you considered rondo music's site? Agiles are very nice too
I own a Douglas 7 string... And have owned an agile 8... Nice guits for the $$... Just throwing those ideas in the hat for ya...
Rondo Music Home Page

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Heck out GC used, too. You can buy it, try it, and return it locally. (Check on the return part - I'm not 100% on that). Most ERGs are in good shape when you buy used because a LOT of people buy them to see if they like them, decide they don't get along with them, and then return with very little wear and tear.

JSanta

Reaction score
Heck out GC used, too. You can buy it, try it, and return it locally. (Check on the return part - I'm not 100% on that). Most ERGs are in good shape when you buy used because a LOT of people buy them to see if they like them, decide they don't get along with them, and then return with very little wear and tear.

You can return locally, I've done it many times when a product arrived that was either not as advertised or if I didn't mesh with it.

zjb7777

Reaction score
You can return locally, I've done it many times when a product arrived that was either not as advertised or if I didn't mesh with it.

I may try that cause there's a used RG8 for $300 in 'excellent' condition (but who even knows what that means anymore) and i think she's calling my name. But that Jackson JS-22 7 with the maple fretboard. If anyone has any experience with that guitar, give or take the maple fb, chime in please! It looks like it'd be amazing for modding. $170 on MF, gives me some EMGs and tuners. Plus i really like Jackson guitars. But idk if the step up to the JS 32 7 (or 8) is worth the extra $$.

Sean1197

Reaction score
I may try that cause there's a used RG8 for $300 in 'excellent' condition (but who even knows what that means anymore) and i think she's calling my name. But that Jackson JS-22 7 with the maple fretboard. If anyone has any experience with that guitar, give or take the maple fb, chime in please! It looks like it'd be amazing for modding. $170 on MF, gives me some EMGs and tuners. Plus i really like Jackson guitars. But idk if the step up to the JS 32 7 (or 8) is worth the extra $$.

I have a js22-7 and i love it tbh. Thing plays like a dream and the stock pickups arnt bad at all. I would go for it tbh or a soloist. 8 string wise get the js32-8

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score

My used RG8 is being delivered today!! Woot woot!!
Huge score as i paid $199. But i dont care if the asthetics are iffy... As long as the functionality and sound is perfect.

zjb7777

Reaction score
My used RG8 is being delivered today!! Woot woot!!
Huge score as i paid $199. But i dont care if the asthetics are iffy... As long as the functionality and sound is perfect.

Yeah, im more OCD 😂 i actually just brought home a Schecter C8 Deluxe after playing it in store for an hour and a half. I know i didn't want to go schecter but this actually plays and looks really nice. I'm not big on satin though, so my first mod will me buffing it out. I don't have a whole lot of money atm, is it possible to use the Seymour Duncan BMP in an 8 string?

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Yeah, im more OCD 😂 i actually just brought home a Schecter C8 Deluxe after playing it in store for an hour and a half. I know i didn't want to go schecter but this actually plays and looks really nice. I'm not big on satin though, so my first mod will me buffing it out. I don't have a whole lot of money atm, is it possible to use the Seymour Duncan BMP in an 8 string?

I dont see why not... The passives need to have the 4 wire cable... But theyre sprecifically made to help those of us who can afford the active route...

zjb7777

Reaction score
I dont see why not... The passives need to have the 4 wire cable... But theyre sprecifically made to help those of us who can afford the active route...

I doubt they are, however I've converted a 2 conductor to 4 conductor before, it's not a big deal

')