First 7 string build

• Thread starter Littledidweknow
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working on my first build for a while now and thought I would share what I have going on.

25.5" scale
Neck thru body
Neck: 5 piece Maple/Rosewood
Body: Basswood/Walnut
Fretboard: Ebony 16" radius
Finish: Natural Dark Brown stain and oil
Pickups: Bareknuckle Aftermath 7s (undecided on cover finish)
Black Hardware
Fixed Bridge

These are after the rough cuts and first round of shaping towards the final product.
DSCN0396-1.jpg

DSCN0397-1.jpg

DSCN0395.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Very nice! Reminds me of the Decibel shape though with a less crappy headstock... I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product with the stain.... I'm a huge sucker for natural finishes. Can you post pics of the neck joint?

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I feel like I did so much studying before starting this built that everything is going just as I had hoped. Ill get a couple pictures of the scarf joint tomorrow. Next step for me is installing the truss rod and pressing the fret board. Then shaping the neck profile out, which I am really looking forward to.

Reaction score
And as far as styling goes, I'm a big fan of the Peavey V-Type haha. But they only come in a 6 string version. So this is my kind of spiced up version in a 7.

Reaction score
Today I shaped the fretboard and neck level and to my desired width. Next step is pressing the walnut and basswood wings on. Took a couple cell phone pics since my camera battery is dead, got one of the scarf joint as well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reaction score
The joint actually matches up perfect, the thickness cut I made to this the headstock kinda makes it look off from that angle haha.

Djentai

lurk lord
Reaction score
I really like the four dark strips. it really emphasizes something cool. or i'm just a sucker for dark wood stripes.

Reaction score
I have pressed on the walnut stripes, I take some pictures after work today. Its nice to see it all coming together now. Im always a sucker for dark stripes as well, so I knew I wanted some Walnut somewhere haha.

The only part I'm nervous about is the binding. Someone give me some tips for a first attempt at binding!

Reaction score
I started to shape the neck and pockets some. Just rasping out the general profile still. Thought I would share a little progress.

Oldcamera232.jpg

Oldcamera230.jpg

Oldcamera233.jpg

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
Looks good dude! I love the pieces in between the wings instead of the neck, That looks interesting!

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Watching pics of neck carving makes me wish I wasn't so sick. It's just so much fun!

')