First 7 String, pulling the trigger late March

• Thread starter kootenay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kootenay

Reaction score
I am probably guilty of a few of these types of threads and for that I apologize, but it's serious this time as I have $$. I basically ebay'd bunch of crap from around my house I haven't used in like 6-7 years and made about $1000CDN so like $8USD. My last Paypal will clear on the 21st and then its go time.

So I have been doing lots of reading here on the forums and while I have never played or held a 7 string mind you, I am pretty set on the Jackson SLATHX-M 3-7 as my first 7 string. It will be around $990 shipped to my door. This guitar hits a ton of what I think I want, hipshot style bridge, slimmer neck without being super tiny, good pickups, neck thru, etc. Only real down side I see is the plastic nut, which is like a $10 fix for a TUSQ.

So I guess my question is, for $1000CDN is there something else I should consider before committing to this plan? I do keep my eye on this FS threads as well, but I am still quite far away from being able to post a WTB. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hbett

Reaction score
How long have you been playing/ what kind of music do you play/ what other guitars do you own and like?

kootenay

Reaction score
I have been playing for 20 years give or take a year. I currently own a Epi Les Paul, and a Squire Strat, but have owned a Gibson SG (neck was too chunky) and a Fender Jag (just fell out of love with it). As far what I play, just about everything, to be honest, but I want the 7 string to fill on the whole for progy metal type stuff, etc.

Hbett

Reaction score
This seems like a good choice, but I never recommend buying a guitar without having played at least something with a very similar neck profile and scale. See if there are any Jacksons at a local store that you can try out, or anything with a 26.5" scale. You might learn that you hate it, and avoid paying almost a grand to do so.

kootenay

Reaction score
This seems like a good choice, but I never recommend buying a guitar without having played at least something with a very similar neck profile and scale. See if there are any Jacksons at a local store that you can try out, or anything with a 26.5" scale. You might learn that you hate it, and avoid paying almost a grand to do so.

Sadly I live in the middle of no where with one very small guitar store. The likely hood of me ever trying anything before I buy it is slim to none. I just have to base my decisions on reviews and suggestions from you guys and then just pull the trigger....haha

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
Except for the Strat, you have had a 24.75" scale Les Paul and a 24" scale Fender Jag.

Those are much shorter than the 26.5 - I agree that you should try and find *something* locally with a 26.5 scale to make sure you're going to get on with it.

Chances are you totally will, I really like longer scales personally, but it's something to bear in mind.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY recommend going with an RG7XXX from ibanez first. Or something around the $300-400 CDN.

Dropping a g-whiz on something you may not even like is quite the gamble.

Start small and if you like it and jive well.. The more expensive guitars will come. But if you don't.. The resale value is still pretty good and you have $$ left over

kootenay

Reaction score
I would HIGHLY recommend going with an RG7XXX from ibanez first. Or something around the $300-400 CDN.

Dropping a g-whiz on something you may not even like is quite the gamble.

Start small and if you like it and jive well.. The more expensive guitars will come. But if you don't.. The resale value is still pretty good and you have $$ left over

I have thought about this for sure, but the difference is like $300, from a RG7421 to the SLATHX. Which is what I would have to spend on the Ibanez for pickups and a new bridge if I really like it.

I totally here you guys on the scale length thing for sure, it is something I have considered for sure. I know I want a 7 for sure, I do play 25.5's all the time as my dad and brother both have a few, but never a 26.5. I feel like I will adjust to the extra 1 inch.

The other option is a used RG7XXX to test the waters as they seem to come up for cheap as dirt here and there.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I have thought about this for sure, but the difference is like $300, from a RG7421 to the SLATHX. Which is what I would have to spend on the Ibanez for pickups and a new bridge if I really like it.

I totally here you guys on the scale length thing for sure, it is something I have considered for sure. I know I want a 7 for sure, I do play 25.5's all the time as my dad and brother both have a few, but never a 26.5. I feel like I will adjust to the extra 1 inch.

The other option is a used RG7XXX to test the waters as they seem to come up for cheap as dirt here and there.

Well you surely wont be disappointed in the RG7 route. And i believe those are at 27"(?) scale... Not exactly sure... But in anycase, the extra scale length is so insignificant unless you have TRex arms... Its unnoticeable. And ive jumped from 25.5 to 28.625"!!

And if the platform is something you fancy... The the $$ spent to mod it out will be well justified! Try to find a 7321. Yes i know they can be hit or miss... But those are even cheaper especially if your just trying it out.

I will follow up saying im not a "brand snob"... Hell... My 7 is a Douglas SR70... But im not sure you can get those in Canada... You can search it if youd like... Rondo Music Home Page. they have Agiles which are excellent 7's as well.

Ive played Ibanez, Agile, Douglas, and Schecter 7's... just trying to give you a good start / info that wont leave your pocket empty!

Lasik124

Reaction score
For what its worth from someone who hasn't played this guitar(So perhaps nothing)

It seems like you get a great package for the price. Not many guitars will give you a nice set of Duncan's in that price range.

I doubt the extra inch will bother you, you may like it. You may not even notice it.

I would love to try one of these, and I love that green finish!

kootenay

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on an RG7321 with the 25.5" scale? May be able to grab one on the cheap, which then if I dig the 7's I'll have plenty of $$ for upgrades.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I had an RG7321 years ago. The stock pickups were rubbish. The setup out of the box was, well, not set up. Once I replaced the pickups, replaced the nut, and adjusted the neck and bridge, it was actually a nice guitar. Great, even, considering what they went for at the time.

The argument to spend a lot less in case you don't like it is countered with the fact that the less you spend, the more likely you'll get something that is simply lacking in workmanship.

If you can find something used for a fair price, you can flop your gear back onto eBay and mitigate almost all of your cost, except shipping. Or try it out at the store. Maybe you can arrange with a store to a deal where you will buy the guitar, but you insist on trying it first. :2c:

kootenay

Reaction score
I had an RG7321 years ago. The stock pickups were rubbish. The setup out of the box was, well, not set up. Once I replaced the pickups, replaced the nut, and adjusted the neck and bridge, it was actually a nice guitar. Great, even, considering what they went for at the time.

The argument to spend a lot less in case you don't like it is countered with the fact that the less you spend, the more likely you'll get something that is simply lacking in workmanship.

If you can find something used for a fair price, you can flop your gear back onto eBay and mitigate almost all of your cost, except shipping. Or try it out at the store. Maybe you can arrange with a store to a deal where you will buy the guitar, but you insist on trying it first. :2c:

I live in a town of 10k people with one music store and they blow. They won't even order anything without cash down, etc. I would love to try something first, but it seems like its not in the cards.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just looked up your town on a map, as I never heard of it. I hear you. I like in the biggest town in my area, and we don't have any music store. You've gotta drive to the state capital, and that shop is very small. Another hour away from there is a decent sized shop. I'm guessing you don't have any decent-sized shops within 2 hours drive, though...

If you go with Musicians Friend or similar, they usually have some sort of money back guarantee. Maybe some retailers in Canada honour that sort of return policy. In that case, get the guitar and play the living crap out of it, then return it if you decide you don't want it anymore.

kootenay

Reaction score
Just looked up your town on a map, as I never heard of it. I hear you. I like in the biggest town in my area, and we don't have any music store. You've gotta drive to the state capital, and that shop is very small. Another hour away from there is a decent sized shop. I'm guessing you don't have any decent-sized shops within 2 hours drive, though...

If you go with Musicians Friend or similar, they usually have some sort of money back guarantee. Maybe some retailers in Canada honour that sort of return policy. In that case, get the guitar and play the living crap out of it, then return it if you decide you don't want it anymore.

Yeah that was my plan basically...haha lamusic.ca has free shipping a a decent return policy. So if I hated it for some reason, back it goes. Maybe I'll just stay on track for the Jackson after all.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on an RG7321 with the 25.5" scale? May be able to grab one on the cheap, which then if I dig the 7's I'll have plenty of $$ for upgrades.

Love it! It was my first 7 string and since then I've purchased two Prestige 7's. I'm sure it will need a setup of course, but not hard to do.

I still play my 7321 and it has its own mojo just like the other ones I own. I eventually changed the pickups to Evo 7's and they sound great. While the Prestige's feel better for soloing and feel and what not, they for some reason can not re-create the heavy feel and sound my 7321 can for metal rhythm guitar. Of course it could just be the Evo's doing their charm, but hey they worked out great on such a cheap guitar! On a side note, I oddly enjoy the thicker neck feel it has compared to my prestige's as well.

It is a great guitar to mod and upgrade if you feel the need, although I never did besides the pups.

kootenay

Reaction score
Ok, further research has led me to think that I am better off with the 26.5 scale over the 25.5 as I know I will be tuning down to be able to learn covers of bands I am into and most those bands are playing 26.5 themselves. With that being said I am having a hell of a time finding 26.5 scale guitars with hipshot style bridges other than the Jacksons, the JS-22, JS-32, SLATHX and DKA all have 26.5 and a hipshot style bridge. I found a ton of Schecters that look nice, but all with toms.... like wtf? It's not like toms are crap or anything, I just find they irritate my hand after about an hour especially with heavy palm muting. So is it just me or are there others out there that I am just not seeing?

kootenay

Reaction score
So funny enough I decided to just meet myself halfway and grab a JS32-7 as I have the funds for that right now and it checks all my boxes aside from really good pickups, but try finding one in stock in Canada. Sometimes I hate being up here when it comes to trying to get your hands on ..... I bet if I was down south I would have it at my door tomorrow.

So far best I can find is 15 days shipping time.

Latest posts

')