First 7 string

• Thread starter jameskuik97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jameskuik97

jameskuik97
Reaction score
i just bought my first 7 string today. :hbang: never even played one before. it's an esp ltd. it's so beautiful i could't resist. i've been playing off and n for about 16 years. six string i mean. i've got quite a bit of original music. problem is most is written in drop d. after playing my 7 string earlier(which by the way i love the sound!) i realized 2 things. 1) i should have started on a 7 string. and 2) my music written in drop d may be rather difficult to play on a 7 string. if anybody ever incountered this problem i culd really use some advise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
:welcome:

You can drop the E string just like you would on a six string. Or you could drop the low B and raise the high B, and not play the high E. Or you could simply transpose everything?

You've got more range now than ever, so there should be no excuse to not play your old songs! :lol:

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I would go the transpose root, it should be a pretty simple change. Unless you rely heavily on the whole 1 finger power chord for simplicity it should not pose a playing challenge.

Reaction score
well congrats on your first 7 man, but everything original that I wrote on a 6 I just transposed exactly to a 7 to make it heavier and alot sicker. But in your case I would try it both ways, or try a new tuning or something.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Don't forget to take into account the key of which your material is sung. Perhaps the drop ~D suits your singers voice?

7 strings give a better range to singers... Especially the male voice. That seems to be forgotten round here as the main reason for 7's, IMO...

SpiritCrusher

Reaction score
you could do dropped drop tuning :idea:... like GDADGBE so drop 7th by 2 whole steps and the 6th by 1 whole step
i wonder how that would work?:hbang:

')