First 8 String

• Thread starter Skirvin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
Hey,
Only my second post on this forum, so go easy. I was just looking for your opinions on 8 string guitars. I am going to get an 8 string guitar, I was going to get a 7 but eventually I would want an 8 string so why not just jump in at the deep end. I have no intention of going lower than 8 in the foreseeable future but, who can tell. I'm currently in the process of researching, I have a few models in mind, but I was wondering if you could shed some light on the subject and maybe a throw in a few recommendations.

I live in Scotland and as a result there is a limited selection of brands I can obtain with my budget. My budget is £600 - £650 (about $920 - $1000). I would prefer a fixed bridge but a floyd rose is what I have currently so it's not a bad thing.

The 2 models I have looked at are the Ibanez RGA8-BK and the Agile Septor 828 MN. I haven't tried any out as of yet but I will only be able to try a select few as not many stores stock 8 strings here. The Agile is void of warranty as soon as it comes to the UK so that is a risk.

Any advice is much appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
RGA8 with a PU-swop and you should be set! the neck is cool, the stock PU's are garbage. mind that importing an agile leads to more costs due to the import taxes.

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
I'm would love to have the chance to try out an Agile, I have read a lot of really good things about them. Though, the risk involved and the tax would be a major down side.

On the plus side, I have no complaints with Ibanez. My mates mostly use Ibanez, and I do feel very comfortable on the neck (I did on the RG7321 I tried). I'll keep you posted when I manage to get my hands on my 8 string.

As for Pick-Ups, who make 8 string guitar pick ups? I know there are a range of EMG's (808's I think?). Do anyone else you know of make Pick Ups for 8 string guitars?

Also, slightly unrelated but, do you have a thread for people with 8 strings to post YouTube accounts or videos of their 8 strings/guitars?

Peteus

Reaction score
Lundgren, Bareknuckle are the main passive 8's and Seymour duncan has a 8 string pup which if it is anything like the seymour blackout 7 then that should be good. Their are a few more companies around who make them however from what I could tell they get very expensive.
I live in the UK and bought a agile it was very fast delivery and well produced. Tax was an issue however they sell cheap high quality cases for only £35 whcih should easily sure safe the arrival of your agile. If it helps the neck feels in between a scheter and a ibanez.

Skirvin

Skirvin'
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, which Agile model did you go for? I really like the natural wood Agile 8 string, Ash I think they called it.

From what I have seen, the cut away looks a bit better than the Ibanez RGA8-BK. How does the Agile sound? I presume it is passive pups as standard in the Agile? I have passives in my Jackson so I don't know anything else.

Is it just standard VAT you pay on the Guitar or did they really take you to the cleaners when you got yours imported?

I really liked the sound of the Bareknuckle pickups. I heard some in a Caparison, was really nice. Good to know they are an option.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advanced for the advice/help.

EDIT: I have read that it is 20% of the total value (including shipping) so about £140 if I was to buy the Agile.

Spooty

Reaction score
I'm in Scotland too and also looking to import a beautiful Agile Septor 8 and did a little bit of research and amateur maths to work out the Customs Tax + VAT.

It looks like the Duty to be paid on the guitars calls under a specific import category which is 3.2% of the total price of the item + shipping once converted into Pounds. Once this is calculated you then need to add on 17.5% of the total price for tax.

My rough calculation went as follows:

£526.36 was my total cost with shipping.

TC + 3.2% of TC = £543.20 (TCD)

TCD + 17.5% of TCD = £638.26

The only problem I saw was that there may be additional fees on the delivery from customs to your delivery address, however it looks like Rondo send via FedEx and it does not state what the additional charges would be.

Has anyone else ordered from here in the UK? What sort of import taxes did you suffer?

Reaction score
I'm in the Newcastle area and have ordered two guitars from Rondo in the past (Septor and Intrepid). On top of the price and shipping I paid around £110-120 in duty and taxes so you shouldn't have to pay much more than that (this was earlier this year). Go ahead and order, I haven't been disappointed. Great guitars for the price.

Beware though, the guitar will arrive with you and you'll think you've got away without being stung for duty/tax but those friendly people at Fed-Ex have paid them on your behalf and will bill you for it about 5 days later. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers.

Marc.

Spooty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Marc.

I'll definitely be ordering my guitar providing I can sell my mountain bike and some cheeky swine doesn't buy the one I want before then!

:djent:

Danxile

Reaction score
i have the exact agile interceptor pro 830 thats pictured in my avatar and ive posted many times on how it is hands down the best guitar ive ever played, and I'm an owner of 2 gibson les pauls, one of which is a custom. Nothing else really comes close and 6 strings feel more like toys to me than guitars. The only thing i can say is that the 30 inch scale is rather large and feels more like youre playing a bass rather than a guitar. I believe both the Ibby rga8 and rg2228 are 27 inch scale so if youre not used to playing baritone that may be a little easier. Agiles come in 25s 27s and 28s also but i opted for the 30 because i have big hands. Since you live in Europe, you may want to check out Ran guitars as they have added the 8 string option to their custom shop and you can virtually get any guitar shape you can think of, so if you want to wait a little bit and save up some more money, that may be a road to go down. I highly recommend Agile but Ibanez is also a great guitar company. It all comes down to what you want. :yesway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
My bias toward Ibanez guitars would lead me to say go w/ the RGA simply because I know those guitars and it seems that no matter how many strings it has, I always seem to feel at home on an RG.

Also, the voiding of the warranty on the Agile once you get it doesn't sound very good to me. Not that I think you'd need to use your warranty for any reason, but in the off chance that you did, you don't have that option.

LEWY7777777

Reaction score
Get a Jackson 8 string. ha ha ha :lol: oops I thought you said 10000 not 1000
But an Agile would be good. So would a Schecter ATX8 wich they have now at drumcityguitarland.com Its alot of guitar with a not as dark character as the hellraisers.

')