First 8 stringer? Help me out :)

Crunchy

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on sevenstring.org (decided to join after reading many helpful threads from here, you guys seem polite and experienced).

Anyway, down to business.

Im getting huge GAS for my first 8 string. I can pretty much afford any of the production 8 strings except the RGA2228 so recommend anything you like.

So my main contender is the new schecter omen 8, because ALL my guitars so far are mahogany and its getting boring :noplease: + that walnut satin finish is stunning. Im just worried this might be too cheap of a guitar to have decent quality, does it compare to the elite?. Is the 26.5 scale too short? (for low F :metal:).

Do I go with the omen?, is the RGA8 any good? what about Agiles? :idea:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
I would have a look at agiles 828 range if you want to tune down to F the extra long scale length will be helpful.

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on sevenstring.org (decided to join after reading many helpful threads from here, you guys seem polite and experienced).

Im getting huge GAS for my first 8 string. I can pretty much afford any of the production 8 strings except the RGA2228 so recommend anything you like.

So my main contender is the new schecter omen 8, because ALL my guitars so far are mahogany and its getting boring :noplease: + that walnut satin finish is stunning. Im just worried this might be too cheap of a guitar to have decent quality, does it compare to the elite?. Is the 26.5 scale too short? (for low F :metal:).

Try before you buy. Isn't there some place in England that stocks 8 strings? The Omen 8 is $400 here in the USA shipped to your door. Please tell me how you can make a guitar and ship it over here from China, mark it up to make a profit, ship it free to your house and have it not be like a First Act guitar you'd buy at Toys "R" Us? Its made in China and I'm guessing the pickups are garbage and the neck is like a half-sawn baseball bat just like the Omen 7 I played. In the least it would require another $200 for EMG's or SD Blackouts and even more if you went with BKP or Lundgrens. I don't think you'll be happy with an Omen 8.

I've got both an RGA8 and a RG2228 and I really like both of them. The RGA8 will need a pickup swap and that has been covered in this section ad nauseum. I know its not an 8 but I played a used Agile Interceptor 727 with a fake Floyd and EMG's. I liked everything about the guitar with the exception of the neck, it didn't feel right for me. I think I heard there isn't a warranty on Agile once its shipped out of the USA.

Another guitar to consider is a Guerilla. Seriously though, my advice and many other people advice here in multiple threads is find a nice used RG2228.

Alwballe

Reaction score
get an Agile 8string. no question. itll save you tons o cash and its more then decent quality

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
I bought an RGA8 out of curiosity and had full intentions to resell it because I thought it would be too much for me. Well, I kept it and haven't touched my 7-strings since it came in. It definitely needs a change in pickups though, so plan on that.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Its made in China and I'm guessing the pickups are garbage and the neck is like a half-sawn baseball bat just like the Omen 7 I played.

The necks on the Schecter 8s aren't nearly as thick as everyone says. I really liked the Hellraiser and Damien 8, but I thought the scales were too short.

My vote is Agile, for all the options you get, and the longer scales available. They're good guitars, too. If you decide you want to go with a shorter scale, I'd say Damien Elite 8. That guitar just felt great all around, it actually had probably my favourite 8 string neck yet. And you get EMGs stock for less than most production 8 strings.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Agiles are really good guitars. I had one of their first ones and it was great. For the tuning you're looking for you want to go with the 28.625" scale.

Crunchy

Reaction score
Try before you buy. Isn't there some place in England that stocks 8 strings?.

I'm sure there is, but not anywhere close to me. I found a place that had one in-stock (a 8 string hellraiser) and they sold it almost instantly before I got down to try it. They didn't seem interested in getting any more:ugh:.

The necks on the Schecter 8s aren't nearly as thick as everyone says. I really liked the Hellraiser and Damien 8, but I thought the scales were too short.

My vote is Agile, for all the options you get, and the longer scales available. They're good guitars, too. If you decide you want to go with a shorter scale, I'd say Damien Elite 8. That guitar just felt great all around, it actually had probably my favourite 8 string neck yet. And you get EMGs stock for less than most production 8 strings.

Thanks, It does seem the baseball bat thing is a bit of a myth. I was considering the Damien Elite but I'm really not fussed about the EMG's, preferred the finish on the Omen (walnut) and wouldn't mind something that isn't Mahogany for a change. I leaning toward an Agile Intrepid though now, I am a little worried I'm going to get absolutely raped in taxes shipping it here :noplease:

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I've got the Damien Elite 8 and there are definitely a few things I'd change.
The 26.5" definitely makes the F# a little bit too loose for my taste. If you're tuning to F, you might want to consider a bigger scale.
I've also got beef with the lower horn, it greatly sacrifices comfort when playing way up on the high frets. You have to angle your hand a lot just to reach the 24 with your pinky. I've had this discussion with someone on here before and apparently it doesn't bother them, but it bothers the shit out of me.
The weight is good, and the neck definitely isn't as bad as people make it seem. If the whole horn thing won't bother you, it's not a bad option. Just watch your gauges with the lower tuning.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I've also got beef with the lower horn

I was okay with the lower horn, but I can see how some people wouldn't like it (I'm not a huge lead guy).

The weight is good, and the neck definitely isn't as bad as people make it seem.

Honestly, the Damien's balanced better than any 8 I've played, including the 2228. Maybe I just got a neck heavy 2228, though.:shrug:

luca9583

Reaction score

I would go for the Agile 830. It makes sense to go for 30" scale because after you've tried tuning to low F, you'll almost certainly want to try lower tunings..and the 30" scale will give you wider possibilities and much better low end even in standard tuning. 830 neck is also very playable.:fawk:

Danxile

Reaction score
Buying the Agile Interceptor Pro 830 was the best music related decision i have ever made in my entire life. unbelievable build quality for the price.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
There should be at least a couple stores that stock eight-strings relatively close to you. The last time I was in England I was up in Newcastle. GuitarGuitar there had a couple of RGA8's in as well as the rgd2127 and the rg1527. Check out their website, as they usually have some cool stuff.

Crunchy

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I'm almost certainly going for Agile. In anyones experience are the lower cost Agiles as good as the most expensive ones? I ask because id rather have the single pickup, ash body thing.

Either the Intrepid 828 or Intrepid Pro Dual 830. Why dont they do a single pickup, ash body, 30' scale! :wallbash:

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I'm almost certainly going for Agile. In anyones experience are the lower cost Agiles as good as the most expensive ones? I ask because id rather have the single pickup, ash body thing.

Either the Intrepid 828 or Intrepid Pro Dual 830. Why dont they do a single pickup, ash body, 30' scale! :wallbash:

as I remember they had 830, single pickup and bolt on ash body, probably just sold out

Crunchy

Reaction score
I'm pretty much set on an Intrepid:). I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't get the same thing in a 30' scale. I have to keep reminding myself that's its an inch and a little and that 28.6 is still a hell of a long scale :yesway:

')