First Build - Burled Redwood 8 String Straight Scale

• Thread starter Rap Hat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to start a guitar build for probably close to 15 years now, and the task has always seemed too daunting/I haven't had the time needed (excuses!). While looking at the OAF fall run thread someone posted that Oregon Wild Woods had gotten a couple amazing burled redwood tops - literally the moment after seeing them I decided to finally start my build!

I'm doing it in two parts to make it easier and less overwhelming for me. First up is a replacement body for my Agile intrepid 828. When that's done I'm going to start on the neck and take my time, and once it's complete I'll combine the two and have a self-built 8-string! This lets me have a 28.625" to record with while working on the neck, and if I screw up on the neck it won't be the end of the world.

Here are the specs (starred are tentative):
  • 8 string straight scale (28.625")
  • E1-E4 tuning
  • Modified double cut body shape
  • 2 piece alder body
  • Salvaged old-growth burled redwood top
  • 3 piece flamed maple neck or 3 piece FM and ebony*
  • Asymmetrical neck profile*
  • Figured bubinga fretboard w/20" radius
  • Medium jumbo nickel frets
  • Burled redwood headstock overlay
  • Dimarzio DA8 pickups
  • 1vol, 1tone w/coil split, 3-way
  • Hipshot bridge or maybe a Hannes based on money*
  • Grover Rotomatic 18:1 tuners
  • 12th fret inlay (2 dots)*
  • Luminlay glowing side dots
  • Black hardware
  • Bass ferrule on E1 string, guitar ferrules on rest
  • Gloss poly body finish*
  • Tung oil neck finish

So far I have the body, top and fretboard woods, pickups, electronics, tuners and most of the tools I'll need. I have to grab the rest of the body supplies (ferrules, bridge and poly), then the neck supplies will be bought over time to spread out the financial impact (including fret tools).

Since this is my first build it's going to be a big learning experience. I have a decent amount of woodworking experience so I'm not too worried about that aspect, but the frets are daunting and where I'll be taking the most time. If it looks like I'm making a mistake feel free to let me know, I'd rather be yelled at here than screw up the build.

Thanks for your interest!

E: Oh, and I'm definitely open to suggestions! Be it body shape, neck woods, neck profile, techniques and so on. As this is my first build I'm not going for a specific setup (i.e. my dream guitar) so I'm willing to try something if it sounds cool!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

Reaction score
Here's what's coming in the mail next week (don't have pics of the alder, but y'all know what that looks like):

burl.jpg

Old growth burled redwood top

bubfb.jpg

Bubinga fretboard (mine is on the far left I believe)

Alder.jpg

Alder 2 piece body blank (mine is left)

And here's a quick mockup (not the shape or setup I'm using) so I could see how the top might look:
mock.jpg

Last edited:

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I knew I shouldn't have opene OWW's last email. Really beautiful stuff.

Best of luck with your build!

Oh, and if fretting worries you, buy a fret press. It's almoast fool proof.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Wow - that top is going to be awesome! Good luck on the project - in for the ride!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I knew I shouldn't have opene OWW's last email. Really beautiful stuff.

Best of luck with your build!

Oh, and if fretting worries you, buy a fret press. It's almoast fool proof.

I was curious about this. Are the standard fret press bits (or whatever they're called) like you get from Stew-Mac or LM wide enough for 8-string frets?

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Hmmm, they are wide enough for a 7 depending on string spacing, overhang etc. Probably not for an 8...

Rap Hat

Reaction score
Hmmm, they are wide enough for a 7 depending on string spacing, overhang etc. Probably not for an 8...

I know Tom Drinkwater uses a fret press of some sort for his 8s, I'll probably ask him what when I get to that point.

I've had to stop myself from looking at OWW and Gilmer for the time being; every time I stumble across a good looking piece of wood I feel compelled to buy it.

Rap Hat

Reaction score
Anyone else see the kinda devil face in that top? WANT.

Hahaha holy shit, I didn't notice that! I was disappointed that OWW didn't have any devil face burls so I went with this piece... looks like I didn't miss out after all!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Love the choice of bubinga for the fretboard!

Rap Hat

Reaction score
That burled redwood could not have come too cheap, shes gonna be beautiful

It was pretty expensive, all things considered. I could've gotten a heavily flamed thick maple cap for the same price but the redwood hooked me in a way that maple can't. There were some cheaper pieces but they had significant voids, something I didn't want to deal with. Honestly I've grown away from looks, I'm more concerned about a functional guitar with the woods I jive with best... But like I said, there was something about this burled redwood that clicked. It does mean some compromises on my end; normally I would've focused on weight and ergonomics above all else, but now that it's getting a fancy top I don't want to "ruin" the aesthetics of it.

I'm still working on shapes - I won't be going all .strandberg* since balance is a concern (a small body isn't going to work well with a heavier necked non-headless) but it's also not going to be a standard superstrat/RG shape.

Reaction score
It was pretty expensive, all things considered. I could've gotten a heavily flamed thick maple cap for the same price but the redwood hooked me in a way that maple can't.

Exactly. Heavily flame capped guitars; while gorgeous, are very common. Burled redwood though, not so much. Its gonna look awesome. I say why not for for a Mayones Regius shape? That mockup looks gnarley!

')