First build! (Ibanez/Blackmachine content)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
^I think he means something like soaking it completely in watery cyanoacrylate or epoxy.

Yeah, a luthier that I know* uses the dilute cyanoacrylate method on his spalts, with Danish oil finishes.

@jarnozz, the spalt is due to mould/rot attacking the wood which makes it very delicate and prone to breaking down. The rot also needs to be halted. Putting a hard lacquer on it will help, but a soft finish like oil may leave it open to damage.

* Rhymes with "pack sheen". :spock:

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
Yeah, a luthier that I know* uses the dilute cyanoacrylate method on his spalts, with Danish oil finishes.

@jarnozz, the spalt is due to mould/rot attacking the wood which makes it very delicate and prone to breaking down. The rot also needs to be halted. Putting a hard lacquer on it will help, but a soft finish like oil may leave it open to damage.

* Rhymes with "pack sheen". :spock:

good you mention this. I´m going to contact the seller if the wood got a treatment like that. If not I might go for a different finish. Maybe a tung oil? I've seen a lot of great guitars with a tung oil finish:yesway:

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^You can do it yourself... Dilute some CA glue (super glue) with demineralized water and squeegee some on the top, let it soak in and then give it some more. Then let it dry for 24 hours and do it again.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
^You can do it yourself... Dilute some CA glue (super glue) with demineralized water and squeegee some on the top, let it soak in and then give it some more. Then let it dry for 24 hours and do it again.

That sounds easy enough! should I do that right away or wait before I finished all the routs etc? Could you describe that process a little more detailed?

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
So I´ve got a few updates. Most of them are good, on of them is just fucked..

Starting with the good ones!

Got a package of joy today and stared working on the guitar right away!

dsc02702l.jpg

containing: Danish oil
Ibanez lo pro bridge with all the parts needed,
top and bot mounted routerbits, top was on the router already.
screws and washers for the neck

put some danish oil on a scrap piece. This is the result of one coat

dsc02697q.jpg

Now of the the crappy part.
I wasn´t pleased with the depth of the neckjoint so I decided to make it deeper. I got a top bearing router bit and even made a template! Now I don´t know how but while i was routing a branch from the tree I stood under broke and fell on me.... God is messing with me and he doesn´t want me to finish this guitar I guess xD bad part is that I pushed my router against the side of the template quit hard as a reflex. The template shifted and I router the damn thing too wide... I was mad, very mad:mad: then I figured 2 things I could do. One, put a pickguard on it to cover the damage. two, glue a piece of wood against it and fill the gap there is with glue mixed with sawdust of the same wood. Thought I´d go with option two. and if that doesn´t work out I need to find a decent looking pickguard... This surely messed up my mood xD

here it is..

dsc02703va.jpg

anyway here is a glorious picture I made to ease the pain, just forget about the clamp xD

dsc02705c.jpg

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
This week I attached the neck to the body to measure the bridge position. Also rasped the heel to give it a nicer look and a rounder feel. Don't have pictures of that yet but the tape will show what is going to be removed.
but first.
How to check if your neck is leveled with your body...

LAZERS:fawk:
dsc02717uv.jpg

nothing to special. drilling went well, everything fitted nice and snugly.

dsc02721if.jpg

Now I was thinking about doing another project after this one. I really love doing this and might do this for a living one day. Everyone tells me to pursuit my dreams and well, this is one of em:lol: I love it and it turned out nicely. Learned a lot of things you only learn if you really do it for real. So I spent a good hour busting my head to come up with stuff and this mockup rolled out.

8stringer.jpg

Not sure about the shape yet but I love the way it looks! Maybe change the hardware to golden ones and add some controlsxD forgot those... That is the actual top. If I act fast It's mine :rolleyes: Looks a bit like an evil eye.

Let me know what you think as always!

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
I love it.

On a side note, you know... it is almost Christmas soon, I don't really expect MUCH this year... :lol::lol:

Thanks! I hope to finish her before Christmas, besides pickups and electronics I have all the remaining parts at hand. Time is my biggest enemy in this case xD

ihunda

Reaction score
Congrats, you're a god to me!
Now can't wait to see it with a finish on :) Only a month before Christmas my friend!

')