First build (sketchy fakemachine content)

• Thread starter Crimsonghost
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonghost

Reaction score
Finally got my first build going. I decided to go for a 7 string BM clone. I did start on the neck a few months ago, but decided to hold off until Santa brought me a new table saw and miter saw. :hbang:

Although I did start by making a body template out of mdf, I didn't have the proper router bit and ended up making a pretty big mess.

After some sanding, planing, freehand routing, and and general chopping away with my Dremmel (yeah, it's a six string pup, just there for reference)

And now I started some rough routing

Not sure if you can tell, but I started working on the arm contour.

So far, I have to say it's been an interesting experience. I'm a pretty handy guy, but there's definitely some tricky things going on here. The body still need a fair bit of shaping.

the dimensions are a bit different then the original plans, mostly because I had to shave down extra bits after my initial routing hicup. But, now I'm using this as an excuse to just kinda go for it and not worry about messing anything up. I mean, you're looking at maybe $15 worth of wood and a couple hours of time. Not a huge investment for what I'm learning.

Hopefully I'll have some time for more updates this week. :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonghost

Reaction score
Thanks! It's northern ash. I had a "neck" made of hondo rosewood and paduak, but I got a little excited with my miter saw and things didn't turn out to well...:lol:

')