First full song, live drums, miced guitars, Blackstar content

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So i got together with my drummer today and we recorded one of our songs with him on his kit, its a one mic mix on the drums, which turned out better than i thought possible with one mic. The guitars are my HT20 miced up with a shure 8800 (older budget mic) in a large room. no vocals yet, but theres a solo towards the end. Just wanted to share this with some folks!

Listen here

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
What one mic technique did you use on the drums...

Because the Tchad Blake method is really easy and really quick and really awesome.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
That really runs the gaumet stylistically. Great feel.
Nice guitar tone.

Thanks man, this is the first song I wrote specifically for this band. I'm still getting the hang of miced up guitar, but i like that it's way less fizzy when miced up, probably helps that the power tubes are doing their thing.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
What one mic technique did you use on the drums...

Because the Tchad Blake method is really easy and really quick and really awesome.

Tried a few different ones, at first had it in front of bass, but not enough snare, so we moved it between snare and first tom, right in front of the drummer. It's a vocal mic. I still think the snare is too soft.

OK i'm curious, what's the Tchad Black method, and should there be a "T" in it?

BillNephew

Reaction score
It sounds like the compression threshold is too low on the heavy guitars when they come back in because I hear a bit of "pumping" as it's called.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like the compression threshold is too low on the heavy guitars when they come back in because I hear a bit of "pumping" as it's called.

came to say this

also it sounds like the guitars are either far from the mics, or there's a chorus effect on them?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ yes definitely some compression issues, i'm still learning for sure. The miced cab was in a hardwood floor room, which was no good. No chorus, just rookie engineer. I re-recorded guitars with a blanket over mic & cab, and eased off the compression. Thanks for all the tips, anymore are welcome! Much better now....

Sky2, blackstar HT20, miced guitars by vbshredder on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Edit - just listened to the original post, very happy with the improvement!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Ok, this is take 3 on the mix. Re-recorded clean guitars through mic rather than direct. Got the guitars less fizzy and more beefy/up-front, cleaned up a few changes with some digital silence, made solo easier on the ears with EQ & used automation to lower guitars during solo. Lowered the bass and made it more of a foundation type tone. EQed the drums some more (all one track, one mic). As always, suggestions appreciated as i have plenty to learn. Vocals should happen today at practice.

Sky3lowerbasslessfizz by vbshredder on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score

It's not guitars getting pump'd, it's the drums pumping it...

E: Drum bus compression threshold is too high and probably ratio too.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^ are you talking on the newest mix (posted later in the thread) or just the original? sounds fixed to me now, if something is still pumping that i'm missing, I need to fix that.

on the drums, i used quite a bit of compression, mainly due to the lousy recording method and to even out the actual performance.

The major pumping showed up on the original mix in the mastering compression, mainly because i didn't know what the hell i was doing....live n learn!!

')